Emoji keyboards

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
When you have allow full access turned on in order to use your emoji keyboards, does it use more battery. What is the purpose of full access vs not having it turned on

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Full access does not use more battery. If you don't allow full access you won't be able to use the keyboards. It's need full access.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Do you really need to download a 3rd party emoji keyboard? iOS has that functionality built in.

Enabling Full Access for 3rd party keyboards allows them to do things like connect to the internet (to download predictive text for example) or to talk to a companion app. Giving a keyboard full access, in theory could mean that the keyboard could log your keystrokes and send them somewhere, although for an emoji keyboard you're not really entering text that could include sensitive information.

Apple states that all 3rd party keyboards "should" have basic functionality with Full Access disabled, but that's more of a guideline not a rule.

Before enabling full access, you should find the developer's privacy policy and read it thoroughly, it might explain why the keyboard needs Full Access. If the developer doesn't have a privacy policy, or there is some wording that seems a bit shady you should not enable Full Access - and uninstall that particular app.

Further reading: https://techcrunch.com/2014/10/04/e...-keyboard-permissions-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The purpose I recall is to allow the developer to fix any errors in there app but this will also give them access to your keystrokes

iOS will revert to the stock keyboard when it detects that sensitive info is to be entered in theory but I never trust 3rd party full access

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you really need to download a 3rd party emoji keyboard? iOS has that functionality built in.

Enabling Full Access for 3rd party keyboards allows them to do things like connect to the internet (to download predictive text for example) or to talk to a companion app. Giving a keyboard full access, in theory could mean that the keyboard could log your keystrokes and send them somewhere, although for an emoji keyboard you're not really entering text that could include sensitive information.

Apple states that all 3rd party keyboards "should" have basic functionality with Full Access disabled, but that's more of a guideline not a rule.

Before enabling full access, you should find the developer's privacy policy and read it thoroughly, it might explain why the keyboard needs Full Access. If the developer doesn't have a privacy policy, or there is some wording that seems a bit shady you should not enable Full Access - and uninstall that particular app.

Further reading: https://techcrunch.com/2014/10/04/e...-keyboard-permissions-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

I have no problem granting access to SwiftKey or any other 3rd party keyboards any more or less than granting access to photos for editing apps. Or access to my mic. I may even trust SwiftKey more than Apple, who has access to your stock keyboard. I have not heard of any keyboard dev stealing anything. They simply don't do that. Dropbox can see your photos. So what?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem granting access to SwiftKey or any other 3rd party keyboards any more or less than granting access to photos for editing apps. Or access to my mic. I may even trust SwiftKey more than Apple, who has access to your stock keyboard. I have not heard of any keyboard dev stealing anything. They simply don't do that. Dropbox can see your photos. So what?

That said, I think it's important to be aware of the risk associated with allowing tech companies and devs access to our information. Nor would I ever say a company wouldn't do that. I'm sure those who purchased Vizio televisions didn't think they would have their information sold off.

I too trust devs like SwiftKey and Google with my personal data. But it's a risk I willingly take. I can understand why others wouldn't. I don't put anything past any human being who knows what money looks like, lol.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That said, I think it's important to be aware of the risk associated with allowing tech companies and devs access to our information. Nor would I ever say a company wouldn't do that. I'm sure those who purchased Vizio televisions didn't think they would have their information sold off.

I too trust devs like SwiftKey and Google with my personal data. But it's a risk I willingly take. I can understand why others wouldn't. I don't put anything past any human being who knows what money looks like, lol.

Seeing that Apple restricts 3rd party keyboards from important personal data, I don't see it as much of a risk.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Fwiw, Swiftkey is Microsoft. I used to use swiftkey on android; as soon as the sale happened, I wiped my data and ditched the app. It's one thing to have apple and/or google have access to my data; I don't want to add another one.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw, Swiftkey is Microsoft. I used to use swiftkey on android; as soon as the sale happened, I wiped my data and ditched the app. It's one thing to have apple and/or google have access to my data; I don't want to add another one.
Microsoft is not in SwiftKey spying on people. SMH!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is not in SwiftKey spying on people. SMH!

I didn't say that they were. However, I want to reduce the number of companies that have private information about me.

Right now I know from their actions that Apple is doing all that they can to keep my information private. Google I believe is as well, though I am less sure than I am about Apple. I'm really not as sure about Microsoft's commitment to my privacy.

But, what I am sure about is that I want to reduce the number of companies collecting data about me, which can be sold for their benefit, to as few as possible. The stock iOS keyboard is more than good enough for me; the stock Google keyboard in Android is as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say that they were. However, I want to reduce the number of companies that have private information about me.

Right now I know from their actions that Apple is doing all that they can to keep my information private. Google I believe is as well, though I am less sure than I am about Apple. I'm really not as sure about Microsoft's commitment to my privacy.

But, what I am sure about is that I want to reduce the number of companies collecting data about me, which can be sold for their benefit, to as few as possible. The stock iOS keyboard is more than good enough for me; the stock Google keyboard in Android is as well.

What kind of "Private" info do you think SwiftKey would glean from you? I've been using their iOS keyboard since the beginning of iOS 8. No issues at all.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
What kind of "Private" info do you think SwiftKey would glean from you? I've been using their iOS keyboard since the beginning of iOS 8. No issues at all.

Do you mean what kind of private data *could* they glean from me? Almost everything I type (except credit card numbers, usernames and passwords in iOS, because Apple doesn't allow third party keyboards in those fields, and I believe that Swiftkey has a policy not to collect that anyway for Android). Everything that they autocorrect as well. URLs typed in Safari. Every word typed in an email. Every word typed in a Facebook post, no matter what the privacy setting is. Everything I type into a calendar event, into a contact entry. Everything typed into the Message app, including to whom I am sending the message. Everything search term that I type in any app.

Their data collection policy: https://swiftkey.com/en/data-security

What "issues" are you expecting? I didn't say that Microsoft/Swiftkey was nefarious; I didn't say that they would cause problems. I said that I don't care to share my private data with them. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the keyboard; I'm saying that I don't want to use it.

Note that they could change their data storage and collection policy at any time, and if they did so before I had a chance to wipe the data that they collected about me, or they changed their policy that allowed me to wipe that data, they could have collected years worth of information that I typed using their keyboard.

I strongly doubt that they will do this. Microsoft cannot risk the bad publicity if something like that happened. But - it could.

I should note that I never considered these issues until the sale to Microsoft. It was then that it hit me - I was trusting this company to keep this data private. I was trusting that their servers would not be hacked. I don't think that there is all that much value in what I type - but there is some. I think Swiftkey (particularly on Android) is a great keyboard app. It's just not for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean what kind of private data *could* they glean from me? Almost everything I type (except credit card numbers, usernames and passwords in iOS, because Apple doesn't allow third party keyboards in those fields, and I believe that Swiftkey has a policy not to collect that anyway for Android). Everything that they autocorrect as well. URLs typed in Safari. Every word typed in an email. Every word typed in a Facebook post, no matter what the privacy setting is. Everything I type into a calendar event, into a contact entry. Everything typed into the Message app, including to whom I am sending the message. Everything search term that I type in any app.

Their data collection policy: https://swiftkey.com/en/data-security

What "issues" are you expecting? I didn't say that Microsoft/Swiftkey was nefarious; I didn't say that they would cause problems. I said that I don't care to share my private data with them. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the keyboard; I'm saying that I don't want to use it.

Note that they could change their data storage and collection policy at any time, and if they did so before I had a chance to wipe the data that they collected about me, or they changed their policy that allowed me to wipe that data, they could have collected years worth of information that I typed using their keyboard.

I strongly doubt that they will do this. Microsoft cannot risk the bad publicity if something like that happened. But - it could.

I should note that I never considered these issues until the sale to Microsoft. It was then that it hit me - I was trusting this company to keep this data private. I was trusting that their servers would not be hacked. I don't think that there is all that much value in what I type - but there is some. I think Swiftkey (particularly on Android) is a great keyboard app. It's just not for me.

I'm not concerned about it. I know of no instances since 3rd party keyboards began in iOS 8 where anything bad happened. Do you not use any photo editing apps either? They might peek at your private photos.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner