Does iOS 10 now require secure wifi to update

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I've got a user who is currently on iOS 10.0.2 and I'm trying to get him to update to 10.1.1. It just says that it can't check for updates, but he says email and Safari works and is on wifi.

I know Apple has made changes to the update process to secure it more, but is it possible his wifi is causing it? It does seem it's unsecured as he read me the warning his phone gave.

Of course I recommended that he get it secured, but that just got him mad "Have whoever caused this situation call me with a resolution". Tim Cook? His ISP when they installed wifi? Anyway...

I know we could update it through iTunes, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Is there anything that would prevent it from checking for updates but Internet works? I can see that our corporate email is getting to his phone.

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I'll see if I can get him to do that, good idea.

Worst case, I guess it's a good time of year, he'll very likely be around a family member that can help him, maybe even get his wifi secured if my user is hosting. He probably has grandkids.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It also depends on whether or not the location that is hosting the wifi has certain things blocked. My office has public wifi and I can dl iOS updates but I can't dl app updates. I asked about it and was told that iOS updates are critical to some users but apps are not.

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
It also depends on whether or not the location that is hosting the wifi has certain things blocked. My office has public wifi and I can dl iOS updates but I can't dl app updates. I asked about it and was told that iOS updates are critical to some users but apps are not.

This would be at his house so I can rule that out.

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I figured this out after talking to his son. He told me that they have XFinity, which made me remember that they have two wifi networks, the private one and the one that's open to all customers. He was connecting to the public one

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2