iOS 10 notification sounds messed up

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone noticed for apps like Whatsapp and FB Messenger, the messages and call notifications sounds are the same tri-tone messaging sounds from the built in iMessages app? This is very annoying.

Actually, it's a coincidence. "Tri-tone" is not the default alert tone for built in Messaging App. The default for built in Messaging is "Note". In the phone it's referred to as Text Message.

Issue: "Tri-tone" was the default alert prior to iMessage. Many people restore their new phones from backups and for that reason "Tri-tone" has remained the Message/Text alert.

Facebook and other apps did receive "Tri-tone" as their default after iMessage came around and the default was switched to "Note".

If you go Sounds, Text Tone, you will see Note (Default) and to find Tri-tone you have to scroll down and click on Classic to get the "older" tones.

So technically it's the other way around. You are choosing to use the the tone Apple has designated for FB and other apps for your Messaging App.

Lastly, "Tri-tone" is also now the Default for New Voicemail

Last edited:

hedonistimus

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem with Viber, which adopt system sounds for notification. After update of Viber app option for setting of system tones for notification was gone. On my iPhone (with iOS 10) Viber app (version 6.3.1.) makes a lot of problems. I reboot my iPhone and notification sound for Viber comes back, but during typing of Viber massage my keyboard losing sound, I have not sound for massage gone, lock button have no sound.... This Viber update is disaster! I hope they will issue new update ASAP!

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
As I mentioned in a prior post, try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app with the wrongs sounds. It a PITA but it seems to always work for me.

The issue is, when the app is updated, the sound reverts back to being wrong, thus requiring the same uninstall/reinstall yet again.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Actually, it's a coincidence. "Tri-tone" is not the default alert tone for built in Messaging App. The default for built in Messaging is "Note". In the phone it's referred to as Text Message.

Issue: "Tri-tone" was the default alert prior to iMessage. Many people restore their new phones from backups and for that reason "Tri-tone" has remained the Message/Text alert.

Facebook and other apps did receive "Tri-tone" as their default after iMessage came around and the default was switched to "Note".

If you go Sounds, Text Tone, you will see Note (Default) and to find Tri-tone you have to scroll down and click on Classic to get the "older" tones.

So technically it's the other way around. You are choosing to use the the tone Apple has designated for FB and other apps for your Messaging App.

Lastly, "Tri-tone" is also now the Default for New Voicemail

Regardless of what tone was saved in a previous backup, no matter what you change any apps notification sound to, does not save the tone. It will always play tri-tone. The only way to change the sound is to select the new tone, and then reboot the device. Problem is, once the app is updated, the sound notification reverts to Tri-Tone. This is happening with all my email apps, FB, imessage and is happening on my iPad Pro as well. So this is an iOS10 bug, and has nothing to do with a backup.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday all of my third party app notification sounds reverted to the stock tri-tone sound out of no where. Rebooted my phone and they went back to normal. No idea what happened.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Ok so this morning I downloaded updates for FB messenger and Snapchat and immediately both of those notification sounds reverted to the tri-tone sound.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok so this morning I downloaded updates for FB messenger and Snapchat and immediately both of those notification sounds reverted to the tri-tone sound.

I bet they stay that way until you completely uninstall/reinstall the app. Rebooting never worked for me. At this point when I see an update for an app that uses notification sounds, I don't even bother updating it. I completely uninstall/reinstall it so my sounds continue to work.

I'm hoping 10.1, that is in beta now, addresses the issue.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes! My Facebook Messenger notification changed to Tri-tone. I liked the old notification. I did a reboot and it fixed it for a while than reverted back.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned in a prior post, try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app with the wrongs sounds. It a PITA but it seems to always work for me.

The issue is, when the app is updated, the sound reverts back to being wrong, thus requiring the same uninstall/reinstall yet again.

Deleting and reinstalling worked for me. Thanks! For the record, I updated OTA.

Vader3827

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I got the same thing instantly. Seems all app notification tones are the same now. I do not see anywhere the specific tone for specific apps can even be changed. This does NOT work for me as I rely on that specific tone for a specific app so if I hear it all the time, it screws my program. So I have to turn everything off but the one I want it on. Bloody annoying indeed.

Vader3827

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
As a follow up. I saw on an apple forum someone responded with a suggestion to do a hard restart (Home and Power button at the same time till the apple symbol appears). I did it and it worked!! Wanted to share.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Same issues here, deleted and reinstalled apps that had different motivation sounds and same result as before, they all have the Tritons sound. Also did a hard restart and that also didn't help.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Deleting and reinstalling the app like doing a hard reset, only works until there is an update to the APP. Once the app is updated, the default tone reverts back to Tri-Tone. Again, this is an iOS10 bug which was not fixed in 10.0.2.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I am experiencing this issue on my iPhone 5, 6, and 7. It's a bug with iOS 10. Every time I get an app update the notification sound reverts to the Tri-tone. Very annoying. Deleting the app completely and downloading again does not fix it either.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I bet they stay that way until you completely uninstall/reinstall the app. Rebooting never worked for me. At this point when I see an update for an app that uses notification sounds, I don't even bother updating it. I completely uninstall/reinstall it so my sounds continue to work.

I'm hoping 10.1, that is in beta now, addresses the issue.

Rebooting the phone fixes it. Until there is another update. Then it's back to the tri-tone sound and I have to reboot again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox