Home App Automation With August Lock In ios10

Andrew Wilkins

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an august lock. i do love it as it does what i wanted, it senses when im walking up to it and unlocks. My issue is when using the automation feature within the new home app in ios 10.
I have created an automation sequence to lock my august lock based on my location. when i have departed the geofence area set my door doesn't lock, instead i get a notification asking if i want to run this automation.
Is there a way to make this automation run without requiring a confirmation from me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible, but I'm unaware of how to do it. Hopefully, a member who does will reply with the directions soon.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried this with an app other than Apple's Home app? Depending on the access Apple allows a developer to have, it might not be possible with the Home app.

Jeffrey Stevison

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have an august lock. i do love it as it does what i wanted, it senses when im walking up to it and unlocks. My issue is when using the automation feature within the new home app in ios 10.
I have created an automation sequence to lock my august lock based on my location. when i have departed the geofence area set my door doesn't lock, instead i get a notification asking if i want to run this automation.
Is there a way to make this automation run without requiring a confirmation from me.

I'm having the same issue. Just upgraded to the GM version of iOS 10. This was not the behavior in iOS 9.

gtrogue

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. It is obvious that everyone working at Apple doesn't know what "automation" means. Having to pull my phone out and confirm that I want an "automation" to run isn't automation.

gtrogue

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I did some experimentation and it looks like this non-automated automation in regards to locks is purposeful by Apple. If I setup a geofence automation to turn on one of my Hue lights when I arrive home it works automatically without any prompting. If I do it with the lock it asks me if I want to run the automation before it runs. I have heard that people with the Schlage HomeKit smart lock have the same problem.

If I setup a geofence automation that turns on one of my Hue lights and then setup another automation that unlocks the door when that light turns on the door will unlock correctly after the first automation runs and it happens all automatically without any intervention from me.

The acknowledgement to run a geofence automation as it relates to locks appears to be an added layer of security that Apple added. However it is easy to work around and very annoying.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you like the august lock? Been looking for a new one. I currently use an old Schlage lock with a 4 digit code. I want one that has both. One that opens when I come home but want a code to give people. Not into the virtual key option

Mikah Sargent

Senior Editor, iMore
Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Andrew!

August and Apple have been working toward full compatibility with iOS 10's Home app for some time. The company is still in the process of getting approvals for updated firmware and software that properly connects with Apple's new home automation features.

That said, it's unclear — even after the firware updates — if Apple will allow that sort of automation within the Home app. Your best bet is to continue using August's own app to do the geo-location locking and unlocking. It does stink to have to use multiple apps to manage your home automation accessories, but this may be a case where Apple doesn't want to be responsible for access to your home — be that locking or unlocking.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
However it is easy to work around and very annoying.

And doing so puts the onus on the owner. Convenience is the first victim of security. It's obvious that everyone working at Apple knows can cares more about security than the end user. They also know that some users will willingly sacrifice security for convenience. This is evident in OS X and macOS where they sandbox apps and don't let you download apps not from the App Store or unknown developers. But because they know people, they give an easy workaround, because some people don't care as much about security as they do convenience.

"Are you sure you want to do this? Are you sure? Well, ok, if that's what you want..."

So Apple and August are working on together. Maybe Apple isn't as dumb as we thought. I've been wanting a smartlock and for a few reasons August is the only one I've considered so far.

I've been reading that two home automation platforms, ZWave and one other, have weak security. That doesn't bother me as far as lights or some similar automation is concerned. But I want door locks and any other life support (LOL) device to be as secure as possible from a hacker. It's bad enough the mechanical side of door locks can be easily 'hacked'. I don't want to add an additional point of failure.

gtrogue

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I like the August lock but the auto unlock feature built into the August app isn't reliable for me. I find that the geo-location part never works to auto unlock my door if I have my phone connected to my car using CarPlay when I arrive home. It is better if I am returning from a walk but even then it isn't 100%. Often it requires me to "wake up" my phone as I'm walking to the door to get the lock to respond.

On the flip side, the HomeKit automation has always worked (outside of the not actually being automated part). As I mentioned before, my workaround is to set the geofence automation to turn on one of my Hue bulbs and then to have another that unlocks the door when that bulb comes on. That particular automation has never failed to unlock my door and it runs automatically.

For me I would much rather Apple send me a confirmation after the door automatically unlocks. If it was inadvertent, I would then know it was unlocked and could go into the Home app and re-lock the door.

On that note, why isn't there a "send push notification" option after an action occurs in an automation?

I'd like to know "Authorized user such-and-such just set your thermostat to ___." Or "So and so just unlocked Front Door."

As for making the lock less secure by running automatically my response is, nobody is going to hack my iCloud account with 2FA so they can open my lock when kicking in the door or smashing a window is much easier and faster.

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Locks and garage door opener is currently require authentication in order to be controlled through HomeKit. That's an intentional security measure. It's also why they don't work with HomeKit on Apple TV, for example, because it's in capable of authentication.

The theory being, if an on authorized person get control of your lights, it's annoying. If they can open your doors and allow in intruders, it's potentially life-threatening.

So, any automation that includes door locks or garage door opener's will also require authentication for now.

This time, in the battle between convenience and security, security wins.

gtrogue

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Rene, why does my Hue light -> August unlock automation workaround work? Is it only the geofence automation that requires the additional layer of security?

Secondarily, if an unauthorized user has gained access to my HomeKit devices wouldn't they also simply be able to respond to the HomeKit confirmation?

It seems that the confirmation would only stop unintended unlocking, like you are doubling back by your house and aren't really going home. It seems that a simple push notification saying your door just unlocked would solve the problem since you could just go in and re-lock the door after being made aware.

gtrogue

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I would be willing to bet that this "feature" was added because of an Apple lawyer and not an engineer. I can picture the scenario in my head where the engineer is explaining to the lawyer all the reasons why this extra layer of security is pointless for all the reasons I have already mentioned and lawyer's response was, "put it in because logic and rational thought have no place in the law and will not stop the class action lawsuit."

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So has anyone used a lock that automatically unlocks when you approach with Bluetooth and also has the keypad?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711