Will iOS 10 finally get you to use 3D Touch?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My wife has had an iPhone 6s from day one and I've showed her what 3D-Touch was but she hasn't used it once since. Whenever I use her phone I never use it either - it seems unnatural for me to press harder on a display / touch device. Most people outside the geekiverse don't care for it either as far as I was able to observe.

I'm with you. It's not a natural motion. Seems forced. In my experience nothing I do on my phone would be easier by using 3D touch. And I often forget about it. When iOS 10 drops I imagine I'll give it another try. When I first got my 6S I tried to use it consistently then I just stopped at some point.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why they are pushing it so hard with iOS 10 when their newest and baddest iPads don't even have it. So they're basically obsolete with iOS 10. It seemed to me that 3D Touch was pretty integral to iOS 10.

That being said, I already use it a lot so I'm sure I will use it even more. But it just doesn't seem like it's a very cohesive experience with it playing such an important role in iOS 10.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I understand that 3D touch is relatively expensive to include in a phone, and it takes up a significant amount of space - meaning the phone must either be thicker or the other components smaller (which is what Apple choose to do). The result is that the phone ends up having a smaller battery and poorer battery life.

I think iOS10 is make-or-break for 3D Touch. If it doesn't get widespread use, I wonder if Apple will drop it sometime around the iPhone 7S/8 timeframe.

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I understand that 3D touch is relatively expensive to include in a phone, and it takes up a significant amount of space - meaning the phone must either be thicker or the other components smaller (which is what Apple choose to do). The result is that the phone ends up having a smaller battery and poorer battery life.

I think iOS10 is make-or-break for 3D Touch. If it doesn't get widespread use, I wonder if Apple will drop it sometime around the iPhone 7S/8 timeframe.

They won't drop it. Trust me

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If few people use it, wouldn't it make sense to drop it, and save money and improve battery life?

They could've made the phone thicker to increase battery life and remove camera protruding. Did they? No. Because if they do, it'll mean that they were wrong and that'll affect the company's image

duke821

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I use it daily for app shortcuts. Don't know why people wouldn't, it's so much quicker than opening the app and then selecting what you want to do. The reason it's quicker is because apps can have various function buttons in different places, whereas the 3D Touch shortcut drops a short list right there where your thumb already is. So I use it 95% for most frequent contacts in the phone app, for Google Search and Google Image Search, to compose a new email, and to start a new tab in Safari. I don't much use it other than that, but see there will be so much more use for it in iOS10 given it'll open individual app widget for quick glance info. Very nice. Like everything else, it'll be a curious thing at first, and in a few years we won't remember using an iPhone without it.

duke821

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
They could've made the phone thicker to increase battery life and remove camera protruding. Did they? No. Because if they do, it'll mean that they were wrong and that'll affect the company's image

That's nonsense. They won't make the phone thicker because that would also make it heavier and no one wants a heavier phone. Battery life would be marginally improved but you'd have a heavier phone and the 6S Plus is already a beast to carry around, like any phablet is. Not making it thicker has nothing to do with being wrong or right or the companies image. I always get through a single day and would not want the phone thicker, and I can't be the only one.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
That's nonsense. They won't make the phone thicker because that would also make it heavier and no one wants a heavier phone.

I do. I find modern smartphones to be disconcertingly light. A bit more weight suggests quality to me. :)

Battery life would be marginally improved but you'd have a heavier phone and the 6S Plus is already a beast to carry around, like any phablet is. Not making it thicker has nothing to do with being wrong or right or the companies image. I always get through a single day and would not want the phone thicker, and I can't be the only one.

Battery life isn't a big problem in the 6S plus. The 6S though has a bad reputation: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...essor-fingerprint-sensor-rubbish-battery-life

Either adding a bit of thickness and weight to the 6S, or dropping touch ID (which few people seem to use) in exchange for a larger battery would be a good thing IMO.

monkeysaintfun

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
dropping touch ID (which few people seem to use) in exchange for a larger battery would be a good thing IMO.
That makes ZERO sense. TouchID is actually highly used and dropping the TouchID button is not going to allow a larger battery. It's like saying lets put smaller wheels on my car so I can fit a larger engine...

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think that the focus on 3D Touch during the keynote means that we may see the new iPad Pro (possibly November release based on precedent) hardware ship with it? Seems like the iPad-line always gets the newest hardware addition one generation after the phone (i.e. Touch ID).

Thoughts?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
That makes ZERO sense. TouchID is actually highly used and dropping the TouchID button is not going to allow a larger battery. It's like saying lets put smaller wheels on my car so I can fit a larger engine...

Apologies - I didn't mean Touch ID (which I assume is the fingerprint sensor). I meant 3D Touch. Few people use it and it wastes space inside the phone which could be used for a bigger battery. Therefore I would drop it if it doesn't get some traction in the next 12 months.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a few apps I use it with a good bit... curious to see how day-to-day use increases/improves with iOS 10. I'll be putting the public beta on in July :)

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Never even think about using it. Maybe if they ever bring it to the iPad, but the fact it's not on EITHER flagship iPad Pro makes me think it's not long for the ecosystem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR