What can I do if can't restore from iTunes backup says incorrect password?

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so i tried the public beta of iOS 10 (cool features by the way) and now I am trying to restore from an archived backup of iOS 9 before I installed the beta. It says that the password is incorrect. It does not prompt me to enter a password though. I did some searching and found information on locating the backup file in Keychain access to access the password there, but I do not see the file there. Anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If no one here has a workable solution, I would contact Apple Support and see what they say. Did you forget your password? Or is it that there's no place to enter it? Not clear on that. If you don't remember the password, you will probably have to restore as new, without the back up. It doesn't appear Apple gives you a chance to reset the password on encryption back ups. I don't use encrypted archived back ups.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I encrypted the backup because I was following instructions from iMore lol. Also, there is no place to enter it.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Antron, I've done this myself. The only solution I could find was the brute force the password by using a third party tool.

Before you spend any money, for me I was able to use a trial version of a product that was limited to showing only the first two or three caracters of the recovered password. That was enough to job my memory and recall what password I had used.

I "think" the application I used was iSeePassword - iTunes Password Recovery. It's a windows only application that is very simple to use (you will have to copy any backup files over from your MAC).

Depending on the general complexity of your passwords, this may take a few hours to days to run.

Hope this helps and good luck to you! PM me if I can help further.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
It would be great if Apple changed the process for a restore and before erasing any iOS devices, it forced you to enter the password for the backup archive, that way you know you would be able to restore the device before the iOS device is erased, leaving you with an empty iPhone and in-accessable iTunes backup file.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Antron, I've done this myself. The only solution I could find was the brute force the password by using a third party tool.

Before you spend any money, for me I was able to use a trial version of a product that was limited to showing only the first two or three caracters of the recovered password. That was enough to job my memory and recall what password I had used.

I "think" the application I used was iSeePassword - iTunes Password Recovery. It's a windows only application that is very simple to use (you will have to copy any backup files over from your MAC).

Depending on the general complexity of your passwords, this may take a few hours to days to run.

Hope this helps and good luck to you! PM me if I can help further.

Thanks!

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I ended up doing a clean install. The good thing is most of the apps that I use sync with some cloud services so I didn't really "lose" any information. Just have to re arrange my screens which is time consuming but at least I still have my information.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
If no one here has a workable solution, I would contact Apple Support and see what they say. Did you forget your password? Or is it that there's no place to enter it? Not clear on that. If you don't remember the password, you will probably have to restore as new, without the back up. It doesn't appear Apple gives you a chance to reset the password on encryption back ups. I don't use encrypted archived back ups.

Thanks!

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so i tried the public beta of iOS 10 (cool features by the way) and now I am trying to restore from an archived backup of iOS 9 before I installed the beta. It says that the password is incorrect. It does not prompt me to enter a password though. I did some searching and found information on locating the backup file in Keychain access to access the password there, but I do not see the file there. Anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Hey Antron. Before you go seeking an unlocker try this:

1. Open Keychain Access, found in /Applications/Utilities/
  2. Use the Search box in the upper right corner and type "iphone backup"
  3. When you see that long number where it says "Account", make sure it matches your device by going under your connected device in iTunes, and clicking a few times where it says Serial Number (FYI this is your UDID number)
  4. Double click the result, assuming something is found in Keychain
  5. Check the box next to "Show password" and enter the Mac administrator password to find password for keychain file iTunes backup.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Antron. Before you go seeking an unlocker try this:

1. Open Keychain Access, found in /Applications/Utilities/
  2. Use the Search box in the upper right corner and type "iphone backup"
  3. When you see that long number where it says "Account", make sure it matches your device by going under your connected device in iTunes, and clicking a few times where it says Serial Number (FYI this is your UDID number)
  4. Double click the result, assuming something is found in Keychain
  5. Check the box next to "Show password" and enter the Mac administrator password to find password for keychain file iTunes backup.

Thanks Darla. Only problem is, when I try to search for the backup it doesn't show up. Though I did do a back up and in iTunes it shows the name of the backup I made but I cannot find it in Keychain Access

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Darla. Only problem is, when I try to search for the backup it doesn't show up. Though I did do a back up and in iTunes it shows the name of the backup I made but I cannot find it in Keychain Access

Well I see you successfully did a clean install, and everything is working good? Just a thought... did it ask you for the password and did you by any chance try the same password that you use for iTunes? Lol, this happened to me before a few years ago, and thats what I use so something like THIS won't happen. :D

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I see you successfully did a clean install, and everything is working good? Just a thought... did it ask you for the password and did you by any chance try the same password that you use for iTunes? Lol, this happened to me before a few years ago, and thats what I use so something like THIS won't happen. :D

I did do a clean install and all is well. Just had to take time to organize my screens

It didn't prompt me to enter a password in iTunes which was strange.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem. I typed every password that I knew from when I first started using passwords. Then one night I typed in the correct password. You might eventually guess the right password. You me about four days and nights to remember the correct one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox