How do I close all background apps at once in IOS 10?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to close all background apps at once in IOS 10

If it's a 6s or 7, it's possible to press the left edge of the display and it does the exact same thing as a Home button double click.

jnphd

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site

If I sounded demeaning, my deepest apology. That was not my intention.

Yet, on my iPad, when I shut down completely (to "off") and restart it, all the background apps are unaffected. You do the double press of the button, and you can see the 20 or so that were running before, even in the exact place you left them (like on a browser). So, I still have to say that your method does not work as far as "closing all running background apps".

If I want them to disappear, I need to go, one by one, pushing them up to kill them. That's the only way I have found is available. I'm on the latest iPad model, the one you can write on with the Apple pencil.

Again, apologies.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Yet, on my iPad, when I shut down completely (to "off") and restart it, all the background apps are unaffected. You do the double press of the button, and you can see the 20 or so that were running before, even in the exact place you left them (like on a browser). So, I still have to say that your method does not work as far as "closing all running background apps".

If I want them to disappear, I need to go, one by one, pushing them up to kill them. That's the only way I have found is available. I'm on the latest iPad model, the one you can write on with the Apple pencil.

Again, apologies.

No apologies necessary. All is well .
We're saying the same thing. But I do understand the confusion, it's a post with multiple quotes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Again, apologies.

Just because they sit in multitasking doesn't mean they are running. Most are not. The main purpose of apps in multitasking is for...well...multitasking. It's so you can easily switch from one app to another. If you have 20 apps showing in multitasking, there may only be 2 or 3 that are actually running in the background. The others are suspended.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I personally wasn't demeaned by it. You're ok by me. My replay was, in fact, a little flippant.

Yet, on my iPad, when I shut down completely (to "off") and restart it, all the background apps are unaffected. You do the double press of the button, and you can see the 20 or so that were running before, even in the exact place you left them (like on a browser).

There is some confusion. This is a list, in Most Recently Used (MRU) order, of the apps that have been opened in the foreground (unless you have gone in the list and swiped them away). It is not a list of apps that are running in the background. In reality, apps do not really run in the background - they continue to finish some operations when you switch away, and occasionally are reactivated to process any incoming messages, but otherwise they remain suspended. Anyway, this list is supposed to be used primarily as a task switcher between most recently used tasks. In my opinion, anyway, the ability to swipe an unresponsive app to close it is a secondary function of this list of recently used apps. As far as I know, Apple calls it the "task switcher" officially. See https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1838/_index.html

I believe that most of us have been saying the same thing in different ways, and perhaps interpreting the original post differently.

jnphd

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
And that's that. Thank you. I guess there was a reason it was designed as it was on purpose by Apple. Your explanation makes total sense. Thank you for the explanation. Best.

Proximo1

May 10, 2017
Visit site
To answer the original question. Yes. You can close all background apps at once.

Step 1.
Hold the power button until you reach the "Slide to power off" screen.

Step 2. Press and hold the "Home Button" until the screen switches back to normal.

That's it.

All background apps have been cleared from cache.

But wait..... I can still see all the background apps when I double click the home button!

True, but they are all cleared from cache. You can test easily by touching one of them. You will notice that the app will need to reload completely because there is nothing in memory.

For those of you who don't believe this works. Test it yourself.

Open several apps. Now double click on the home button and switch in and out of them. Notice how fast they pop up because they are loaded in cache memory.

Now do the trick I just described above and now try to open the same apps. You will notice that they must load up this time because the cache memory was cleared.

Hope this helps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
To answer the original question. Yes. You can close all background apps at once.

Step 1.

Step 2. Press and hold the "Home Button" until the screen switches back to normal.

That's it.

But wait..... I can still see all the background apps when I double click the home button!

True, but they are all cleared from cache. You can test easily by touching one of them. You will notice that the app will need to reload completely because there is nothing in memory.

Open several apps. Now double click on the home button and switch in and out of them. Notice how fast they pop up because they are loaded in cache memory.

Now do the trick I just described above and now try to open the same apps. You will notice that they must load up this time because the cache memory was cleared.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it's a better way to clear RAM than closing apps.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Step 1.

That's it.

Hope this helps.

This is very helpful. I don't like to think of the apps seen when you double click on the home button as background apps. I like to think of them as most recently used apps, which is different.

Thanks again.

Proximo1

May 10, 2017
Visit site
I agree that it's not that necessary, but sometimes it's a good idea to dump your cache memory if you are having some issues.

Just figured the person who originally asked the question wanted to know if there was a quicker way to do it.

:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree that it's not that necessary, but sometimes it's a good idea to dump your cache memory if you are having some issues.

Just figured the person who originally asked the question wanted to know if there was a quicker way to do it.

:)
By "cache memory", do you refer to RAM?

rosaleewake

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
Recently I learned a new trick. I don't know if it really works on cleaning RAM: Press and hold the sleep/wake button until iPhone shows "Slide to Power Off", and then press & hold the Home button for a few minutes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Recently I learned a new trick. I don't know if it really works on cleaning RAM: Press and hold the sleep/wake button until iPhone shows "Slide to Power Off", and then press & hold the Home button for a few minutes.

Yes, that works for clearing RAM. But it doesn't remove apps from multitasking.

Meija DaPit

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
You swipe up where you get the multitasking screen tap and hold it takes practice then you get a delete red box left hand corner of app delete away

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen