Apps no longer auto update

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble with Apps automatically updating? I have to go in and tap the update button now, I verified the setting is correct, I did the 10-tap to reset the cache, hard reset, nothing.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't remember the last time apps updated automatically.
I have had to tap the update for a very long time now. I stopped worrying about it. It's became a routine to check for updates every once in a few hours now. (Or maybe I'm checking for updates too often, so it doesn't even get the chance to auto update.)

Hopefully someone else with more inside will come along with a solution.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I prefer to manually update so I haven't noticed any issues with auto updates, obviously. Hopefully, more members will reply soon.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my apps never auto update anymore unless it's overnight, while plugged in to power, and connected to wifi. During the day and off the charger they never update auto update anymore. It's been that way for some time now.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
iOS 8 is the last time I recall apps automatically updating without any issues. I've usually had to manually update since iOS 9, although it'll very occasionally work.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I update apps manually on my 6s Plus. But auto update on my old iPhone 5, because I don't use it much. I haven't noticed any issues auto updating on the 5.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Mine seem sorta slow to auto update but they do with a delay of about a day or two. Sometimes I find myself checking for updates and manually updating.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine seem sorta slow to auto update but they do with a delay of about a day or two. Sometimes I find myself checking for updates and manually updating.

And that's probably why many think they don't update. They're just slow to do so. I prefer to do mine manually anyway.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because there's a 100 mb limit on downloads and updates. Some updates may be more than that.

I just meant the auto updates. Other than that if I manually update the size usually doesn't matter. I think I've only received that "over xxxmb" message once or twice.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
And that's probably why many think they don't update. They're just slow to do so. I prefer to do mine manually anyway.

It's still changed behavior. Under iOS 8, my devices would install all updates available when it checked (usually around 21:30). It never let apps with updates sit for days. Now it does and many of us wish it didn't.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's still changed behavior. Under iOS 8, my devices would install all updates available when it checked (usually around 21:30). It never let apps with updates sit for days. Now it does and many of us wish it didn't.

I can see maybe 24 hours, but several days is too long. My old iPhone 5 auto updates ok.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
So did anyone ever figure out how to get apps to automatically update? Cannot remember the last time they did on my iPhone. Used to update on wifi without even being connected to a power source. Now I have to manually update them each time.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I just decided to stop checking manually and let the phone do it's thing albeit it a little slow to auto update but it does. Mine seems to normally do it either late night or early morning but very rare during the day. The only reason I know this is I happen to check my phone for something and notice an app icon shows installing on the screen.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually wondering now if auto update only automatically triggers when the device is plugged in.

Sent via the Comm Center of the Takari

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods