Hi,
    Yesterday me and my friend started using iMessage, it all went well. But I am extremely confused how iMessage handles offline messages.

So basically my friend's phone was offline, it is the only Apple device he owns, so the iMessage is only configured on his iPhone. I sent him a message when the phone was offline, it didn't say Delivered, which is what it's supposed to happen when a device is offline. As with all messaging apps I expect the iMessage to be delivered the next time the phone comes online.

However, 20 minutes later the message somehow turned green, and said "Sent as Text Message". The text box also changed from iMessage to Text Message. This really surprised me because AFAIK it's not supposed to do that. My phone's connection with iMessage servers was 100% fine, and even gave the message sent sound.

Now what's more strange is that my friend responded my message when my phone was offline. I have iMessage configured on my Mac as well, but they were both off completely. But his messages didn't get turned into SMS messages. I received them as iMessages when I connected my phone again. And the text box on mine changed to iMessage again.

Can anyone explain why this thing happened? I know there is a setting called "Send as SMS" but what does it mean by "when iMessage is unavailable"? Is it talking about the Apple servers, the recipient's device or what? Because as I said before his messages didn't get turned into SMS messages. And with that setting on, isn't it supposed to prompt me if I want to send as SMS?

Also, can someone explain to me what this website is for, if the iOS device can detect the person's iMessage is offline anyway?

I would really appreciate if someone can respond to my query ASAP as I'm going to avoid iMessage for the time being. Thanks.
    robertk328 and kimmaree like this.
    03-31-2017 05:36 AM
    Hi there, @ahnafm -

In my experience it's working as it should. When you're not on data (LTE, wifi) or when iMessage servers are not available, it will use your wireless provider's SMS servers and show as green. If your friend did not have the SMS option enabled, they obviously won't send that way. If you're in areas of the world where your wireless provider charges for SMS, you may want to leave that function off and use iMessage only.

The website you listed is to take your phone off the iMessage system so someone who is switching away from iPhone to another type of device (i.e. Android) doesn't show up as blue/iMessage when someone is sending them texts and will allow them to be delivered more efficiently as they won't try to send as iMessage first to a device without iMessage installed.
    wenrob and kimmaree like this.
    03-31-2017 06:51 AM
    Also, if your friend powers his phone off, then when you send a text, it will show green on SMS. Or if your friend's phone is out of battery it shows green.
    03-31-2017 08:51 AM
    Thank you for the explanation. However I notice that my country (Bangladesh) isn't on the country selector in the deactivate page. I find this really strange because iMessage is supported here with my carrier (it's even on the Apple certified carriers page?) so if my iPhone happens to abruptly stop working, how can I use the site to deactivate my BD phone number?
    robertk328 likes this.
    03-31-2017 10:40 AM
    Can anyone explain why this thing happened? I know there is a setting called "Send as SMS" but what does it mean by "when iMessage is unavailable"? Is it talking about the Apple servers, the recipient's device or what? Because as I said before his messages didn't get turned into SMS messages. And with that setting on, isn't it supposed to prompt me if I want to send as SMS?
    My experience has been the same as yours. For example, when I send messages to my son, who definitely uses iMessage, occasional messages will show green - this tells me when he's had his iPhone turned off for a period of time. This is when I know I have a good internet connection, in part because other messages I send to other people around the same time deliver properly as iMessages.

I have never, ever received a prompt asking me to send as SMS. This setting is there, I am sure, to allow you to make sure that a message will be delivered no matter what - that it will not be held in limbo if iMessage fails. I suspect that there is a time period when it retries delivery to a registered device for iMessages for the recipient. If it cannot successfully deliver, it falls back to SMS/MMS.
    03-31-2017 12:34 PM
    Thank you for the explanation. However I notice that my country (Bangladesh) isn't on the country selector in the deactivate page. I find this really strange because iMessage is supported here with my carrier (it's even on the Apple certified carriers page?) so if my iPhone happens to abruptly stop working, how can I use the site to deactivate my BD phone number?
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is the deactivate page? Do you mean iCloud? You wouldn't need to deactivate anything, unless it's to sell the phone or give it away. In that case, you turn find my iPhone off in iCloud. Then sign our of iCloud and wipe the phone by "Erase all content and settings".
    If you mean turn off your phone service, call your carrier and they will do that.
    03-31-2017 12:41 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is the deactivate page? Do you mean iCloud? You wouldn't need to deactivate anything, unless it's to sell the phone or give it away. In that case, you turn find my iPhone off in iCloud. Then sign our of iCloud and wipe the phone by "Erase all content and settings".
    If you mean turn off your phone service, call your carrier and they will do that.
    http://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

My country, Bangladesh is not there for some odd reason.
    03-31-2017 12:44 PM

If you do it like I stated above, no need to deregister the iMessage. I haven't seen an option to deregister iMessage in any of my iPhones. Generally people call Apple to do that. You can go to iCloud.com and remove that phone from your account. Also, just toggle iMessage off in settlngs > Messages along with the other I said do. You can even sign out of iMessage. People who need to deregister iMessage usually forgot to turn find my iPhone off. That's the main thing to do.
    03-31-2017 01:54 PM

Why are you trying to deregister your phone?
    03-31-2017 06:44 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is the deactivate page?
    It's in the OP ... meant for those switching to another device without iOS and don't want their phone number associated with iMessage.
    03-31-2017 06:46 PM

If you want to deregister iMessages you simply go to settings on your iPhone and turn off iMessages. That web page is for people who no longer have possession of their iPhones to do so ...
    I might add that if you're able to send & receive text messages, stop worrying about what color they are. iMessages has away of sorting itself out after awhile, and people trying to "fix" it only makes things worse ...
    robertk328 likes this.
    04-01-2017 09:51 AM
    I suspect you had “Send as SMS” turned on (in Settings>Messages).

I always have this setting turned off. When somebody’s out of range, the iMessage just sits there waiting for them to come back into service - unless I long (or force) press on it and manually sent it as an SMS text.

Keeping this setting off also means that I avoid unintended charges for MMS texts when sending photos, etc - here in the UK these are chargeable.

Better just to send iMessages to other Apple users, because you don’t really ever know whether a regular SMS text has actually been delivered or not.
    01-20-2018 04:19 PM