Does iOS 10 make apps taking more storage than iOS 12?

mikmak9068

Jun 17, 2019
Visit site
On my iPhone 6s Plus which has iOS 10, the game "clash royale" takes 800MB but on my iPad mini 2 which has iOS 12 it takes only 190MB. Btw, my clash royale account on my iPhone is the same account on the iPad so it has the same data in both, and I usually play it more on the iPad than the iPhone so howcome it takes more MB on my phone? Probably 'cause my phone has iOS 10?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On my iPhone 6s Plus which has iOS 10, the game "clash royale" takes 800MB but on my iPad mini 2 which has iOS 12 it takes only 190MB. Btw, my clash royale account on my iPhone is the same account on the iPad so it has the same data in both, and I usually play it more on the iPad than the iPhone so howcome it takes more MB on my phone? Probably 'cause my phone has iOS 10?

Dude, you’re probably one of 10 people using iOS 10 so I doubt many people here will be able to offer a definitive answer. It’s possible that the new Swift programming allows for a smaller size, but I’m only guessing.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
First of all, welcome to iMore. Why haven't you updated to iOS 12 on your phone? It's available for your 6s Plus!

mikmak9068

Jun 17, 2019
Visit site
First of all, welcome to iMore. Why haven't you updated to iOS 12 on your phone? It's available for your 6s Plus!
I'm afraid iOS 12 will slow down my iPhone cause that's what it did to my iPad... and also I think iOS 10 is more comfortable...
If the iOS isn't the problem which making my apps take a lot of storage then why should I update?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm afraid iOS 12 will slow down my iPhone cause that's what it did to my iPad... and also I think iOS 10 is more comfortable...
If the iOS isn't the problem which making my apps take a lot of storage then why should I update?

Both of your devices are "older"... I would think that that it would run better with updated software. I'm going to ask another member of iMore, @Ledsteplin to jump in here. I believe he's still using an iPhone 6s. He may be able to offer some advice.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I have a 6s Plus on iOS 12.3.1. It runs much better than iOS 10. My first iPhone 6s Plus was on iOS 10.1.1 for 3 years. It finally needed a new battery. Took it to the Apple Store and they broke the camera and torch. So, they gave me a brand new iPhone 6s Plus, but it was on iOS 11. I went ahead and updated it to 12. It runs a lot better than 10 did on my old 6s Plus. I do miss my 32 bit apps though. The changes took some getting used to. 10 to 12 is a big jump. A lot in Settings is different. But it runs great. Everything is fast.

mikmak9068

Jun 17, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the answers but I really need to know what is the reason to my problem and if the iOS isn't the reason my apps take so much storage then I won't update, my phone works absolutely perfect... maybe it's something else causing the problem

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the answers but I really need to know what is the reason to my problem and if the iOS isn't the reason my apps take so much storage then I won't update, my phone works absolutely perfect... maybe it's something else causing the problem

It could be that App Thinning (making apps smaller on certain devices) isn’t as advanced as on iOS 12. Therefore the app takes more place on iOS 10 if compared to iOS 12.

Like @Ledsteplin said, iOS 12 is better optimized to run faster and smoother on older devices.
You’re safe to upgrade to iOS 12 without fear.

mikmak9068

Jun 17, 2019
Visit site
It could be that App Thinning (making apps smaller on certain devices) isn’t as advanced as on iOS 12. Therefore the app takes more place on iOS 10 if compared to iOS 12.
Like @Ledsteplin said, iOS 12 is better optimized to run faster and smoother on older devices.
You’re safe to upgrade to iOS 12 without fear.
So updating is the only solution? If it is, so i will update ...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

If internal storage is your root issue then updating your OS will be beneficial as you will gain storage overall on your device

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to iMore. I am running iOS 12 on my iPad Mini 2 and don’t notice a slowdown, one bit. In fact, it seems faster and more stable.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

As far a app size goes, on iOS 12, they will either be a bit smaller, or the same. When I switched to 12, I didn't notice any app size difference. But in iOS 13, they're supposed to get much smaller. 50% smaller, according to what they said at WWDC.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711