Help With Fillable PDF Attachments

fatclue_98

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have searched on various sites to see if anyone has a solution to my query. I have various Field Managers reporting to me and one of their responsibilities is getting me daily reports. We have a template in place to make it easy to just populate a few fields and zip it along to me. The company uses Android phones and tablets throughout the country but I'm the maverick who uses an iPhone (previously a Windows phone) and I'm on an island. It seems iOS hasn't gotten around to natively read fillable PDF forms. Open the attachment and it's a blank slate. Even my archaic webOS Touchpad handles this with aplomb but I'm not always able to have a tablet or PC with me.

Is there any way to do this natively? Am I doing something wrong or is this an obscure limitation with iOS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. If I can find a fillable .pdf form to send to myself, I'd test it out for you. In the meantime, I'm hoping a member who can answer your question or provide a recommendation will reply soon.

fatclue_98

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. If I can find a fillable .pdf form to send to myself, I'd test it out for you. In the meantime, I'm hoping a member who can answer your question or provide a recommendation will reply soon.
I love the avatar. What can I say? It's all about The "U". We invented swagger.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
How will this, or any other app, open the attachment in Mail? I'm not aware of being able to set default apps in iOS.

When you tap and open the PDF in the mail app, the sharing control is bottom left. Tap that and any of the apps that can fill forms will allow you to share the PDF to it, or open the PDF in the app.

fatclue_98

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
PDF Expert will work also. Same concept with opening in mail and choosing to open in the application.

Ok, Adobe is what I'm used to so I downloaded it. I see what you're all saying about opening the PDF in Mail then "sharing" with Adobe to be able to see the filled in items and so forth. I appreciate the guidance but please excuse me if I think this is a most counter-intuitive method of doing things. Would it kill Apple to bake a basic reading function into its PDF reader? I can understand using an app, whether free or paid, to edit and/or create a fillable document but reading should be native.

As a sidebar, I'm impressed with Mods and Ambassadors jumping right in to assist me. As a former Mod myself on Windows Central I know how hard it is to check every new thread. Great job guys.

klimbo13

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I need to add the ability to attach a file to a PDF form. The file type that needs to be attached would most likely be a pdf, docx, or doc (if that matters). I'm working in Acrobat Pro DC, but the form will need to work in Reader as well. I think Java Script can accomplish this, but I have no idea how to write Java.