How do I close all background apps at once in IOS 10?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
...all the while using battery to background refresh...

Background App Refresh does not use a lot of battery. The apps run in the background regardless of whether BAR is enabled or not. It helps apps run more efficiently in the background. That actually saves resources.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Unbelievable! No one has an answer for the OP's question, but instead of admitting that this feature doesn't exist, you argue your logic as to why it is not needed. Let me ask this for all of you who subscribe to the, "let them run in the background" theory. Why is it every single time I've taken one of my devices into the Apple Store because of software issues, the first thing the "Genius" does is check to make sure there are no apps running in the background? He wasn't asking about performance of apps or battery life.
He simply asked, "Is there any way to close all background apps at once in iOS 10?"

That is a yes or no answer, and if your answer isn't yes, you really don't even need reply.

This is why I can't stand web forums, everybody is an "expert". Even when they can't answer your question.

Just a quick thought, if you can't stand web forums why are you here complaining?

pnClaudiu

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: How to close all background apps at once in IOS 10

So at this question people that don't know the answer responded: "it's better not to". It's actually better to close the apps in the app switcher because they already work in the background even when closed. So there are 2 actual answers:
1. You can't, on any iOS.
2. You can if you jailbreak your device and install an app like Swipe Home. Then you can swipe the home screen like when closing an app and it will kill apps.
Jailbreak now works on iOS 10.1-10.2 (do not upgrade to 10.2.1 if you want this), only on 64-bit devices (iPhone 5S or later).

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Just upgraded my iPad Pro to 10.2.1 last night and I'm sorry to say that there still isn't a "close all background apps at once" feature. I have submitted it as a feature request but my batting average with requests send to Apple is still a steady 0.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

You don't need this in iOS. I barely close all my apps. IOS does a good job of managing background apps.

jnphd

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site

Please do your homework before you post something you obviously have not tried. Turning the device off and then on does nothing to kill all background apps. They will still be there just as when you started the process.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Please do your homework before you post something you obviously have not tried. Turning the device off and then on does nothing to kill all background apps. They will still be there just as when you started the process.

If an app is running in the background, and you turn the phone off and then back on again, do you think that it will somehow magically continue to run in the background while the phone is turned off? Powering off will, by definition, close all apps.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If an app is running in the background, and you turn the phone off and then back on again, do you think that it will somehow magically continue to run in the background while the phone is turned off? Powering off will, by definition, close all apps.

I believe he was saying that resetting your iPhone will not cause all open apps to close once the process is completed. In this case, he's absolutely correct.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Of course you can. Long press power, swipe to power off. Power the phone back on.

All apps running at the time you powered off were closed.

Closing and starting an iPhone (or any iDevice) does not make the apps disappear from Taskswitcher. That's what the OP was asking for. It does close an app, but as soon as the phone restarts, all apps get reloaded in the cache of the phone.

You don't need this in iOS. I barely close all my apps. IOS does a good job of managing background apps.

This is the right answer

Like I said, they get reloaded as soon as the phone restarts. You are partially right in this.

I would have used other words without being demeaning, but you're right.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

So at this question people that don't know the answer responded: "it's better not to".
People who say "It's better not to" are actually right. Force closing an app clears the cache. And starting it back when needed, takes more time to start said app. This causes more battery drain than when you just leave the app in the taskswitcher. Ultimately it kinda beats the purpose of killing an app. You just don't save any battery life by closing app.

It's actually better to close the apps in the app switcher because they already work in the background even when closed.

Nope, it's not better. They may do work in the background as you said, but you just don't save any battery life, on the contrary, you cause for more battery drain.
So there are 2 actual answers:
this is correct.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for being pedantic, but an app in the recently used app list does not mean that it is running in the background. It's a list of the most recently opened apps still on the phone unless they have been cleared from the list. Just because an app is listed, it doesn't mean that it is running. If you have an app that is misbehaving and, for some reason, a double tap of home doesn't bring up the task list, shutting off the phone will surely close all apps that are running. If you have a 6s or 7, you can also force press on the left edge of the phone and swipe a little to the right to show the recently used app list.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
And the OP should probably check Settings / General / Accessibility / Home Button to see what the click speed is set to.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

When you power off the phone, any apps running in multitasking go into a suspended state. Just like most of the apps there that are already in that state. It doesn't kill them. The only way to kill apps in multitasking is to swipe them out. Then when you power back on, those suspended simply continue as they were. There's no way to close, or kill, all apps in bulk. If an app is closed, or killed, it won't be seen in multitasking until it's launched again.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

So at this question people that don't know the answer responded: "it's better not to". It's actually better to close the apps in the app switcher because they already work in the background even when closed. So there are 2 actual answers:
2. You can if you jailbreak your device and install an app like Swipe Home. Then you can swipe the home screen like when closing an app and it will kill apps.
Jailbreak now works on iOS 10.1-10.2 (do not upgrade to 10.2.1 if you want this), only on 64-bit devices (iPhone 5S or later).

Apps don't run in the background when they're closed. They're completely shut down. Apps need to run in the background so they perform as we want them to. I usually have about 100 or so apps in multitasking at any given time. Most are not running in the background. They're suspended. The only time I swipe any out, is if they misbehave.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh