Question About the New Photos

vanillasoda

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
So all this "stuff" happens on device (face, location, memories, etc). Does any of that then sync back to ICPL? Or are we going to have different/missing/unsynced "stuff" (faces, locations, memories, etc) on iPhone, iPad, macOS?

Also, what happens if you have to reset or get a new iphone is all that lost? I hope that's not the case that's a crummy way to deal with photos :(

vanillasoda

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Just listened to the Schiller/Craig/Gruber podcast (The Talk Show WWDC Live) and they did say that each device will do it's own analysis and that may change in the future but for now it's device independent. That's going to be a pretty messy situation I think. I'm not sure how confident I am that Apple, even on device, will provide a service that will be that seamless on the back of each device doing independent analysis.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
@vanillasoda indeed this is a surprise and shame that apple would approach it this way, one would think they would have a clear ability to share this kind of information between devices, even with a point to point encrypted tunnel (i.e. from iPhone to MacBook using WIFI or Bluetooth) and skipping storing this information within cloud services. That said, would we really care about storing this information in cloud services (with an opt out capability), most of us already share location data, out email, our contacts, our payment details etc etc etc.

vanillasoda

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I agree, I would love to see an opt-in feature for cloud processing. I'll stick with the Dropbox + upload to Google Photos in the meantime.

I do like that Apple offers a choice for those who prefer not to use a service like Google Photos..choice is good. But for someone who uses a lot of Apple hardware (iMac, rMBP, iPad, Apple TV) I want my albums, memories, faces, etc to be centralized in one location/processed in one location and then synced down to my devices.

Oh well.

ferreirarq

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I was having the exact same doubt... Since you do have to put in at least a couple of hours into faces to get your favorite people recognized and named on there...

It's a shame we need to do the same process on all our devices. It kind of sucks! Having an iCloud synced library, all that info should be saved as metadata on the photos.

vanillasoda

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I agree...also this means it won't necessarily carry over to Apple TV either. I think I'll stick with the "offload to dropbox and org by date/event" then set google photos uploader to watch that folder and let google photos do its thing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal