Solution to non-grey wallpapers

torini

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I think I have found a solution to stop iOS 10 making wallpapers grey.

If you zoom in on your wallpaper when setting it, this appears to keep your background bright and not apply that grey look.

If you make it original size i.e. Not zoomed in to make it bigger then that is when it seems to be grey and not the original colour.

Hope it works for you as that appears to be working with me.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

If you zoom in on your wallpaper when setting it, this appears to keep your background bright and not apply that grey look.

If you make it original size i.e. Not zoomed in to make it bigger then that is when it seems to be grey and not the original colour.

Confused.. are people having their wallpaper turn grey for no reason. I don't recall this being an issue. I think you're saying the "light colors" are coming up darker?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Confused.. are people having their wallpaper turn grey for no reason. I don't recall this being an issue. I think you're saying the "light colors" are coming up darker?

Apple darkens the lock and home screen on some colors and shades. It's been going on a long time. It got worse in iOS 10. I fixed mine with Reset All Settings.
This is normal darkening.
97f7303c2c8cb18071b036284aea6b6b.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Someone told me that once. I tried it, but it didn't work. The color and shade of color makes a difference.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Same here. This is news to me. I'm currently using a black wallpaper and it looks "black"!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Same here. This is news to me. I'm currently using a black wallpaper and it looks "black"!

Yeah, it's only visible with white wallpapers.

Like this. Hate this:
20160929_071945000_iOS.png

The background would still be bright with iOS 9, but I don't have a comparison picture to show this properly though.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I just tested with white wallpapers I made.. no problem here. I have a couple hundred white wallpapers I made in Photoshop. Never seen this.. and first hearing about it. Odd issue, but I hope you have a fix.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ate you saying this is the cause or what it looks like? Because the auto brightness wouldn't affect a screen shot.

Auto brightness has nothing to do with the screen darkening. Apple has been doing it for years. It's to make the app icons pop on the home screen and the date/time to stand out on the lock screen.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Auto brightness has nothing to do with the screen darkening. Apple has been doing it for years. It's to make the app icons pop on the home screen and the date/time to stand out on the lock screen.

I'm aware, lol. I don't like the latest iteration of it. Whenever a JB comes along I'll be able to get rid of it anyway.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes that it gets a little darker. I used to manually darken some of my wallpapers so I could more easily see icons.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I get why Apple does it. It really does give the impression of depth. That the icons are closer than the wallpaper to the glass, but I don't really care for it. I took an Android detour after selling my 6s Plus and before getting my 7 Plus. I'd forgotten about it. At first it seemed that my Android phones were brighter until I remembered about it.