WiFi password not accepted in iOS 10

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Are there any characters that iOS 10 doesn't like for wifi passwords? I'm asking because it seems that iOS doesn't like our strong passwords (12 characters long with upper and lower case letters and special characters). These same exact passwords work great on our windows pcs and Xbox as well as our Apple TV. On our iOS devices, we'll get the 'password incorrect' error and the device won't connect. We've performed all the usual troubleshooting- verify the password, forget and readd the network, reboot device, reset network settings, etc - all to no avail. Please help.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Double, triple, and quadruple check your entry. This was happening to me and it was an input error. I have a wild pw for my wifi and after finally entering it correctly it does work, so no there are no limitations set by iOS as to what your wifi pw can be.

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks much for the suggestion/reminder, but I know I'm entering the correct password.

I think I may have finally solved this issue. I used the 'other' option and entered the same information and am now able to connect and stay connected. It's been working great for the past couple hours; fingers and toes crossed it'll stay that way.

Thanks again.
Happy Holidays!

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks much for the suggestion/reminder, but I know I'm entering the correct password.

I think I may have finally solved this issue. I used the 'other' option and entered the same information and am now able to connect and stay connected. It's been working great for the past couple hours; fingers and toes crossed it'll stay that way.

Thanks again.
Happy Holidays!

I'm facing same problem, can you please describe in more details what you did?
Thanks

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Apologies for the delay in responding.
Here is what I did:

In Settings--> Wi-Fi under 'Choose a network'
Select 'Other'.
Enter the network name (SSID)
Select the security type
Enter the security code/password
Select 'Join'

This has been working on our iPad and Apple TV rather well; the only issue or complaint is that it doesn't immediately connect after a reboot. That said, my iPhone still drops the wifi connection a lot.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I did:

Select 'Other'.
Select the security type
Select 'Join'

This has been working on our iPad and Apple TV rather well; the only issue or complaint is that it doesn't immediately connect after a reboot. That said, my iPhone still drops the wifi connection a lot.

Have you tried rebooting your router?

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Here is what I did:

Select 'Other'.
Select the security type
Select 'Join'

Happy new year!

Thank you so much for your help but sadly this is not working for my iPhone.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The special characters might be causing the issue. I would try temporarily changing your wifi password so that it doesn't have special characters and try to connect the problem device normally (tap on your SSID, don't connect manually through "Other" unless you have a hidden SSID) and see what happens. Make sure to forget your network on the problem device first.

You should also make sure your router has the latest firmware installed and that you are using WPA2 / AES as the security type for your wireless network.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
The special characters might be causing the issue. I would try temporarily changing your wifi password so that it doesn't have special characters and try to connect the problem device normally (tap on your SSID, don't connect manually through "Other" unless you have a hidden SSID) and see what happens. Make sure to forget your network on the problem device first.

You should also make sure your router has the latest firmware installed and that you are using WPA2 / AES as the security type for your wireless network.

Thanks, my wifi password doesn't have special characters, my blackberry device connects without any problems.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Strange... because SSID shows up so dunno why when u choose "Other" the password is accepted ... Perhaps a Reset Network Settings, and if failing that a restore in iTunes ?

Thanks, my wifi password doesn't have special characters, my blackberry device connects without any problems.

Special characters are *not* the issue... I have the same in my 63-character WiFi-password and connects just fine on iOS 10.2

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
If you have your SSID hidden, don't do it; it causes more issues than it solves. People think that hiding the SSID improves security but it doesn't, someone with the right software can find your WiFi network regardless if the SSID is hidden or not.

nmarsh22

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
We recently purchased 2 iPads (Pro 9.7 inch). Both are are running ios 10.3 We are having daily issues with both devices connecting to the Wifi network in the office. The wifi password is 10 characters (numerals, lower case characters, no special characters). I enter the password (correctly) between 3 and 12 times before it accepts the password. It then will stay connected until the device sleeps, then it loses the network connection and will not remember the password. We also have two iPhones running ios 10.3.2 that cannot connect to the wifi network at all (entering the password no matter how many times and it just keeps asking).

I know I'm entering the correct password as I created a file where I typed in and triple checked the password, then copied to the clipboard and pasted. No extra spaces or characters are included.

I know it's not the wifi network - both my iPad 2 (running ios 9) and my Mackbook Pro connect first time everytime. No problems remembering the network or the password. It's only these 4 devices with ios10+ that 1. can't connect to the network without entering the password so many times and sometimes just waiting for some undefined amount of time to pass and 2. won't remember the network name or password.

I tried setting up using the Other option - it allowed me to connect after several tries but it doesn't remember the network the next day (or even after it goes to sleep for awhile).

The Applecare first level person I talked to thought it was a hardware problem. But that seems ridiculous when I have two iPad Pro 9.7 inch and two iPhones, all running ios 10 that are having the exact same results. I tried resetting network settings but not resetting the whole device yet - I will test on my personal wifi network first to see if it remembers that network after a few days of not connecting.
Overall, Apple is pretty disappointing. They seem to have taken lessons from Microsoft on how to mess up a perfectly serviceable operating system. Worse, they don't want to acknowledge that it is a problem in their operating system or provide a way to resolve the problem.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We recently purchased 2 iPads (Pro 9.7 inch). Both are are running ios 10.3 We are having daily issues with both devices connecting to the Wifi network in the office. The wifi password is 10 characters (numerals, lower case characters, no special characters). I enter the password (correctly) between 3 and 12 times before it accepts the password. It then will stay connected until the device sleeps, then it loses the network connection and will not remember the password. We also have two iPhones running ios 10.3.2 that cannot connect to the wifi network at all (entering the password no matter how many times and it just keeps asking).

I know I'm entering the correct password as I created a file where I typed in and triple checked the password, then copied to the clipboard and pasted. No extra spaces or characters are included.

I know it's not the wifi network - both my iPad 2 (running ios 9) and my Mackbook Pro connect first time everytime. No problems remembering the network or the password. It's only these 4 devices with ios10+ that 1. can't connect to the network without entering the password so many times and sometimes just waiting for some undefined amount of time to pass and 2. won't remember the network name or password.

I tried setting up using the Other option - it allowed me to connect after several tries but it doesn't remember the network the next day (or even after it goes to sleep for awhile).

The Applecare first level person I talked to thought it was a hardware problem. But that seems ridiculous when I have two iPad Pro 9.7 inch and two iPhones, all running ios 10 that are having the exact same results. I tried resetting network settings but not resetting the whole device yet - I will test on my personal wifi network first to see if it remembers that network after a few days of not connecting.
Overall, Apple is pretty disappointing. They seem to have taken lessons from Microsoft on how to mess up a perfectly serviceable operating system. Worse, they don't want to acknowledge that it is a problem in their operating system or provide a way to resolve the problem.

It would be different if a lot of people were having the same problem, but if they are not then it would be wise for them to not take responsibility for something that something else could be causing. Various things, including protective cases, can cause Wi-Fi connection problems. I have a 9.7” iPad Pro and have never had connectivity issues of any kind with it or any other iPad I’ve had before it. With that in mind, have you tried using a different Wi-Fi network?

nmarsh22

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
It would be different if a lot of people were having the same problem, but if they are not then it would be wise for them to not take responsibility for something that something else could be causing. Various things, including protective cases, can cause Wi-Fi connection problems. I have a 9.7” iPad Pro and have never had connectivity issues of any kind with it or any other iPad I’ve had before it. With that in mind, have you tried using a different Wi-Fi network?

Yes. On my home wifi network, it accepts the password but doesn't remember the network (i.e. I have to log in every time I use my iPad on my home wifi). I have no case on my iPad. I've installed a couple of apps but made no other modification. If it were just one iPad, I would tend to think it was something else. But two iPads and two iPhones, same issue? All running ios 10.x. My iPad v2 has no problem connecting to either wifi network and it remembers every network I've ever connected to. But it's running ios 9. You don't mention what version of ios you're running... 4 devices with the same symptoms on the same operating system is too much of a coincidence.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. On my home wifi network, it accepts the password but doesn't remember the network (i.e. I have to log in every time I use my iPad on my home wifi). I have no case on my iPad. I've installed a couple of apps but made no other modification. If it were just one iPad, I would tend to think it was something else. But two iPads and two iPhones, same issue? All running ios 10.x. My iPad v2 has no problem connecting to either wifi network and it remembers every network I've ever connected to. But it's running ios 9. You don't mention what version of ios you're running... 4 devices with the same symptoms on the same operating system is too much of a coincidence.

I’m currently running iOS 11 on both my iPhone 7 Plus and my 9.7” iPad Pro, but even when I was using iOS 10, and iOS 9 before it, my devices connected to my Wi-Fi network without a problem. Anyway, is the “Ask to Join Network” option enabled in the Wi-Fi settings on the devices that you’re having issues with? If so, disable it.

nmarsh22

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
After a day or two more of having to enter the wifi password repeatedly, on Friday, both iPads starting connecting automatically - to the office and home wifi networks.
We didn't change anything but somehow the passage of time has sorted things out. I guess time does heal all.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
After a day or two more of having to enter the wifi password repeatedly, on Friday, both iPads starting connecting automatically - to the office and home wifi networks.
We didn't change anything but somehow the passage of time has sorted things out. I guess time does heal all.

Glad you got your issue worked out, regardless of what exactly happened to kick things back into gear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2