We have VIP for email on iPhone. Wouldn't it be great if they could do the same for iMessage/text messages . That way we only get notified by those we select as VIPs.
    12-20-2016 02:03 PM
    I agree that this would be good.

Let Apple know that you think that this is important: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
    12-20-2016 02:18 PM
    Why not go to settings > sounds> turn text alert sounds off. (None). Then go to Contacts and select an alert tone for each contact you want to receive an alert from.
    MrMars, TwitchyPuppy and Spencerdl like this.
    12-20-2016 02:40 PM
    Why not go to settings > sounds> turn text alert sounds off. (None). Then go to Contacts and select an alert tone for each contact you want to receive an alert from.
    That would work even though I'll have turned off text alert sounds?
    12-20-2016 02:50 PM
    Yes, I do this with my wife so I don't miss text from her. Works great with DND too.
    Ledsteplin and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    12-20-2016 03:19 PM
    This should work great! Also, was not aware of the emergency bypass option for contacts either.
    12-20-2016 05:59 PM
    I still wouldn't mind seeing better VIP alert settings than having to go into each one and make changes like this.
    MrMars likes this.
    12-20-2016 07:19 PM
    I still wouldn't mind seeing better VIP alert settings than having to go into each one and make changes like this.
    I agree. I submitted the suggestion to .
    12-20-2016 08:06 PM
    You can also use the Do Not Disturb feature in messages. Toggle off those you don't want notification alerts from.
    MrMars likes this.
    12-21-2016 04:18 AM
    I agree!!! that would be cool.
    12-22-2016 01:07 AM
    Rene Ritchie has mentioned this before on iMore and I agree a system wide VIP setting instead of just email. Maybe we will see it in iOS 11? As others have mentioned there are ways to do some of this now but you need to mess with multiple settings and do it for each "VIP."
    12-22-2016 09:25 AM
    You can also use the Do Not Disturb feature in messages. Toggle off those you don't want notification alerts from.
    This is helpful, but it cannot be done until you actually send or receive a message to a contact or group. You can't preemptively DND a message thread.

Most of the time I want to be notified whenever I have messages, but there are times when it would be nice to be notified only if it is from family. I don't think it's a huge deal, but it is nice to have. So the issue with using DND for this, as well, is that you'd be switching threads from DND and back again. (At least DND threads are marked by an icon.) One setting, such as with Settings/Notifcations for Mail, would be great.
    12-22-2016 09:37 AM
    but there are times when it would be nice to be notified only if it is from family.

This is why I create a default text tone for people that don't really matter when it comes to reading their text right away, and specific tones for each family member that does require immediate attention. When I hear that default tone, I'm just like "meh, someone that doesn't need my immediate attn", so I leave my phone in my pocket. If I hear one of those specific tones I know to check my phone right away. I also use "Emergency Bypass" feature for extremely important people like my wife.
    12-22-2016 11:00 AM
    Totally agree that VIP should work across all apps (at least Apple ones) and not just email. As for DND, I kinda like it as-is. I figure even if it's a family member, I don't need a text alert in the middle of the night. If it's an emergency, why not just call me?
    12-27-2016 12:21 PM
    Yes it works. Have a custom ring and vibrate for the Mrs

01-13-2017 04:40 PM