Basically. If you're in a text conversation with someone you can send them money directly from within that conversation using the Apple Pay iMessage app, from what it sounds.
    Thanks. That is certainly an advantage, if they have an iPhone.
    I guess, to me, its seems its more an adjunct to using PayPal rather than a replacement.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    06-06-2017 02:49 PM
    Except it doesn't touch Paypal's services. It is just like that, but only for Apple/iMessage users. It also won't have the purchase protection that you get with Paypal, but you should only be doing person to person Apple Pay with people you know, so theoretically that wouldn't matter.
    Quis89 likes this.
    06-06-2017 03:07 PM
    There are strict legal requirements for transferring from one person directly into anothers bank account including restrictions using anonymous details which Apple Pay does.
    By using Apple Cash Card Apple doesn't send your bank account details on, rather anonymous Apple Cash Card Ones.
    Once the funds are local to you the secure wallet app can access your bank account details and do a direct transfer in.
    Safer for everyone, meets legal requirements and handy for kids as you can load an Apple card with funds without them tapping the main bank account.
    06-06-2017 05:55 PM
    I agree. That was the best thing from the keynote. I was hoping for a dark theme or even file management system for iPhone.
    The dark theme is actually something I’ve been dreaming for. Coming from Apple it will definitely look awesome.
    larsonage likes this.
    06-06-2017 06:58 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it appear that you need to recharge a card to do that stuff? Is not possible to do it with your actual Apple Pay card? I don't know for you guys but for me is a little of a hassle if is in that way like paying syatbucks with a prepaid card for your rewards instead of your credit card. Don't you think so?
    06-07-2017 05:14 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it appear that you need to recharge a card to do that stuff? Is not possible to do it with your actual Apple Pay card? I don't know for you guys but for me is a little of a hassle if is in that way like paying syatbucks with a prepaid card for your rewards instead of your credit card. Don't you think so?
    You can still use your credit card and debit card to pay for goods and services as you do now.

The Apple Cash Card is simply a holding card in addition to your existing Ines and in real life will only be used to hold money you receive from iMessage transfers or in my example where I can load money on to cards for the kids without giving them access to my credit/debit cards.
    06-07-2017 05:19 AM
    Pretty cool feature
    06-07-2017 05:36 AM
    There are a couple banks locally for me that allow you to send money to family and friends via their App through a EFT method but there is always charges involved and it's not that great.

Having this option built right into the phone not only makes me feel safer about using it but it's also free. 😃 So I'm pretty excited to get this.

All donations to my account are welcome haha jk 😂
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-08-2017 04:49 AM
    This is a feature that I'm on the fence on... It seems cool, but I don't know how practical it is for me at this time. In my area, Apple Pay is still rarely enough used that I get comments when I use mine. The kid at McDonald's was pretty excited the other night because he hadn't had anyone use a watch to pay yet, and that's in a pretty affluent small town!

I think it's good to have the means in place, it may just be something that will take longer for wider adoption.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-08-2017 08:41 AM
    @bigtruck1369 - should be interesting to see adoption rate after 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc. Who's going to win this battle? Apple or Android/Samsung... or someone else?
    bigtruck1369 likes this.
    06-08-2017 08:46 AM
    sounds like great tech and very easy. but how safe it ? whats involved to set it up ? How quick are payments ? are their charges or commissions?
    06-08-2017 09:42 AM
    Might just be my favorite feature in iOS 11 for how convenient it is.
    06-08-2017 02:16 PM
    Banks are going to move away from paper and plastic. Its a matter of time. They will do this because fraud is almost built into the system.
    06-08-2017 02:59 PM
    So you have to "charge" that card with money for the first person to person transaction isn't it?
    06-08-2017 07:43 PM
    "Technology is not new", no, it's better to say technology has not grown. So they try to introduce it again, maybe it will work.
    06-08-2017 10:37 PM
    This is a feature that I'm on the fence on... It seems cool, but I don't know how practical it is for me at this time. In my area, Apple Pay is still rarely enough used that I get comments when I use mine. The kid at McDonald's was pretty excited the other night because he hadn't had anyone use a watch to pay yet, and that's in a pretty affluent small town!

I think it's good to have the means in place, it may just be something that will take longer for wider adoption.
    I think the most important thing to take away from this is that is doesn't rely on establishments updating their hardware.
    The way I see myself using this feature is when I'm out for a meal with friends or family and everyone wants to pay what they own rather than splitting evenly.
    The bill comes to me and I send my money to the "designated pay person" via Apple Pay which then sits on the Apple Pay Cash Card (APCC) on their phone which they move into their bank.

Using whatever method they then choose they pay for the meal.
    That person then doesn't have to chase money from people and isn't out of pocket as transfers are instant.

I also plan on using it to transfer money to my daughter so she can use an APCC to pay for things when she is out without giving her access to my credit cards.
    It also means I know that she can have access to money in an emergency with a simple iMessage
    06-09-2017 09:20 AM
    I think the most important thing to take away from this is that is doesn't rely on establishments updating their hardware.
    The way I see myself using this feature is when I'm out for a meal with friends or family and everyone wants to pay what they own rather than splitting evenly.
    The bill comes to me and I send my money to the "designated pay person" via Apple Pay which then sits on the Apple Pay Cash Card (APCC) on their phone which they move into their bank.

That person then doesn't have to chase money from people and isn't out of pocket as transfers are instant.

I also plan on using it to transfer money to my daughter so she can use an APCC to pay for things when she is out without giving her access to my credit cards.
    It also means I know that she can have access to money in an emergency with a simple iMessage
    I agree that it does seem like it will work well, but my question was more about users than vendors. Not many people in my area actually use Apple Pay, so I think it will take some time for others to adopt so that I could use the peer-to-peer stuff.
    06-09-2017 09:29 AM
    I agree that it does seem like it will work well, but my question was more about users than vendors. Not many people in my area actually use Apple Pay, so I think it will take some time for others to adopt so that I could use the peer-to-peer stuff.
    Oh definitely. P2P is a very new concept compared to manually typing in account numbers and sort codes into an app or... dare I say... cash (shudder) is still the norm which will take some getting use to
    06-09-2017 09:32 AM

I agree 100%. That is the perfect case for this, and what I thought of immediately when it was announced. There are definitely other uses (i.e. wife and I recently booked a trip with some friends, and they don't use paypal so we wrote them a check to cover our half, wouldn't have to do that with this), but splitting a dinner will probably be the most used.
    06-09-2017 09:33 AM
44 12