Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh. That's a good idea. Maybe I can get those to go back into iCloud that way.

Exactly my though. It's happened in several releases. I had to do a clean install too. Other iCloud devices have been wonky after update to iOS 10. A server issue from apple perhaps.

I have all sorts of shortcuts I use for phrases that I uses often.

I've tried all of that either. Argh. So frustrating.

You really need to use the quote feature so we know what you're referring to :)

Matthew110607

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
This issue is being reported at the apple communities as well, no working solution. I spent over an hour on the phone with level2 tech that swore he knew how to fix it (restoring the phone from a backup) but I told him that wasn't going to work. He told me to give him credit. I told him sure. I knew it wouldn't work, and it didn't.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This issue is being reported at the apple communities as well, no working solution. I spent over an hour on the phone with level2 tech that swore he knew how to fix it (restoring the phone from a backup) but I told him that wasn't going to work. He told me to give him credit. I told him sure. I knew it wouldn't work, and it didn't.

Good to know -- hope you get them back soon.

RMSko

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
There is definitely an issue with iOS 10. I just got a new iPhone 7 Plus and with that all my text replacement shortcuts suddenly appeared, however, they were lost on my three other iOS devices after upgrading. So, they are clearly still in the cloud, but just not syncing to the devices. And what's even stranger is that when I add new shortcuts to my iPad Pro, those DO sync to my iPad Air, but do NOT sync to my iPhone 6 Plus. And when I add a new shortcut to my iPhone 6 Plus, those DON'T sync to any other device.

UPDATE:

I also wasn't getting the shortcuts on my Mac, but turning iCloud drive off/on fixed that. Also, I suddenly have al the shortcuts on my iPad Air, but not my iPad Pro

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

shaynecole

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
What almost always works for me:

In macOS
1. Highlight all text substitutions in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text
2. Drag them to the desktop, resulting in the creation of a file called Text Substitutions.plist
3. Make sure they're all still highlighted in the window and delete them
4. Wait 30 seconds or so
5. Drag the Text Substitutions.plist file into the window, adding them all

On your iOS device:
Hold down both Home and Power buttons until the phone starts reboot with the Apple symbol appearing

As always, YMMV and I'm not responsible for any of your results, good or bad.

Matthew110607

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
What almost always works for me:

In macOS
1. Highlight all text substitutions in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text
2. Drag them to the desktop, resulting in the creation of a file called Text Substitutions.plist
3. Make sure they're all still highlighted in the window and delete them
4. Wait 30 seconds or so
5. Drag the Text Substitutions.plist file into the window, adding them all

On your iOS device:
Hold down both Home and Power buttons until the phone starts reboot with the Apple symbol appearing

As always, YMMV and I'm not responsible for any of your results, good or bad.
Hard reboot doesn't work for me. The level two tech told me he had forwarded the request to engineers but I'm not confident this will happen. How is something like this not identified long before public release? VERY disappointing in apple

Ago5tino

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello all. I updated to iOS 10 via iTunes, as I downgraded from the beta, and now all of my text replacements are missing. I tried signing out and back in of iCloud. Rebooting the phone. Nada. I feel like this has happened before. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use this feature all of the time.

Thanks in advance

I've had this very problem. I don't know what happened, I lost all my shortcuts I had set, but then without anything done by me, I noticed yesterday they were all back, ready for use.

I've also had SMS go missing. I get my work rota by text, and on a Friday the texts for next week and week after had gone, but the last one received, for the third week, still showed. Then yesterday they were all back in place.

limesh

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Has this worked for anybody?
I am not able to sync my text replacements from my Macbook Pro to my iPhone or iPad.

the setup is like this:
- 15" Inch macbook pro running OS 10.12.1
- iPad pro running 10.1.1
- iPhone 6S running 10.1.1

Text replacements created over OSX not syncing to iphone or iPad.
However if I create text replacement in iPad, it gets synced to iPhone - but not to Macbook Pro.

Can anybody help with a concrete and final solution. I have wasted more than 4 days on this, feels very frustrated.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Has this worked for anybody?
I am not able to sync my text replacements from my Macbook Pro to my iPhone or iPad.

the setup is like this:
- 15" Inch macbook pro running OS 10.12.1
- iPad pro running 10.1.1
- iPhone 6S running 10.1.1

Text replacements created over OSX not syncing to iphone or iPad.
However if I create text replacement in iPad, it gets synced to iPhone - but not to Macbook Pro.

Can anybody help with a concrete and final solution. I have wasted more than 4 days on this, feels very frustrated.

Are you sure you're signed into the same iCloud account on your Macbook Pro? If you think you are, try signing out and then signing back in to jump-start a sync.

DWaldmann

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Seriously? Anything you want.

From a simple
ilu --> I Love You!!!

to basic
wdo --> Warehouse door is open

to more complex
AR1 --> Thank you for your inquiry. Someone will respond by phone within 4 business hours.

The only limit is your imagination. Or iOS...

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem every single time I do an OS upgrade or restore my Mac or iPhone. I have been experiencing this exact issue on the last few revisions of Mac OS and iOS. For whatever reason, text replacements syncing is EXTREMELY FINICKY and super frustrating to deal with. These are the steps that have worked for me, but ymmv.

These are the steps I take when I notice they stop syncing - you WILL lose any current text replacements so write them down or save them to a text file or screenshot or whatever.

Also, before you start you should copy the contents of your iCloud Drive to a flash drive or external hard drive, just in case. I don't have a lot of files stored in my iCloud Drive so it's not a big deal for me to pull them down again.

When I perform these steps I like to plug my MacBook into my router with an Ethernet cable to ensure there are no connectivity issues.

1) On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Uncheck iCloud Drive. Select Remove From Mac and WAIT for it to finish syncing / updating.

2) WAIT a few minutes. Seriously, just let the computer sit there.

3) Close all open windows and RESTART (Don't shut down, restart. There's a difference) the Mac.

4) Log on and WAIT for a few more minutes, just for good measure.

5) While waiting, turn off iCloud Drive on your iOS devices in Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive. Wait for it to finish syncing / updating.

6) Turn off your iOS devices and WAIT for a few minutes before rebooting.

7) On your Mac, when you go to the text replacements in the keyboard preferences there should only be one, the default one that says "On my way!"

8) Power on your iOS devices and in the text replacements there should only be one, the default one that says "On my way!"

9) Turn iCloud Drive back on, starting with the Mac. WAIT a few minutes and then REBOOT again.

10) Do step 9 on the rest of your iOS devices. Be sure to WAIT then REBOOT.

Once all is said and done, your text replacements should now sync between all your devices.

Signing out then signing back into iCloud altogether with 2FA is a major pain in the *** (more than performing the steps above) and doesn't always resolve the text replacements syncing issue for me.

Last edited:

jmooresh

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
How to Save your Keyboard Text

Until this issue is resolved, there is an easy way to Save & Restore your Keyboard Text entries.

1. In the Keyboard Text area, click on one shortcut, then Select All.
2. Drag them to the desktop.
3. It creates a file called 'Text Substitutions.plist'

If you are missing your entries, drag this file back!
All your entries will be re-entered.

As I make changes, I save a new version. It will rename any subsequent versions.

Note:
Sometimes on re-populating the entries, it will double enter items. If that happens, Select All and delete. Then drag in your latest plist file to repopulate.

Attachments

• Text Substitutions.jpg
    Text Substitutions.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 25

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When iOS 10.3 beta 1 was released, I put my iPhone 7 Plus in DFU mode and then restored it via iTunes on my old MacBook. Afterwards, I set it up as a new device. Heck, I didn't even create a backup beforehand. Anyway, after signing in to iCloud, I noticed that the majority of the text replacement items I had previously were visible in the keyboard settings. I took that as a great indication of Apple syncing that information to iCloud and vice versa.

janimack7

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
My new iPhone 7plus refused to synchronize my text replacements for a week. I tried everything I gleaned from the internet without luck. This morning, tried one more time and it worked! Here is written did:
SETTINGS ➡️ GENERAL ➡️ KEYBOARD ➡️ TURN EVERYTHING OFF ➡️ SHUT DOWN PHONE ➡️ AFTER A MINUTE OR TWO, TURN PHONE BACK ON ➡️ VOILA! My shortcuts returned! Don't forget to turn everything under KEYBOARD back on.

Last edited:

cheap12345678

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I had that same issue too a while ago.
There is no getting them back. You'll have to add them back manually.
Which reminds me, I just took screenshots of all my text replacements, just to be sure I will be able to add them all back if god forbid the same happened to me again.

Not trying to be mean but I wish people would stop giving incorrect advice. Just because you couldn't figure out a way to do it doesn't mean there is not a way to do it. Toggling the iCloud Drive on and off definitely solved this problem!

So before you tell someone to waste an hour of their time putting in all of that new information perhaps you should be a little patient in waiting to see what others solutions are and wait to see whether or not others could possibly be more solution oriented than you were!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2