What changes are there to the iOS 10 Keyboard?

anon(9789123)

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I just got iOS 10 couple of hours ago, and I love it. I love the new Apple News and Music Apps! And the widget screen and notifications are amazing. They actually beat Android. Anyway, what changes are there to the keyboard? Thank you!! iOS 10 definitely will keep me with iOS. Since this 6s Plus is my first Apple device ever, I didn't know if I'd stay. I'm big on being a beta tester, I was there for day one on Windows 10 Mobile and watched it development into a full OS that is good. And I'm still a fast ring Windows insider on my PC, which means I choose to get the beta builds first, but accept the bugs. The only things I wish Apple would do would to make Siri more like Cortana on the typing front and her notebook, and I'd like control of my file system on my phone. That's the hard one to get over, is not having a way to have deep full control of my files. But I still love my iPhone, the keyboard is the first stock keyboard I've ever kept aha. So I'm interested in seeing what changes to the keyboard there are.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've not noticed anything different in regard to the native keyboard in iOS 10.

combi06

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
There are a couple of changes so far.
- You can type in multiple languages at the same time without having to switch keyboards. English and Spanish are working for me but multiple users have reported issues with other languages.
- The typing sound is now more subtle

I personally think the only feature missing in the stock keyboard is the ability for swiping instead of tapping each letter. That is the only reason I still use Gboard as my main keyboard

lpelullo

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
The sound is way nicer (reminds me of the Windows Phone keyboard sound which I loved).

You can type in two languages without switching keyboards.

If you type things like "I live in" it will give you a prediction based on your contact info. There are also other contact based predictions and shortcuts.

Finally, after typing an ellipsis (...) it doesn't capitalize the first letter of the word you type after the ellipsis. This is a big plus for me.

Not good, but I've noticed that the predictions and corrections are pretty poor after the updates. Especially in Spanish.

I'd love to have swype in the stock keyboard and the ability to type in 3 languages, like SwiftKey for android (I live in Barcelona so I use Spanish mostly, but also Catalan and my native language, English).

BBsomeday

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, Apple needs to add swiping or something similar to BlackBerry's flick up on their VKB. I've never had an iPhone, but in using iOS on iPad and iPod I find typing very difficult with no way to shortcut the tapping of letters unless I spend the time to look up at the suggestions and then tap them...doesn't save time.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
IMO the best part about the keyboard is the multi-language ability, I cant type in Spanish and English without having to actually switch keyboards. Also, I really like the ability to hand write my text messages.

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Can you select which languages to use with the keyboard? I'd love to be able to switch more easily between English and Esperanto. All we really need are ĉ, ĝ, ĥ, ĵ, ŝ, and ŭ.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner