Messenger on iOS 10.2 sound problem

emil234

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello all

I have a problem with Facebook messenger sound. First of all I can not change the notification sound (there is no option). But I can live with that. The biggest problem for me is that when I switch off sound in application then the sound still appear. When I switch off the sound in settings (setting of phone) then there is no vibration.

I would like have vibration without sound but I don't want to switch off all sounds (physical switcher on the left side of phone).

I'm not sure if this is a bug or this is normal.

Thanks in advanced for help

iPhone 6s
IOS 10.2
Messenger last version.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at your notification settings for the app.

Settings > notifications

Maybe you have sounds off there. Worst case, remove the app, reboot the iPhone, then reinstall the app.

Everything is stored on Facebooks servers so you won't loose your chats.

emil234

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks you for quick reply.
I've checked like you wrote (I've made reset as well) and I've checked it on phone of my girlfriend iPhone 6 and there is the same situation. I want only vibration without sound (FB messenger)but rest sounds for example sound for incoming phone need to be on.

I don't see solution for this :(

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks you for quick reply.
I've checked like you wrote (I've made reset as well) and I've checked it on phone of my girlfriend iPhone 6 and there is the same situation. I want only vibration without sound (FB messenger)but rest sounds for example sound for incoming phone need to be on.

I don't see solution for this :(

Did you try what I recommended?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I would like have vibration without sound but I don't want to switch off all sounds (physical switcher on the left side of phone).

I'm not sure if this is a bug or this is normal.

Unfortunately, this is normal. After using Android for many years, this to me is one of the weaknesses of iOS - that most apps give the user little control over notifications. You cannot change the sound in almost every app, and you cannot change the sound to nothing in order to preserve vibration only notifications *unless* you use the mute switch to turn off sounds for all notifications. System apps like Mail, Messages, etc., give you the ability to choose specific sounds (in settings / sounds). Android gives far more discrete control over settings like this.

It's disappointing to me as well. Not for Messenger, but I have some apps (ESPN is one example, which has an absolutely horrific notification sound) where I would love to have the ability to either change the sound to nothing, or at least to something else, or turn off sound but leave a vibration notification for a more discreet reminder.

emil234

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for reply. You are right. But some apps like WhatsApp have ability to change sound and just switch it off. So I think that messenger need some time and they will give us this opportunity.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73