Turning off 2 factor authentication

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
My dad's iPad Pro 12.9 inch has 2 factor turned on now because when I updated it to 10.3.1 it asked for a number so I put theirs in.

We don't want it on his iPad because of several reasons and would like it OFF, but what happens if I remove the number it asks for another "trusted number."

An email from Apple today said we have until April 23 to turn it off otherwise it will be permanent.

They might not always have another second Apple device so I don't want to deal with this in the future if I ever have to wipe the Pro clean.....

How do you truly cancel 2 factor?? Just want to go back to a login password.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I believe that you have to turn it off on a computer. Log in to the Apple ID here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915 and click "Edit" in the security section. It will ask you to create new account security questions when you turn off two factor. Or you can use the link in the email that was received when you set up two factor if it is within two weeks.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID | OSXDaily

Thanks but we got rid of our Microsoft computers years ago. Would desktop work on the iPad?

One more concern is say they only have the iPad Pro, and the other dies (IPad Air). Can they still verify for 2 factor authentication through the phone? As long as that is always an option then I would not be concerned about this maybe.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but we got rid of our Microsoft computers years ago. Would desktop work on the iPad?

Yes, I just verified that you can. Log in to that website on the Safari browser on the iPad. Log in with the Apple ID, verify the two factor, and then you can tap edit in the security section and turn off two factor.

One more concern is say they only have the iPad Pro, and the other dies (IPad Air). Can they still verify for 2 factor authentication through the phone? As long as that is always an option then I would not be concerned about this maybe.
Yes, whenever I try to log in to my Apple ID, I get notifications on all of my devices (MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad) to verify the login attempt. You can set which devices are trusted devices from that same apple ID security edit page I linked to above. Again see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915 - scroll down for this:

View and manage your trusted devices

You can view and manage a list of your trusted devices in the Devices section of your Apple ID account page.

Go to your Apple ID account page.

Sign in with your Apple ID.

Go to the Devices section.

The device list shows the devices that you're currently signed in to with your Apple ID. Select a device to view the model, serial number, and other useful information, including whether or not the device is trusted and can be used to receive Apple ID verification codes.

You can also remove a trusted device. Removing a trusted device will ensure that it can no longer display verification codes and that access to iCloud, and other Apple services on the device, is blocked until you sign in again with two-factor authentication. If you need to find or erase your device before you remove it from your trusted device list, you can use Find My iPhone.

Also, Apple does have an account recovery process, though it takes a few days: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe that you have to turn it off on a computer. Log in to the Apple ID here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915 and click "Edit" in the security section. It will ask you to create new account security questions when you turn off two factor. Or you can use the link in the email that was received when you set up two factor if it is within two weeks.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID | OSXDaily

I turned mine off on my iPhone 6s Plus. No computer. I just followed the prompts in the email they sent.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I didn't do it yet, I might rethink the whole thing and leave it I'm not sure now.

I read that unless you have to wipe the device clean and reinstall everything you might not ever need to do it again.

It's just that if my parents muck up something on their iPads it's a nightmare trying to talk them through it from another city, very difficult to do if you've ever tried it I don't recommend having to do it. So perhaps it's not as bad as it sounds. We'll see. I might try tomorrow.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How did you get past the "add trusted phone number" part of it?

I don‘t recall that. This was when I updated to iOS 10.1.1. Been a while. I do recall it was easy to undo it. I just followed what it said do in the email. When do you see "add a trusted phone number"? Would that be so they can text you the code?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You can have multiple trusted phone numbers - in fact, it is encouraged. I have two myself - my phone, of course, and my Google Voice account. At some point I'll ad my wife's phone number. This is, of course, important if you lose your phone, or even the SIM card in your phone fails while you are traveling. You want to have another trusted number to contact in case the primary cannot be contacted, you are not where the phone is, etc. So, you could add your phone number as a trusted phone number as well if you keep two factor.

Trusted phone numbers do not need to be mobile phones - you can have codes received by voice call as well.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I just want to keep it simple for them, they are older and I am not always around to help if there is a problem on their ipads. They only have one phone number, no cell phones. This all is getting to be a bit too much for some people.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I'll try this later and see how it goes......

But I have to use the browser safari on the iPad to do it

2c9cd0e9f7d79e00ecc76c3340d88753.jpg

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah we deleted that email from the trash but we decided to leave it and will just do the big updates when I am around where 2 factor might be required, like iOS 11 in a couple months.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I didn't do it yet, I might rethink the whole thing and leave it I'm not sure now.

It's just that if my parents muck up something on their iPads it's a nightmare trying to talk them through it from another city, very difficult to do if you've ever tried it I don't recommend having to do it. So perhaps it's not as bad as it sounds. We'll see. I might try tomorrow.

I've had this experience with my own Mother, and my Mother in law, and it's incredibly difficult. I admire them for embracing technology and using it quite a bit, but when something goes wonky, and you get a call in the middle of the night, or at work, it can be frustrating and difficult. For that reason, we opted not to turn on 2FA on my Mother in law's new iPad Air 2.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had this experience with my own Mother, and my Mother in law, and it's incredibly difficult. I admire them for embracing technology and using it quite a bit, but when something goes wonky, and you get a call in the middle of the night, or at work, it can be frustrating and difficult. For that reason, we opted not to turn on 2FA on my Mother in law's new iPad Air 2.

Haha exactly! Well I know someday I will get the call but I told them the big updates can wait until I am back again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR