• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    I'm trying to show someone how to use the iMessage feature that sends balloons, confetti, etc. she does have iOS 10 but can't figure out how to send that stuff. I was able to show her how to send stickers & GIF's
    10-20-2016 07:02 PM
    Depending on the iPhone either long press the send button or Force Touch it and you'll see the new options.
    10-20-2016 07:22 PM
    1. For iPhones with 3D Touch (6s & 7 series) force press on the blue circle with the up arrow. For all other devices, use a long press.

2. Select the Screen tab, swipe to balloons, then tap the blue circle with the up arrow again.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-20-2016 07:26 PM
    Is there a setting she has to turn on because her iPhone 7 can't do it but mine can
    10-20-2016 08:20 PM
    Have her disable Reduce Motion in Settings > General Accessibility.

In iOS 10.1 you will be able to have Reduce Motion enabled and still use the new features. But until then having it disabled is your only option.
    10-20-2016 08:23 PM
    She's using 10.0.2. I'm currently not with her right now. What if she has reduce motion off
    10-20-2016 08:31 PM
    I didn't read that right. She has to have it turned on?
    10-20-2016 08:32 PM
    She's using 10.0.2. I'm currently not with her right now. What if she has reduce motion off
    That's a question we'll have to address after she checks it out.
    Honestly? Reduce Motion is the only thing preventing the new features from working.
    10-20-2016 08:32 PM
    I didn't read that right. She has to have it turned on?
    No, she has to have it disabled.

See this screen shot.
    10-20-2016 08:34 PM
    I just tried it on mine. Turning mine on it doesn't allow me to do it. Sounds like the bug to me . Or am I understanding this backwards
    10-20-2016 08:35 PM
    I just tried it on mine. Turning mine on it doesn't allow me to do it. Sounds like the bug to me . Or am I understanding this backwards
    True. In iOS 10.1, which I'm using the beta of, the following option will be added to it:

10-20-2016 08:37 PM
    So, for now she has to have it off?
    10-20-2016 08:40 PM
    10-20-2016 08:41 PM
    Does the new 10.1 feature use more battery
    10-20-2016 08:52 PM
    Does the new 10.1 feature use more battery
    I'm not sure Reduce Motion has any influence on battery life, on or off.

So, my answer would be no, it doesn't use more battery.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-20-2016 08:54 PM
    I'm not sure Reduce Motion has any influence on battery life, on or off.

So, my answer would be no, it doesn't use more battery.
    I would agree here. The difference at negligible at most.
    Tartarus and Just_Me_D like this.
    10-21-2016 05:49 AM
    Well, it seems plausible that reduce motion has some battery effect with iOS 10 if it doesn't show the iMessage effects like balloons, lasers, etc., depending on how many of those you get, of course. (Honestly, I don't mind animations all that much, but I wish there was a way to turn off the dumb iMessage stuff. I just want messages, not screen effects, stickers, etc.)
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    10-21-2016 06:38 AM
    I would agree here. The difference at negligible at most.
    I have seen multiple reports that turning this off has some effect on batter life, since it requires less processing power if you aren't doing that extra "animation".
    10-21-2016 07:40 AM
    Well, it seems plausible that reduce motion has some battery effect with iOS 10 if it doesn't show the iMessage effects like balloons, lasers, etc., depending on how many of those you get, of course. (Honestly, I don't mind animations all that much, but I wish there was a way to turn off the dumb iMessage stuff. I just want messages, not screen effects, stickers, etc.)
    Those things are not "in use", so to speak, until you actually use them. In the meantime, the iMessage app works in the same manner it did prior. Still, I get what you're saying. I'm not a fan of all of the additional add-ons either, but I understand that any business must do the certain things inline with its competition.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-21-2016 08:30 AM
    Those things are not "in use", so to speak, until you actually use them.
    I'll never use them (with the exception of the times I send "Happy birthday" and iMessage automatically adds the balloon effects, but I can't remember if that actually shows up on my phone or not). I can't control what people *send to me*, however. I want to turn off effects for messages that people try to send me, specifically. I just don't care or want to see them.
    10-21-2016 09:25 AM
    I'll never use them (with the exception of the times I send "Happy birthday" and iMessage automatically adds the balloon effects, but I can't remember if that actually shows up on my phone or not). I can't control what people *send to me*, however. I want to turn off effects for messages that people try to send me, specifically. I just don't care or want to see them.
    Believe me, I understand, and I do wish that there was a way to disable those things. Hopefully, there will be in the future...
    10-21-2016 09:53 AM
    At this stage those features are new and awesome. After a while people will use it less and less.

I know I did stop sending them.
    10-21-2016 11:43 AM
    I find them quite annoying! If you turn On the reduce motion option in accessibility, it will turn off the animations.
    How Do I Turn Off Messages Effects On My iPhone, iPad, or iPod?

Open Settings.
    Tap on General.
    Tap on Accessibility.
    Tap on Reduce Motion.
    Tap the switch on the right side of Reduce Motion to turn it on and disable iMessage effects in the Messages app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

Update: with newest version of 10, you can turn off just the imessage effect- there is a new option- Step #5. Finally, turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”
    Turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”
    Last edited by khkeet; 10-30-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    10-30-2016 06:14 PM
    I find them quite annoying! If you turn On the reduce motion option in accessibility, it will turn off the animations.
    How Do I Turn Off Messages Effects On My iPhone, iPad, or iPod?

Open Settings.
    Tap on General.
    Tap on Accessibility.
    Tap on Reduce Motion.
    Tap the switch on the right side of Reduce Motion to turn it on and disable iMessage effects in the Messages app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
    I prefer my phone with motion on. I really don't want to turn everything else off just to avoid junk in iMessage.

I suppose I can live without animations, but I'd prefer instead a toggle to have plain messages instead.

Update: with newest version of 10, you can turn off just the imessage effect- there is a new option- Step #5. Finally, turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”
    Turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”
    That setting disappears until you turn "Reduce motion" on. It's actually meant to *allow* message effects for the people who want reduce motion on for other reasons, not to turn off message effects.
    10-30-2016 07:30 PM
    I prefer my phone with motion on. I really don't want to turn everything else off just to avoid junk in iMessage.

I suppose I can live without animations, but I'd prefer instead a toggle to have plain messages instead.
    I have been using iOS 10 since the first beta back in June and I have to say the amount of messages with effect are not more than 3 per week.

That is with me being on 6 groups with more than 5 people each, colleagues, family, friends and such. Even then the amount of messages with effects is negligible.

Don't understand me wrong, I get your point but it's not something to loose sleep over.
    10-31-2016 07:30 AM
28 12