3D touch issue

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So I just recently noticed that when I use 3D Touch on the Messages icon I now only get the "new message" option. I used to get the last 3 contacts that I sent text/iMessages to but not anymore. Anyone else experience this and know how to fix it? I've already did a hard restart.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
That sounds odd. Perhaps try toggling 3D touch off, then rebooting and turning it back on again? It's under Settings > General > Accessibilty.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How long has it been since you sent a text message? Try sending new messages. Try swiping the messages app out of multitasking. Also try a hard reset (reboot).

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
How long has it been since you sent a text message? Try sending new messages. Try swiping the messages app out of multitasking. Also try a hard reset (reboot).

Today and yesterday, I'm a habitual app killer, already did hard reset a bunch of times last night and today after messing with different setting. Everything else works like it used to.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have now deleted all old threads I had going and started new fresh ones, through messages directly and using the 3D touch new message option, but the 3 most recent contacts still do not appear. :(

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Since the proactive feature is supposedly what populates the 3D Touch menu for the Messages app (it is not the three most recent contacts - see this), and the proactive feature is tied to Siri, I wonder if turning Siri off and on again would fix this? Or the same for Spotlight search (i.e., try playing with turning off Spotlight search for Messages, Contacts, and then turning it back on again.)

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the proactive feature is supposedly what populates the 3D Touch menu for the Messages app (it is not the three most recent contacts - see this), and the proactive feature is tied to Siri, I wonder if turning Siri off and on again would fix this? Or the same for Spotlight search (i.e., try playing with turning off Spotlight search for Messages, Contacts, and then turning it back on again.)

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck still. Oh well, at least the new message option is still there. Hopefully 10.2 will reset it for me when it drops. Keep the suggestions coming though if you all still have them.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As someone else suggested to me when I was having an issue, you might want to [URL="https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p]submit feedback to Apple[/URL]!

P.S.: Good luck!

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
OP... have you set any contacts up as favorites in the phone app? My contacts available in the 3D touch for message app are my top three favorites in phone app. Worth a shot.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
OP... have you set any contacts up as favorites in the phone app? My contacts available in the 3D touch for message app are my top three favorites in phone app. Worth a shot.

Yes, like I said it worked perfectly fine up until about a few days ago and nothing has changed anywhere else. It's pretty annoying but not completely annoying, at least part of it works, which is kind of the important part. I do miss being able to jump directly into a specific contacts text message though : /

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Today and yesterday, I'm a habitual app killer, already did hard reset a bunch of times last night and today after messing with different setting. Everything else works like it used to.

You do know killing all your apps regularly is not good? They have to work that much harder to open, which uses more resources.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You do know killing all your apps regularly is not good? They have to work that much harder to open, which uses more resources.

yeah but it is habit and I have never noticed that big of a difference in doing it and not doing it to care to change lol. Besides I only kill apps that I know I won't use constantly throughout the day. Messages stays open on the regular so your suggestion was actually helpful but I had already closed it prior to all the hard resets I did.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
yeah but it is habit and I have never noticed that big of a difference in doing it and not doing it to care to change lol. Besides I only kill apps that I know I won't use constantly throughout the day. Messages stays open on the regular so your suggestion was actually helpful but I had already closed it prior to all the hard resets I did.

Messages is the only app I never close. It's habit for me as well. I can't stand going to multitasking and having a ton of apps in there. It's almost a compulsion to keep it tidy in there.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Messages is the only app I never close. It's habit for me as well. I can't stand going to multitasking and having a ton of apps in there. It's almost a compulsion to keep it tidy in there.

I rarely go to multitasking. But I usually have about 100 apps there. Most are doing nothing but sitting there. Closing them is a waste of time for me. Lol

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The only apps I bother closing are the browsers, so they aren't sucking up my data in the background.