Contact sync with GMail

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I sync contacts via GMail not iCloud, in part so I can then sync contacts with Thunderbird. In theory, I should be able to make an addition or change on any part of this and have it reflected on the others in short order.

The past week or so this is not happening.

I made a couple of changes (one add and one modify) to my contact list from my iPhone (iOS 10.2.1) and it failed to sync through Google.

The new contact, after being added from the phonefailed to show on the phone's Contact list. I eventually found it buried in the "Other" section of GMail's contacts which removed it immediately from the phone until I re-added it to the Contact list. The modify I changed on the phone to correct a name. This never synced to GMail at all. I changed it on the GMail side and now it's correct everywhere.

I have made no changes to my sync settings. The only changes I've made to any of my accounts was changing my SMTP server (on the phone and in Thunderbird) from my web host's broken service to GMail's SMTP server. But I find it hard to believe that is relevant to the issue.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It works absolutely fine for me, and always has.

Go to settings / contacts / accounts, tap the Google account, and make sure that Google account has "contacts" turned on. Alternatively, delete and add your Google account back.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I sync contacts via GMail not iCloud, in part so I can then sync contacts with Thunderbird. In theory, I should be able to make an addition or change on any part of this and have it reflected on the others in short order.

The past week or so this is not happening.

I made a couple of changes (one add and one modify) to my contact list from my iPhone (iOS 10.2.1) and it failed to sync through Google.

The new contact, after being added from the phonefailed to show on the phone's Contact list. I eventually found it buried in the "Other" section of GMail's contacts which removed it immediately from the phone until I re-added it to the Contact list. The modify I changed on the phone to correct a name. This never synced to GMail at all. I changed it on the GMail side and now it's correct everywhere.

I have made no changes to my sync settings. The only changes I've made to any of my accounts was changing my SMTP server (on the phone and in Thunderbird) from my web host's broken service to GMail's SMTP server. But I find it hard to believe that is relevant to the issue.

I had a similar issue with gmail last night but it's working ok today!