iMessage feature

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll never use them (with the exception of the times I send "Happy birthday" and iMessage automatically adds the balloon effects, but I can't remember if that actually shows up on my phone or not). I can't control what people *send to me*, however. I want to turn off effects for messages that people try to send me, specifically. I just don't care or want to see them.

Believe me, I understand, and I do wish that there was a way to disable those things. Hopefully, there will be in the future...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
At this stage those features are new and awesome. After a while people will use it less and less.

I know I did stop sending them.

khkeet

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I'll never use them (with the exception of the times I send "Happy birthday" and iMessage automatically adds the balloon effects, but I can't remember if that actually shows up on my phone or not). I can't control what people *send to me*, however. I want to turn off effects for messages that people try to send me, specifically. I just don't care or want to see them.

I find them quite annoying! If you turn On the reduce motion option in accessibility, it will turn off the animations.
How Do I Turn Off Messages Effects On My iPhone, iPad, or iPod?

Open Settings.
Tap on General.
Tap on Accessibility.
Tap on Reduce Motion.
Tap the switch on the right side of Reduce Motion to turn it on and disable iMessage effects in the Messages app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

Update: with newest version of 10, you can turn off just the imessage effect- there is a new option- Step #5. Finally, turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”
Turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I find them quite annoying! If you turn On the reduce motion option in accessibility, it will turn off the animations.
How Do I Turn Off Messages Effects On My iPhone, iPad, or iPod?

Open Settings.
Tap on General.
Tap on Accessibility.
Tap on Reduce Motion.
Tap the switch on the right side of Reduce Motion to turn it on and disable iMessage effects in the Messages app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

I prefer my phone with motion on. I really don't want to turn everything else off just to avoid junk in iMessage.

I suppose I can live without animations, but I'd prefer instead a toggle to have plain messages instead.

Update: with newest version of 10, you can turn off just the imessage effect- there is a new option- Step #5. Finally, turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”
Turn off the switch next to “Auto-Play Message Effects.”

That setting disappears until you turn "Reduce motion" on. It's actually meant to *allow* message effects for the people who want reduce motion on for other reasons, not to turn off message effects.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I prefer my phone with motion on. I really don't want to turn everything else off just to avoid junk in iMessage.

I suppose I can live without animations, but I'd prefer instead a toggle to have plain messages instead.

I have been using iOS 10 since the first beta back in June and I have to say the amount of messages with effect are not more than 3 per week.

That is with me being on 6 groups with more than 5 people each, colleagues, family, friends and such. Even then the amount of messages with effects is negligible.

Don't understand me wrong, I get your point but it's not something to loose sleep over.

khkeet

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Believe me, I understand, and I do wish that there was a way to disable those things. Hopefully, there will be in the future...

There is now in version 10.1, even with Reduce Motion on-
Open Settings.
Tap on General.
Tap on Accessibility.
Tap on Reduce Motion to turn it on (green)
There will be a new option called “Auto-Play Message Effects.”Tap to turn “Auto-Play Message Effects.” off (not green)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
There is now in version 10.1, even with Reduce Motion on-
Open Settings.
Tap on General.
Tap on Accessibility.
Tap on Reduce Motion to turn it on (green)
There will be a new option called “Auto-Play Message Effects.”Tap to turn “Auto-Play Message Effects.” off (not green)

See http://forums.imore.com/ios-10/376195-imessage-feature.html#post2842674

What I am looking for is a way to turn off message effects with reduced motion turned off. That "Auto-play Message Effects" is off by default when you turn of reduce motion, and disappears when you turn reduce motion off. So, again - what I am looking for is a way to turn message effects OFF with reduce motion turned OFF (which it is by default.) So far, there is no such thing (I tend to doubt there will ever be such an option, either.)

khkeet

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
See http://forums.imore.com/ios-10/376195-imessage-feature.html#post2842674

What I am looking for is a way to turn off message effects with reduced motion turned off. That "Auto-play Message Effects" is off by default when you turn of reduce motion, and disappears when you turn reduce motion off. So, again - what I am looking for is a way to turn message effects OFF with reduce motion turned OFF (which it is by default.) So far, there is no such thing (I tend to doubt there will ever be such an option, either.)

Ah. sorry, yeah, that combination is not available (yet!). I keep reduced motion ON for battery and other general reasons, so the fix in 10.1 addresses my issue!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice