Rating songs in Apple Music

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
How do you rate songs in Apple Music on iOS 10? It used to be you tapped on the album artwork and selected the rating you preferred.

Last edited:

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I am awaiting this answer as well. I've looked and looked. Hope it wasn't taken away and is only missing due to beta status.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think it's gone for now, I cannot find it either. They may have not added it back in yet.

In all honesty, I really dislike the new music app.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it's gone for now, I cannot find it either. They may have not added it back in yet.

In all honesty, I really dislike the new music app.

I only used the 1 and the 5 star ratings in music. 1 for songs I want to delete from my iCloud Music Library and 5 to add it to my favorites folder.

Now I have created a playlist with the name "To Delete".
If I'm in a hurry or don't have enough concentration at the moment, I simply add the song to that playlist and delete it from my iCloud Music Library afterwards. For the 5 star rated songs I changed the filter settings for my Smart Playlist from 5 stars to liked. Songs I liked appear automagically in it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I only used the 1 and the 5 star ratings in music. 1 for songs I want to delete from my iCloud Music Library and 5 to add it to my favorites folder.

Now I have created a playlist with the name "To Delete".
If I'm in a hurry or don't have enough concentration at the moment, I simply add the song to that playlist and delete it from my iCloud Music Library afterwards. For the 5 star rated songs I changed the filter settings for my Smart Playlist from 5 stars to liked. Songs I liked appear automagically in it.

That's a neat use for the star ratings. I have over 4k songs on my phone (still need to add more), and I like every single one. Some more than others, but I don't dislike any enough to delete them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's a neat use for the star ratings. I have over 4k songs on my phone (still need to add more), and I like every single one. Some more than others, but I don't dislike any enough to delete them.

Yeah, there is this one artist I only listen once or twice in every while, same goes for for David Bowie. I have complete albums with Native American music I don't listen on my phone, only once in a while at home. I delete those songs from iCloud Music Library to keep them only in iTunes on my computer. Saves me a lot of skipping in the bus, train, bike and in the car. I have something like 900 songs this way in iTunes on my computer.

You could say I sort of recreated the classic 'sync only checked songs to my iPhone' option from when Music wasn't around.

Last time I was out with friends on the lake where I was the self appointed DJ reminded me to make more playlists for slow and upbeat music. I still need to do that, but with 8k music it's kind of hard to do.

Last edited:

OrangePoser

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I've been using the Siri trick lately and it's ok... accept that Siri is so completely unreliable that sometimes it doesn't hear me or just freezes, and that's not to mention that it stops the music...

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
It looks like you can only currently 'Love' or 'Dislike' a song (no star ratings) or keep it neutral (neither Loved or Disliked). If you press and hold a song in the listing or, if the play screen is up, pressing the More (three dots '...'), brings up the screen where Love and Dislike are at the bottom of the pop-up.

'Love' implies the song will be played more often, 'Dislike' less often when you randomly play music.

Dalfiusa

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I am awaiting this answer as well. I've looked and looked. Hope it wasn't taken away and is only missing due to beta status.

The best method I have found is to create 5 playlists, names 1-5 Star and then just add each song to a playlist and then when back at my computer rate all of the songs in each playlist and then remove them.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
The best method I have found is to create 5 playlists, names 1-5 Star and then just add each song to a playlist and then when back at my computer rate all of the songs in each playlist and then remove them.

This will work for items not yet rated. But how do you know the rating of the current song?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
This will work for items not yet rated.

It doesn't matter if it's already rated or not. You move it to the playlist with the rating you like. At home you open iTunes and open that playlist, than select all and rate to whatever rating the songs in that playlist should be.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't matter if it's already rated or not. You move it to the playlist with the rating you like. At home you open iTunes and open that playlist, than select all and rate to whatever rating the songs in that playlist should be.

I get that, but then there could be potential conflicts. One day it's a 4 and the next it's a 5 and then a 3. The struggle is real!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I get that, but then there could be potential conflicts. One day it's a 4 and the next it's a 5 and then a 3. The struggle is real!

That's why I am not using ratings anymore. If I love a song I 'love' it on my iPhone or in iTunes, depends on where I'm listening.

I don't use the dislike that much, though.

I made playlists for 2 styles of music. Upbeat or slow. That's sufficient for me.

Last edited:

justafew

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
This whole thing is annoying and I hope they bring it back. I use ratings a lot. Sure Love and Dislike allow me to identify any songs I decide I don't want anymore, but I have many playlists that are all based on ratings. Just because I like something doesn't mean it's a Five Star song. I have playlist dedicated to songs that I have rated 5 stars so I know I'm playing my absolute favorites at that time. Guess what - if I like it, it's in my library (6,000+ songs). If I don't like it, it's not in my Library. But there is no way to really distinguish between the levels of Like and Love. I like many, many songs (3 stars), I like many others more than that (4 stars) and I Love many others (5 stars).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro