I've got a user who is currently on iOS 10.0.2 and I'm trying to get him to update to 10.1.1. It just says that it can't check for updates, but he says email and Safari works and is on wifi.

I know Apple has made changes to the update process to secure it more, but is it possible his wifi is causing it? It does seem it's unsecured as he read me the warning his phone gave.

Of course I recommended that he get it secured, but that just got him mad "Have whoever caused this situation call me with a resolution". Tim Cook? His ISP when they installed wifi? Anyway...

I know we could update it through iTunes, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Is there anything that would prevent it from checking for updates but Internet works? I can see that our corporate email is getting to his phone.
    11-17-2016 06:45 PM
    You could try this:
    Change your DNS settings. To do that, simply tap Settings > Wi-Fi then Tap the blue arrow next to your current Wi-Fi network. Tap the “DNS” field and enter the DNS servers; 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (Google’s Public DNS). After this, try a software update.

Source:https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-fix-u...dates-in-iOS-9
    11-18-2016 06:53 AM
    Some unsecured wifi works and other don't. Had that problem. All depends how the unsecured wifi is set up
    11-18-2016 07:06 AM
    I'll see if I can get him to do that, good idea.

Worst case, I guess it's a good time of year, he'll very likely be around a family member that can help him, maybe even get his wifi secured if my user is hosting. He probably has grandkids.
    11-18-2016 07:29 AM
    It also depends on whether or not the location that is hosting the wifi has certain things blocked. My office has public wifi and I can dl iOS updates but I can't dl app updates. I asked about it and was told that iOS updates are critical to some users but apps are not.
    11-18-2016 10:29 AM
    It also depends on whether or not the location that is hosting the wifi has certain things blocked. My office has public wifi and I can dl iOS updates but I can't dl app updates. I asked about it and was told that iOS updates are critical to some users but apps are not.
    This would be at his house so I can rule that out.
    11-18-2016 01:01 PM
    This would be at his house so I can rule that out.
    I wouldn't without checking his settings first, if you can that is. Especially if he is not the one that set it up.
    11-18-2016 03:33 PM
    I figured this out after talking to his son. He told me that they have XFinity, which made me remember that they have two wifi networks, the private one and the one that's open to all customers. He was connecting to the public one
    doogald likes this.
    11-23-2016 07:04 AM