I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

iCricket

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody else feel like; even though ios10 will be released on the iPhone 5s variants. That honestly we shouldn't go that high? I feel like 9.3.3 is the end of the road for the 5S. 10 is the beginning of the end for the 5S and below. It's just too much for the hardware in my opinion. Now some of you will gladly upgrade to 10, but if what they say is true. Apple may support older devices but with each update the device slows down a little more. 9.3.3 has pretty much everything a 5S user would want in my opinion.

Saying that. I went back to 9.3.3 from ios10. Don't get me wrong. Ios10 is a great concept but it's built with 3D Touch in mind and that leaves out a lot of devices from the past. It will probably be an amazing OS for the 6 and up. Especially the 6S and up with 3D Touch. What're your thoughts?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The OS updates don't slow down devices. Not purposely.
A clean/fresh install is always recommended after an new OS (especially if done OTA).

Honestly, a 5S can and will run iOS 10 decently. (4Ses run 9.3.2 flawlessly)
It's a nice OS nonetheless and 6 and above will support it longer.

ejraney

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My 5s has been running great on iOS 10. Sure I have a hiccup here and there, but this phone is my daily driver (only driver) and I have had no major issues.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I think I read some where that ios 10 was a lighter Os then ios 9. But sure, newer models will benefit more from ios 10 than the older models. But that's the way it is everywhere.

iCricket

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Making a decision like this based on performance of a beta is short sited IMHO.

I'm not making a decision solely based on a beta. I'm making my decision based on years of using smartphones in general both iOS and android. The higher up the released OS is. The slower it makes the older devices because there is more and more baked into each new update.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone 5S runs quite snappy and fast on iOS 10 beta. I am quite happy with iOS 10. Of course, iOS 10 is still in beta. There are going to be hiccups. Wait until the official release and do a clean install.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure if there r issues with 5s running 10 they will get ironed out either in beta, or with subsequent .x updates... I mean they just took 4s out of the update... They're gonna support the 5 and 5s for a while yet.. They're too many of them still out there to let them run poorly on a new OS..

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not making a decision solely based on a beta. I'm making my decision based on years of using smartphones in general both iOS and android. The higher up the released OS is. The slower it makes the older devices because there is more and more baked into each new update.

Making your decision based on years of using smartphones in general doesn't take in consideration that the A7 processor in the iPhone 5S was light years ahead of previous Apple processors and will most likely be supported longer than previous Apple processors. There isn't a huge amount of difference in speed between the A7 and A8 processors in my opinion.

iCricket

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Making your decision based on years of using smartphones in general doesn't take in consideration that the A7 processor in the iPhone 5S was light years ahead of previous Apple processors and will most likely be supported longer than previous Apple processors. There isn't a huge amount of difference in speed between the A7 and A8 processors in my opinion.

I'll def agree with you on that one. That's one thing that Apple is good at. Planning ahead. Like I said though this is my opinion. I don't want to take the risks of upgrading, 10 being a flop on the 5s and apple stop signing 9.3.3. And being stuck with a mediocre device because right now the 5s is far from that.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll def agree with you on that one. That's one thing that Apple is good at. Planning ahead. Like I said though this is my opinion. I don't want to take the risks of upgrading, 10 being a flop on the 5s and apple stop signing 9.3.3. And being stuck with a mediocre device because right now the 5s is far from that.

I don't think iOS 10 is a flop on the iPhone 5S. iOS 10 isn't even official released yet, and it runs great on my iPhone 5S and my iPad Mini 2. That being said, I won't be putting iOS 10 on my iPhone 6S until it is officially released, if that helps.

The iPhone 5S A7 processor speed is officially 1.3 GHz, though some benchmarks are reporting 1.4 GHz. The iPhone 6 A8 processor speed is officially 1.4 GHz, with not much difference in benchmarks.

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
iOS 10 b2 is working fine on my 5s. Beginning of the end? ROFL! Maybe with iOS 11 or 12. The speed is fine. UI quirks are a different story and largely subjective.

I noted elsewhere that what I don't like about 10 is the heavy font. It's a step, maybe two, back from the elegance of 9.3. I wish there were a switch in Settings that would get back the graceful look of Ultra Neue or whatever that was.

iOS 10 is needed for wOS 3 or I wouldn't upgrade until I absolutely had too. There are interesting features in 10 but nothing that really wows me.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody else feel like; even though ios10 will be released on the iPhone 5s variants. That honestly we shouldn't go that high? I feel like 9.3.3 is the end of the road for the 5S. 10 is the beginning of the end for the 5S and below. It's just too much for the hardware in my opinion. Now some of you will gladly upgrade to 10, but if what they say is true. Apple may support older devices but with each update the device slows down a little more. 9.3.3 has pretty much everything a 5S user would want in my opinion.

Saying that. I went back to 9.3.3 from ios10. Don't get me wrong. Ios10 is a great concept but it's built with 3D Touch in mind and that leaves out a lot of devices from the past. It will probably be an amazing OS for the 6 and up. Especially the 6S and up with 3D Touch. What're your thoughts?

I always upgrade my phone every year so I always go to a new OS with a new device. The one exception was my 3GS which was my first iPhone and for sentimental reasons, I didn't give it to a family member when I upgraded. On that device, I only upgraded it to iOS5 and yes, I saw a degradation of the experience. So, for me, one year is no problem. Two years I'd expect to see some degradation. By that time most people would upgrade anyway. Three years, I would expect to see further degradation.

I've found an extreme experience with Android, where one major upgrade turned each of my devices into a hot mess.

iCricket

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I always upgrade my phone every year so I always go to a new OS with a new device. The one exception was my 3GS which was my first iPhone and for sentimental reasons, I didn't give it to a family member when I upgraded. On that device, I only upgraded it to iOS5 and yes, I saw a degradation of the experience. So, for me, one year is no problem. Two years I'd expect to see some degradation. By that time most people would upgrade anyway. Three years, I would expect to see further degradation.

I've found an extreme experience with Android, where one major upgrade turned each of my devices into a hot mess.

Yeah maybe my experience is biased based on android experience.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iOS 10 b2 is working fine on my 5s. Beginning of the end? ROFL! Maybe with iOS 11 or 12. The speed is fine. UI quirks are a different story and largely subjective.

I noted elsewhere that what I don't like about 10 is the heavy font. It's a step, maybe two, back from the elegance of 9.3. I wish there were a switch in Settings that would get back the graceful look of Ultra Neue or whatever that was.

iOS 10 is needed for wOS 3 or I wouldn't upgrade until I absolutely had too. There are interesting features in 10 but nothing that really wows me.

I like the heavy font. It's much easier to see and read. When you get older with eye problems, style is less important.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
10 is the beginning of the end for the 5S and below. It's just too much for the hardware in my opinion.

What're your thoughts?

If you feel that way then perhaps consider upgrading your phone.

I noted elsewhere that what I don't like about 10 is the heavy font. It's a step, maybe two, back from the elegance of 9.3.

Sometimes it's more about usability. What is a dislike for you is a necessity for me... us older folks need font that is easier to see. ;)

I'm using iPhone 6S, beta version is slowing down my device as well but remember it is BETA VERSION. Just wait until the full version is released.

I always do a clean install of a beta (ie; install like new). I'm running beta on a iPhone 6s and have not experienced any lag/slowness in my device. At all. In fact I ran it while on vacation this past week and didn't have any issues in things that mattered most. Basically I'm running beta as a daily driver.

The only thing I really dislike about 10 is the music app. I'm running JetAudio. I used it on my PC long before they had any mobile app, and when they made the app for Android I jumped all over it and happily paid for it. When I bought my first iPhone a few months ago I had planned on repurchasing, but I really liked the default music app... until iOS 10. JetAudio, IMHO, is the best music app ever made and worth every single penny I've paid for it. To be honest I think the app is underrated and doesn't get enough exposure.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
@iCricket absolutely a fair enough question, and as a previous user of Windows CE, Windows Phone and current iOS and Android (if you don't use it, how can you have an informed opinion about it), it really does go against my previous experiences to expect that a phone released with a previous operating system major version would be ok to get an upgrade. Apple get's this right time and time again, dont' get me wrong it's not all roses and unicorn giggles, but for the most part it's the best experience in the market.

I have upgraded an old iPhone 5S to iOS 10 Dev Beta 3, it works just fine (fresh install, not upgrade). I do wonder about how things would be on iPhone 5 or 5C.....probably not quite so nice.

iCricket

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I guess when I wrote this my opinion was biased As I've not really had any background with the iPhone. Only android devices. I apologize to all of those people that I've offended with the statement. It seems that Apple did do a good job and I have to keep in mind that it is a beta operating system. When I go back to iOS 10. I will go back to it with an open mind and not any reflections from my android experience. I have decided that when it's released not in beta that I will give it a shot for a short time. Leaving me enough room to downgrade back to 9.3 before Apple stops signing it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW