Speed test app

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't normally use that speed test app very much but I have noticed my home Wi-Fi getting a little bit slower. The higher the numbers on download & upload better than smaller or other way around. Is it pretty accurate?

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So this one works better than speed test?

I like FAST. In fact, I use www.fast.com (the web app version of the App that @Craig recommended) if I'm looking for a really quick read on my download speed. Do I think that it's more accurate than Speedtest.net? In my experience I've gotten similar results on both. I like that Speedtest.net also gives a read on ping time (the time it takes to bounce a request to a remote server and get a response) and upload speed. Those can be just as important as download speed and FAST doesn't give the user a read on it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't normally use that speed test app very much but I have noticed my home Wi-Fi getting a little bit slower. The higher the numbers on download & upload better than smaller or other way around. Is it pretty accurate?

How old is your modem and router? If they're more than a few years old it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them. Transferring data all of the time is actually quite taxing and both modems and routers are known to eventually break down. Of course, there are many reasons why you could be getting inconsistent speeds but I would never rule out the possibility of it being hardware related.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Is this good

26202aa72a49b3b810e1a0c704649a78.jpg

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If that's your download speed, the answer is NO that's not good. Granted it's 4G not LTE or Wifi but I would expect it to be higher.

Mine

fast1.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Not good. How far away from your modem/router are you? Try moving closer. Is there a lot of metal in your house between you and your modem? Who's your wifi provider?
Oh, wait. You're on 4G. Your signal seems strong enough. I would check with your wifi provider. Are you in a metro area?

Cox communications is my Internet provider. I have a net gear router though. I live in Oklahoma City

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Cox communications is my Internet provider. I have a net gear router though. I live in Oklahoma City

One thing you can check with your Netgear router software is congestion and interference of Wi-Fi around you. If there are a lot of Wi-Fi Routers in your area, it may be that you need to find a channel that is unoccupied or has less interference from other routers. Having a good strong signal with very little interference helps with speed also.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So you know, while the high numbers are best for "download" and "upload", a low "ping" number is best. That's your overall Internet speed.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Keep in mind that the speed tests are between you and the test server. The results are not indicative of real world use (ie; between you and a real web site).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro