iOS 10.1 Battery Life

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't usually notice a change in battery drain with OS update but mine has been disgusting since updating.

Needing to charge twice a day at least.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not noticing anything different on my 6s Plus, but thats not saying much since I've just returned from my annual iPhone sabbatical. I have been using either a Note 5, or most recently a Nexus 6p. I was quite pleased the first day I took my iPhone out of mothballs, and didn't have to charge it 2-3 times just to get through the day ...

harmsypoo

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed a TERRIBLE drop on 10.1 in overall battery life on the iPhone 7. Wondering what the impressions have been like out there for everyone else. I mean, it's damn near Android drainage rates...

Been about 2 1/2-3 days since I updated. So it should be settled in by now.

harmsypoo

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Girlfriends iPhone 6 has been having this issue since updating. Though, her battery could be to blame, and not the actual OS. It would suddenly die at 20% sometimes, and other times drain super quickly. Hope this gets resolved!

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 6s on AT&T and I've resorted to a battery case. My battery life and my daughters has been horrible. No change in usage. My daughters will power off at 40% and say it needs to be plugged in to charge. I'm almost to the point of switching to android.

Jamie, I sent you a PM but your box is full

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
So far the battery on my iPad Air has been pretty decent, at least equal to 10.0.2, and way better than 9 ever was. Although, I will say I had the best battery life on iOS 8 on my Air. I wish I could get that battery life back. It was amazing.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
One thing that has just helped me is resetting location services and privacy. I have no freaking clue why, out of all the hard resets I've done (even DFU resetting the firmware and everything) that this has worked. I've literally reset this phone like 10 times in the past week, so you would think location and privacy would get reset. But I noticed my location services was ALWAYS on. Weather was set to "Always" but that's because I need that widget to work and it should be on ALL the time (and it wasn't always purple). What got me wondering was noticing that "Location Based Alerts" was ALWAYS purple, even though I didn't have any location based alerts on. This may be a bug in iOS 10 or something, idk, but it was always purple WITHOUT any reminders created.

I noticed someone had suggested to reset location and privacy settings on the Apple boards, and again, even though it didn't make sense as to why it would make a difference now after all these hard resets, I did it anyway. My location services icon has now disappeared, I went back and enabled all the location settings for all my apps to the way they were, even weather (because they all get cleared). My location icon doesn't appear anymore, only when I do things that use the location (widgets or something) or when I wake the phone (which always happened before the bad battery drain started happening, and it would disappear so I'm fine with that).

May not work for everyone, but I highly suggest resetting location and privacy settings and then going back and re-enabling apps to see if:

1. You may have an app that is rogue or something
2. There may just be a bug in iOS 10 with location settings that keeps it on all the time for some reason

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just updated my 6s to iOS 10.1 this morning. I haven't noticed any marked difference so far, but I also haven't used my phone all that much today other than light texting.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I might try resetting the location services and privacy then. I don't think I have a lot on my iPad that should be activating location services and I don't have the location arrow pop up in the status bar, but it's worth checking anyway since I haven't in a long time. Good tip.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another thought is to see what apps are in the background. Like Facebook, I always had battery use with Waze, so I always force quit that one. Don't quit them all, as they should be running in the background (suspended state). If you do, each one will have to run in full when you re-launch it, which affects battery. Like closing/opening an app vs minimizing/maximizing.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Another thought is to see what apps are in the background. Like Facebook, I always had battery use with Waze, so I always force quit that one. Don't quit them all, as they should be running in the background (suspended state). If you do, each one will have to run in full when you re-launch it, which affects battery. Like closing/opening an app vs minimizing/maximizing.

See this is confusing. I use to always leave apps open in the background and I never noticed the drain I'm still noticing. While the icon has still not been appearing like it used to for location, my battery is still being weird. Apple ran diagnostics on my battery and it's "over" 100% health. My drain started happening 2 weeks ago, on 10.0.2 on my Verizon SE. Now I don't know if it could possibly have something to do with me using my Straight Talk AT&T SIM in my Verizon SE, but my battery life was fine when I started using it before 2 weeks ago (I've had the phone for 2 months now, still has warranty). My usage patterns never changed, always left apps open in the background, never turned off background app refresh, nothing. The only reason I could see the Straight Talk thing being a problem is because maybe there was a carrier update pushed for iOS 10 for Verizon iPhones and my phone can't get it since it "thinks" it's an AT&T SE. I've also noticed that phone calls sometimes won't come through and I'll just see a new "voicemail" icon without a missed call.

Prior to 2 weeks ago, I would be able to get up to like 40 mins of "usage time" before I would see a drop from 100% to 99% (sometimes more). Now, I can only make it 25 mins max before it drops to 99%. On top of that, it would go from 99% to 98% almost right after that (sometimes with only putting the phone to sleep and then waking it again, I would see it went to 98% almost 30 sec to 1 min after with no use between that time after dropping down to 99% from 100%).

I also wonder if it has something to do with my Apple account because I set the phone up as new before and didn't install any apps and the behavior remained the same. I've also noticed that my email will not push and notify me sometimes (I have to open my Mail app for mail to show up), while sometimes my mail does push and notify me (it's very random).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
(I've had the phone for 2 months now, still has warranty).

Prior to 2 weeks ago, I would be able to get up to like 40 mins of "usage time" before I would see a drop from 100% to 99% (sometimes more). Now, I can only make it 25 mins max before it drops to 99%. On top of that, it would go from 99% to 98% almost right after that (sometimes with only putting the phone to sleep and then waking it again, I would see it went to 98% almost 30 sec to 1 min after with no use between that time after dropping down to 99% from 100%).

Battery capacity decreases over time as it gets more charge cycles. I'd suspect that the behavior you are seeing is due to battery fatigue - yes, even after two months. 25 minutes to drop from 100 to 99 sounds great to me. I'd be more concerned over 10 percent drops over a short period. Battery capacity calculations are just guesses anyway, based on usage right now and since the lats full charge, so there isn't a lot of history to go by when the phone is fully or near fully charged.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I?ve seen that explanation for increased battery drain after a new iOS version before, @Ledsteplin, but I think that that applies more to major version jumps, i.e. going from iOS 9.x to iOS 10.0. Those major updates are the ones which are usually jam-packed with new and ?exciting? features that keep users glued to their phones for inordinately long periods of time.

What is so amazing about 10.1 that wasn?t there on 10.0.x that would cause this gentleman to use his phone so much more that he?s experiencing a ?TERRIBLE? drop in battery life after updating?

(Unless he?s gone crazy with the Portrait Camera feature and has been taking thousands and thousands of that kind of photographs? but I think he would realize that.) :)

It's still done, regardless of how big or small the update. Sometimes it's Settings that get messed up with an update. I always check all my location services and notifications Settings after an update. Lots of possibilities.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices