1 Day to go for iOS 10. How many of you would immediately

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I think you're missing the point.

It's not about what I use. It's about what I'm subjected to, and have no control over.

It's about what other people use when they send messages to you. There is no way to stop their full screen effects, "bam," "wow," "kaplow," etc. from triggering on your device - period. There is no toggle.

Reminds me of the old Batman Series that used to play on television. UGH!

The only way to avoid it, is to not upgrade, since this updated messages app comes with the full FW update. Therefore, I will be staying on iOS 9. I don't consider 10 usable until they provide an option to block the effects and other junk they pushed into the Messages app on my end.

Too bad, there are some really great features in iOS 10 that I love. I won't be using the POW / BLAM like batman either, but the minor 1-2 times someone may use it to send me something is not enough (for me) to lose out on the great stuff in iOS 10. Plus I will be stuck, since I can't take the iPhone 7 coming in Friday and go backwards anyway. But if you're waiting for Apple to give you an on/off switch.. I personally think you'll be on an old iOS until the phone dies.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have tried every iOS 10 beta since their release but always downgraded to iOS 9. I love iOS 10 (apart from messages), but keep getting quicker battery drain when my 6 is in use. Standby time is fine. I gave it a week, tweaked location settings but the drain was noticeable. Back on iOS 9, no problems. Probably will hold off until 10.1 (if I can wait that long!). ��

Sorry to hear that, I have been doing the beta on my iPhone 6. One Beta made my phone run hot.. next one it was gone. But my battery is great. Most days at bedtime I am still over 90%. Sorry to hear your results are different.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Too bad, there are some really great features in iOS 10 that I love. I won't be using the POW / BLAM like batman either, but the minor 1-2 times someone may use it to send me something is not enough (for me) to lose out on the great stuff in iOS 10. Plus I will be stuck, since I can't take the iPhone 7 coming in Friday and go backwards anyway. But if you're waiting for Apple to give you an on/off switch.. I personally think you'll be on an old iOS until the phone dies.

No it just means other options are on the table when I upgrade devices. Like I may get an Android Phone and replace my Windows Notebook with a Chromebook and my iMac with a Windows PC for gaming. Etc.

I would just change my device composition and move on, just as I did when I got an iPhone. My iMac and other Apple device purchases were spurred by me moving to the iPhone. The same thing would happen, quite quickly, if I were to move away form it. I would just reverse it. The money I'd save getting a ChromeBook over the MacBook I was planning to get would virtually fund the rest of the move, so I'd probably do all of this in an afternoon (one shopping trip once I changed phones).

For the moment, I don't see a point in upgrading devices or FW on my current device, and since the old version isn't that old I will have a year or so to plan out a migration if I want to be lazy about it.

Also: How much this will bother you depends on your social circle. I don't think it's sexist to imply that women are more prone to overusing these things than men are, because my anecdotal experience, this has been the case. If you communicate with women a lot, they tend to use things like stickers, emoticons, etc. a lot more than men are. So, your experiences can change depending on the age groups, genders, and settings in which you communicate with other people.

Not saying this will be the same for other people. I just know what I'll be "walking into" if I install this on my phone.

It's something I'm wholly uninterested in putting up with. I am not in the business of dictating, to people, how they should use their devices when communicating with me. I rather isolate myself form it in other ways (Deleting Facebook Account, not installing the FW update with the offending features when I cannot turn them off on my end, etc.).

When Facebook added stickers, it completely ruined their messenger service for me because people stopped using words to communicate in many places, and you simply had no idea what the stickers "actually meant" when they posted them. The stickers also take up as much vertical space as some small paragraphs of text.

I don't want my phone making noises or doing gamey effects simple because I opened a thread, and I don't think having to 3D touch and pan over an image to see it is a feature I find... useful.

Last edited:

Prakhar Mohan1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I have been doing the beta on my iPhone 6. One Beta made my phone run hot.. next one it was gone. But my battery is great. Most days at bedtime I am still over 90%. Sorry to hear your results are different.

yes mate i don`t know how people complain about this battery issue. I have been using this beta for a long time and never faced this issue. Is there any specific app or bug that is bothering so many people

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Most days at bedtime I am still over 90%.
That would make one wonder if the phone is even being used. It is possible for a phone to be over 90% at bedtime, if it's actually being used throughout the day. I can see this happening if it simply sat on a table in standby mode, though. In fact, in that situation I would expect it to be at that level.

A phone being used should not be 90%+ at bedtime. Unless it's being run off of a huge battery case, or something.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No it just means other options are on the table when I upgrade devices. Like I may get an Android Phone and replace my Windows Notebook with a Chromebook and my iMac with a Windows PC for gaming. Etc.

I would just change my device composition and move on, just as I did when I got an iPhone. My iMac and other Apple device purchases were spurred by me moving to the iPhone. The same thing would happen, quite quickly, if I were to move away form it. I would just reverse it. The money I'd save getting a ChromeBook over the MacBook I was planning to get would virtually fund the rest of the move, so I'd probably do all of this in an afternoon (one shopping trip once I changed phones).

For the moment, I don't see a point in upgrading devices or FW on my current device, and since the old version isn't that old I will have a year or so to plan out a migration if I want to be lazy about it.

Also: How much this will bother you depends on your social circle. I don't think it's sexist to imply that women are more prone to overusing these things than men are, because my anecdotal experience, this has been the case. If you communicate with women a lot, they tend to use things like stickers, emoticons, etc. a lot more than men are. So, your experiences can change depending on the age groups, genders, and settings in which you communicate with other people.

Not saying this will be the same for other people. I just know what I'll be "walking into" if I install this on my phone.

It's something I'm wholly uninterested in putting up with. I am not in the business of dictating, to people, how they should use their devices when communicating with me. I rather isolate myself form it in other ways (Deleting Facebook Account, not installing the FW update with the offending features when I cannot turn them off on my end, etc.).

When Facebook added stickers, it completely ruined their messenger service for me because people stopped using words to communicate in many places, and you simply had no idea what the stickers "actually meant" when they posted them. The stickers also take up as much vertical space as some small paragraphs of text.

I don't want my phone making noises or doing gamey effects simple because I opened a thread, and I don't think having to 3D touch and pan over an image to see it is a feature I find... useful.

I guess I just don't let these little things bother me that much. I used Social Fixer when I was on FB to ignore this stuff (I am not on FB anymore) and honestly I use iMessage for basic communication. I am not a 100 text a day person. So for me, not a hassle. But I also learn to let things go and move onward. As long as you're good with your choice, who am I to argue. Hope you are happy staying on version 9. I think you will be there for a long while or until you switch to another OS. Good luck, have a wonderful day.

Prakhar Mohan1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
That would make one wonder if the phone is even being used. It is possible for a phone to be over 90% at bedtime, if it's actually being used throughout the day. I can see this happening if it simply sat on a table in standby mode, though. In fact, in that situation I would expect it to be at that level.

A phone being used should not be 90%+ at bedtime. Unless it's being run off of a huge battery case, or something.

I keep my phone on wifi and normally use only whatsapp and fb. but by the end of the day. it`s pretty much upto 85%

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I have an iPhone 6 and I am on iOS 10.0.1 and used my phone a lot today and I am 93% at 1:15. At night by bedtime I am usually between 80% and 95% depending on the day. This weekend I was on a lot of skype calls and a lot of texting, so at bed last night was around 73%. No daytime charging or battery case.

steve_w_7

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
I think you're missing the point.

It's not about what I use. It's about what I'm subjected to, and have no control over.

It's about what other people use when they send messages to you. There is no way to stop their full screen effects, "bam," "wow," "kaplow," etc. from triggering on your device - period. There is no toggle.

Reminds me of the old Batman Series that used to play on television. UGH!

I'm not sure I know anyone who would be interested in using those effects in a text message. It sounds like you need to get new friends.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 and I am on iOS 10.0.1 and used my phone a lot today and I am 93% at 1:15. At night by bedtime I am usually between 80% and 95% depending on the day. This weekend I was on a lot of skype calls and a lot of texting, so at bed last night was around 73%. No daytime charging or battery case.

Well I guess a "lot" has a very very broad spectrum for interpretation.

I have a 6S Plus and just one our riding in the car surfing the web over LTE will zap 15-20% of the battery, and no... my battery is just fine. The in use time of the phone is not that amazing. The only time you're going to get times like that is if it's barely used.

You can say that, but my experience from 5S to 6S says that unless you barely use the phone, those battery life times are impossible to achieve. If you're going to say you use it a "lot," then I'm simply not going to believe it. I'm not saying you're being dishonest, I just don't think your interpretation of "a lot" is close to what most people would consider "a lot" to be.

I use Skype heavily on my phone (Language Learning and Tutoring). Using that isn't going to help the situation, at all, either.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Saying iOS 10 will be jailbroken in a "week or two" is just a wild assumption.

And a huge one at that.

I need to charge mine before lunch. I stream music on mine all day at work. Must be nice.

Prakhar Mohan1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
the battery usage totally depends upon person to person and the usage of the phone but in all the ios 10 provides a decent backup as compared to ios 9

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
And a huge one at that.

I need to charge mine before lunch. I stream music on mine all day at work. Must be nice.

If I'm out and about actually using my iPhone 6S Plus, it will be dead before the evening gets here. The battery life, in use, is not all that impressive. The standby times, are. The OS is hugely efficient when the screen is off and the phone is sleeping. If you're listening to music stored on your device with the screen off, even over BT, the thing never drains. The minute you turn the screen on and start using actual apps, that do non-trivial things, browsing the web over LTE, etc. the battery life tanks pretty quickly.

I rode shotgun in the car for 1h yesterday, doing nothing but reading articles in the new app. The battery tanked almost 30% in that time. Reading news articles in Apple News isn't exactly "computationally intensive" stuff, to be frank. Signal was fine. This is how my 6 was, and how the 5S I had was, as well. It's always been this way.

So, I'm interested in what these people are doing to get such impossible endurance scenarios (apparently on an impossibly consistent basis) that many other people aren't doing. I want to know what The Secret™ is, because that would mean I could use my 6S+ a lot for 3-4 days between charges. Who wouldn't want that?!

Being at 80-90%+ at the end of the day means you could use an iPhone for almost a week between charges, and not stress about power. It's literally unheard of, but it's what people here routinely pop up and insinuate is the case - using terms like "a lot" to describe how they use their phone. I want to know what the secret is (truly).

Prakhar Mohan1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
If I'm out and about actually using my iPhone 6S Plus, it will be dead before the evening gets here. The battery life, in use, is not all that impressive. The standby times, are. The OS is hugely efficient when the screen is off and the phone is sleeping. If you're listening to music stored on your device with the screen off, even over BT, the thing never drains. The minute you turn the screen on and start using actual apps, that do non-trivial things, browsing the web over LTE, etc. the battery life tanks pretty quickly.

I rode shotgun in the car for 1h yesterday, doing nothing but reading articles in the new app. The battery tanked almost 30% in that time. Reading news articles in Apple News isn't exactly "computationally intensive" stuff, to be frank. Signal was fine. This is how my 6 was, and how the 5S I had was, as well. It's always been this way.

So, I'm interested in what these people are doing to get such impossible endurance scenarios (apparently on an impossibly consistent basis) that many other people aren't doing. I want to know what The Secret™ is, because that would mean I could use my 6S+ a lot for 3-4 days between charges. Who wouldn't want that?!

the battery life while using LTE sucks . I agree with you. It drains like a water down the lane. :rotfl:

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I will probably wait until tomorrow evening. I prefer downloading over wifi and wifi here at work is pathetically slow. It's much faster at home, and waiting that long should be after the initial rush. Of course, while that's the plan, I may get impatient and try to update earlier.

This is my plan as well. Our wifi at work is ridiculously slow, plus waiting a few hours may get me past that initial rush.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR