IOS 10.2 backup not restoring properly

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok fine folks -- hoping someone can help shed some light on my issue. I got my daughter an iPad Mini 4 for christmas. Both her 6s and her iPad were on 10.2. I backed up her phone to iCloud and attempted to restore it to her iPad. Everything seemed to go ok (three times) but each time after the restore completed, her iMessages and contacts remained empty. Very frustrating.

So, I then did a full backup of her 6S via iTunes thinking that would take care of it. Restored the iTunes backup to her new iPad and the same thing! No contacts! No iMessages!

Does anyone here know what the issue is? I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've checked all settings and things seem fine. I am at a loss and it's bugging me like crazy.

Anyone have the same experience or knowledge of what is going on here?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the contacts are associated with iCloud or any of the email service then they should restore. They always have for me over the years. Try rebooting the device, connect to Wi-Fi, and then allow the device to sync with iCloud. In regard to your iMessages, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, I don't store them, and never have.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If the contacts are associated with iCloud or any of the email service then they should restore. They always have for me over the years. Try rebooting the device, connect to Wi-Fi, and then allow the device to sync with iCloud. In regard to your iMessages, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, I don't store them, and never have.

I've tried all that. Initially, I thought that it needed time to sync. I left it for hours and nothing came down. Really weird. I know it wifi was fine bc it restored all the apps and still nothing. My poor daughter ended up just manually sending all contacts from her phone to herself. I need to figure it out because I know I'll need to restore from backup for her again in the future.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Maybe because it's iPhone -> iPad and not iPad -> iPad.

I wouldn't think that would be the issue...it's just iCloud.. I would think as long as the phone is signed into iCloud and correctly setup in Settings-iCloud with the Contacts switch turned on and signed into iCloud on the iPad with same iCloud account and switches turned on, it should work... a very interesting situation to be sure..

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't think that would be the issue...it's just iCloud.. I would think as long as the phone is signed into iCloud and correctly setup in Settings-iCloud with the Contacts switch turned on and signed into iCloud on the iPad with same iCloud account and switches turned on, it should work... a very interesting situation to be sure..

You and me both. I checked her settings again and they're fine. Contacts are toggled on in iCloud and there is no option to choose iCloud contacts. That's the only one she has. Mine has multiple options bc I'm syncing with multiple sources, but she is not. I'm still at a total loss. Does anyone know if there's a way to see what's stored on iCloud? I'd like to verify it that way.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
You and me both. I checked her settings again and they're fine. Contacts are toggled on in iCloud and there is no option to choose iCloud contacts. That's the only one she has. Mine has multiple options bc I'm syncing with multiple sources, but she is not. I'm still at a total loss. Does anyone know if there's a way to see what's stored on iCloud? I'd like to verify it that way.

Well, if u sign into iCloud on PC and go into contacts they should all show there..

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You can log into the iCloud website to see all of the associated, calendar events, reminders, notes, pic and videos. You cannot, however, view iMessages, SMS, or MMS messages. All of the information via the iCloud website should be syncable to an associated device.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
You can log into the iCloud website to see all of the associated, calendar events, reminders, notes, pic and videos. You cannot, however, view iMessages, SMS, or MMS messages. All of the information via the iCloud website should be syncable to an associated device.

Yeah..that's what I said...

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

I am curious though...how the iPad Messages Send and Receive setting is set..as well as that setting on the phone..I think u have to have both the phone number and Apple ID email set on the phone, and the same Apple ID email set on the iPad...not sure if the lack of phone number on iPad is why the text messages aren't showing up after restoring backup or not...also have to make sure iMessage is turned on on both.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I am curious though...how the iPad Messages Send and Receive setting is set..as well as that setting on the phone..I think u have to have both the phone number and Apple ID email set on the phone, and the same Apple ID email set on the iPad...not sure if the lack of phone number on iPad is why the text messages aren't showing up after restoring backup or not...also have to make sure iMessage is turned on on both.

Lemme fine it when I find her next. She has bounced off with her friend being a young teenager. I'll report back when I get ahold of her devices.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. I had a major brain fart and was looking at icloud from my ios device. Logged in from my MBP and could see that her contacts were backed up there.

Is there a way to force iCloud to sync down to an iOS device?

Both her phone number and email address are checked on her ipad settings. I'm out of ideas. If one of you all can figure it out for me, you'll have my undying gratitude. I've lost hope thinking that it's just a simple setting that i was overlooking.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I had a major brain fart and was looking at icloud from my ios device. Logged in from my MBP and could see that her contacts were backed up there.

Is there a way to force iCloud to sync down to an iOS device?
First, initiate the Contacts app, select "Groups" and make sure that everything therein is checkmarked. If they aren't checkmarked, do so and then check to see if the contacts appear. If not, swipe downward while in the Contacts app to force a sync.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
First, initiate the Contacts app, select "Groups" and make sure that everything therein is checkmarked. If they aren't checkmarked, do so and then check to see if the contacts appear. If not, swipe downward while in the Contacts app to force a sync.

There is nothing in groups.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing groups.

Either reboot the iPhone or try the "Reset Network Settings" options to get it to resume with the data contained in iCloud. Also, make sure that The toggle next to "Contacts" is enabled in the iCloud settings on the device.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Either reboot the iPhone or try the "Reset Network Settings" options to get it to resume with the data contained in iCloud. Also, make sure that The toggle next to "Contacts" is enabled in the iCloud settings on the device.

I'm gonna try that when I get home. I just checked her phone and iCloud is listed in groups on her 6s. I don't think there's anything listed in groups on her new iPad. Will look again when we get home.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
When you performed the backup in iTunes, did you make it encrypted? iTunes won't backup sensitive information unless the backup is encrypted.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
When you performed the backup in iTunes, did you make it encrypted? iTunes won't backup sensitive information unless the backup is encrypted.

Nope I don't think I did. Is that really the issue though? It didn't work from iCloud either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73