Remove original e-mail when replying

tvmangum

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to prevent the native e-mail app on the iPhone to not send the original e-mail message. I have a 6Plus and even with the larger screen, replying and having the original message included does not look professional.

TIA for any suggestions.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to prevent the native e-mail app on the iPhone to not send the original e-mail message. I have a 6Plus and even with the larger screen, replying and having the original message included does not look professional.

TIA for any suggestions.
If there is, I couldn't find it.
Hopefully someone who has a solution will come and reply in this thread, soon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the stock mail app all that often, but I cannot think of a setting that does what you want. Of course, I prefer including context in my replies. I disagree with you; I think that it's unprofessional to reply to a message without including at least part of the messages that you are replying to. People don't always recall what they've sent when they read your replies. Back "in the day", people with AOL accounts always replied without context, which I assume was a default setting for AOL, and I sometimes had to look back at what I set to get some context on what they were talking about. However, I digress.

Anyway, one trick: in the original message, highlight a single word of the message, by long-pressing on one of the words, then hit reply. The only part of the original message that will be included in the reply is the single word, which can be more easily deleted from the text of the reply.

Of course you can also long-press in the replay before you type and "select all" and "cut" to remove all of the text before you compose the reply.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

TIA for any suggestions.

Am I understanding you correctly. You want to reply to an email but not include the original message that you are replying to?

Not sure why you would want to do that. Most people appreciate being able to see the message they are receiving a reply to.

I don't think there is a way to do that in the stock email app though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you would want to do that. Most people appreciate being able to see the message they are receiving a reply to.

As I said, I prefer seeing context in my messages, but in one sense I agree with the original poster: getting a message with a single sentence (or even word) with a whole collection of nested quoted messages from prior messages is a pain, and unprofessional. Especially when it includes multiple copies of the same disclaimer in the signature from the person with whom you are emailing. It'd be nice if quoted messages below your reply could more easily be cleaned up, perhaps to include only the last two messages, or more easily chose what is included below your reply?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
As I said, I prefer seeing context in my messages, but in one sense I agree with the original poster: getting a message with a single sentence (or even word) with a whole collection of nested quoted messages from prior messages is a pain, and unprofessional. Especially when it includes multiple copies of the same disclaimer in the signature from the person with whom you are emailing. It'd be nice if quoted messages below your reply could more easily be cleaned up, perhaps to include only the last two messages, or more easily chose what is included below your reply?

Gotcha. I'm all for options. It would be nice to include what you would like without having to go in and delete select info.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods