IOS 10 app issues

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I have just bought an iPhone 6s Plus 32Gig 10.2, however allot of my apps are still only 32-bit...

In iOS 10.1, Apple introduced a popup to warn users "<x> app may slow down our phone" I'm worried that this would indicate developer probably has abandoned these apps,as as times goes on it will be deemed "Apple cleanup" to remove abandon apps from the app store as Apple has once said..

I don't see a way around this, because Apple does not allow downgrading legitimately, and new devices only come with the latest iOS's on them.

Apple is basically shoving users under the rug because it doesn't want the App Store to become a mess only.

A few of these apps still work regardless like Dark Nebula 1 & 2 and Final Fight, but they are 32 bit only... I'm wondering how long till Apple starts saying"only 64-bit apps can be on the App Store" which although would clear allot of them out, its basically also saying "You gotta do things our way"

Dark Nebula for example freezes after 1st level... Being one of the best games i've played on IOS, I wonder what the future would hold here. Good or bad??

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have just bought an iPhone 6s Plus 32Gig 10.2, however allot of my apps are still only 32-bit...

In iOS 10.1, Apple introduced a popup to warn users "<x> app may slow down our phone" I'm worried that this would indicate developer probably has abandoned these apps,as as times goes on it will be deemed "Apple cleanup" to remove abandon apps from the app store as Apple has once said..

I don't see a way around this, because Apple does not allow downgrading legitimately, and new devices only come with the latest iOS's on them.

Apple is basically shoving users under the rug because it doesn't want the App Store to become a mess only.

A few of these apps still work regardless like Dark Nebula 1 & 2 and Final Fight, but they are 32 bit only... I'm wondering how long till Apple starts saying"only 64-bit apps can be on the App Store" which although would clear allot of them out, its basically also saying "You gotta do things our way"

Dark Nebula for example freezes after 1st level... Being one of the best games i've played on IOS, I wonder what the future would hold here. Good or bad??

You're blaming Apple for the developer failing to update the app? Is that what you're saying? I've read this post three times and that is the best I can make of it.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

When you go to the App Store listings for each of your apps in question, you have the option to contact the developer. Do so and complain.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I realized that the iPhone 5 is still supported and runs iOS 10. It has a 32 bit processor. You could always trade with someone who has an iPhone 5, which should then run your 32 bit software with no alert messages.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I realized that the iPhone 5 is still supported and runs iOS 10. It has a 32 bit processor. You could always trade with someone who has an iPhone 5, which should then run your 32 bit software with no alert messages.

Swap a 6s Plus for a 5 because of the pop ups? Lol They're not a big deal. They only come up occasionally. I have about 8 that do it.

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Eventually the application would stop working as the OS is updated if the developer is not maintaining it, regardless of whether the application is 32-bit or 64. If it is an app you like, then you just have to hope the developer eventually updates it. I agree with one of the other commenters in that you should contact the developer. Hopefully if enough people do they may update the app for 64 bit.

Last edited:

Deanig_12

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
o_O is it just my self or is this a serious thread ?????? im sorry but you cant blame the company for the developers app if you experiencing problems then i suggest you report to the devoloper as its only them that can rectify the situation there nothing wrong with the phone its the app thats outdated and needs to be updated

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I personally don't consider apps that haven't been updated in years to be worthy of my time. If a developer hasn't done any work to update an app or game, consider it abandoned and look for a viable alternative. For every one of your favorite apps or games, I would bet money that there is a similar one in the App Store that is published by a developer that actually cares about keeping his or her work up to date and current. I applaud Apple for requiring developers to keep up with progress or get booted from the App Store. I don't want old, outdated technology bogging down my system.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
o_O is it just my self or is this a serious thread ������ im sorry but you cant blame the company for the developers app if you experiencing problems then i suggest you report to the devoloper as its only them that can rectify the situation there nothing wrong with the phone its the app thats outdated and needs to be updated

Exactly. There are similar threads on the AC forums about Google somehow being responsible with non-updated apps affecting Android in unexpected ways (like Doze not kicking in). People do need to realize that the OS manufacturers can't be responsible to keep up with hundreds of thousands of apps if the developers of those apps refuse to update them. Apple is certainly more aggressive by removing them from the App Store, but ultimately, it's the customers who either need to abandon apps that never get updates or continue to pester the developer to update their apps.

brixtonboy

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I posted about whatsapp no longer supporting the iPhone 3
That didn't surprise anyone. Think it was iOS 6.
Not one single reply was posted.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is the pop up seen on the apps in question. Most of these are no longer available in the App Store. Apple pulled some of them. Others simply abandoned by the dev. In any event, trying to contact the dev is fruitless. I've tried many times with those I have an email for. You just keep using it until it no longer works. All mine still work.
414d3e93e59af6cc362ebc95eca36f5b.jpg

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
It is a big deal when the delevoper re-releases it, and the origional one which previously worked, now freezes..

- One point comes to mind... no point in contacting developer because they will not keep old apps updated in favor of new app. Why would u ?
or two

- why pay for a re-release of something u already have anyway that worked just fine before.

I guess i can get used to the popup warning........ but i can't get used to paying for a new version of something that it now considered "broke"

I recently purchased these apps i would get a refund, but sadly i've purchased these several years ago... .. So i can probably only see one choice for me here. Bite the bullet and pay for a new version of those apps which no longer work fine :p

Which sux.. Is this what everyone else does ? If i knew in advance it wouldn't work with ios 10, i would have kept my iphone 6 with iOS 9.3.5... but the "compatibility" on the apps say iOS 6 and above,, which is not specific enough..

As for the developer, he's long gone as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is a big deal when the delevoper re-releases it, and the origional one which previously worked, now freezes..

- One point comes to mind... no point in contacting developer because they will not keep old apps updated in favor of new app. Why would u ?
or two

- why pay for a re-release of something u already have anyway that worked just fine before.

I guess i can get used to the popup warning........ but i can't get used to paying for a new version of something that it now considered "broke"

I recently purchased these apps i would get a refund, but sadly i've purchased these several years ago... .. So i can probably only see one choice for me here. Bite the bullet and pay for a new version of those apps which no longer work fine :p

Which sux.. Is this what everyone else does ? If i knew in advance it wouldn't work with ios 10, i would have kept my iphone 6 with iOS 9.3.5... but the "compatibility" on the apps say iOS 6 and above,, which is not specific enough..

I had a dev break an app I had, offering a new paid version. It was for iOS 7 when it first came out. I found another app with the same features that was free. There's not much you can do, except pay for the new one, or find a suitable replacement. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

or two

All of this points to a bad developer not an OS issue. If the developer abandons an app, there's nothing anyone (including Apple) can do about it. And if they release a NEW app and abandon the old app, there's nothing to be done about that either. Don't patronize those developers if it is an issue for you.

And you have contradicted yourself. First you say that you have to "pay for a new version of those apps" but then you say the developer is "long gone". If the developer is gone, then how are they releasing a new version?

But again, there's nothing to be done other than moving on.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have several APPs that I receive that waning on periodically. I just close the warning and continue on. I think I have about 2 APPs that no longer worked with the new iOS. I deleted them and found new APPs that did the same thing sometimes better sometimes not but they worked. It's just the price of trying to use old APPs on new iOS. I still have a Windows 7 machine at home. I have had several programs that refuse to run on it and they cost a whole lot more than an iOS APP.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I think you should look at is when the app was last updated. For example, pocket planes and now pocket trains has an announcement that pops up and says this app may slow down your phone. Other than these two I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox