What are your thoughts on Apple's iOS 10 announcement?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's official. iOS 10 has been announced with some great new features. What are your thoughts on this Fall's upcoming release? Is there a new feature that's blown your mind? Is there something that's missing that you were hoping would be there? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

I'm whelmed... not over or under... just whelmed.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I am excited. I think Apple has some really good changes under the hood.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm really happy to see that they're opening up more to developers. That is a huge step in the right direction.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I'm even-keeled. Nothing excites me into "I gotta have that now!" like previous WWDC previews.

I'm not too happy with the iMessage stuff basically turning into a snapchat, millennial thing. Usually things like that don't bother me but there's not much I can do to control all that stuff other than turning off iMessage altogether which I don't want to do.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm even-keeled. Nothing excites me into "I gotta have that now!" like previous WWDC previews.

I'm not too happy with the iMessage stuff basically turning into a snapchat, millennial thing. Usually things like that don't bother me but there's not much I can do to control all that stuff other than turning off iMessage altogether which I don't want to do.

My thoughts exactly!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

I'm not thrilled with the iMessage stuff either. Seems geared for kids mostly. I do like the update to the lock screen. That will be nice. Also the additions to the Control Center will be useful.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I like what they did but I'm extremely concerned we aren't going to see any major forward momentum on the iPad front. It got almost zero keynote time beyond Swift Playgrounds (which looks FANTASTIC). REALLY hoping they made some major improvements to multitasking on iPad and just didn't mention it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

Boring, unexciting, just playing catch up. Typical modern keynotes.

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site

Lockscreen! Finally. And 3Dtouch makes the homescreen usefull. Its not tiles as I have hoped for but its a good middle ground between iOS, android and Windows phone.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Lockscreen! Finally. And 3Dtouch makes the homescreen usefull. Its not tiles as I have hoped for but its a good middle ground between iOS, android and Windows phone.

Maybe people will start actually using 3D Touch now.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

I actually like some of the changes. It looks like Apple was very mindful of how they designed the new features so that they aren't in the way if you don't want to use them.

Last edited:

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm very excited. Love the new lock screen and notifications. Plus the added "ease of use" (like the maps example , or being able to request an uber right from lock screen).

Messages is cool, but not the be all end all.

Wondering if the added 3D touch capabilities means we will see it on the next iPad Pro - or will the apple Pencil take over that job?!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

just read about it, no use to me unless I finally buy a new phone ! and when I do I'll have to disable most of this stuff.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I love the new lock screen features, too. I am not big on giant emojis. I already use 3D Touch a good bit. Having it on the lock screen will be great. Not really into the iMessage features. Like some of the poster above, they seem to be geared toward youngins. My kids will love it, though, so I guess there's that.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site

It's sad to see Apple move in this direction. The iMessage update is kinda like the Facebook message app, the photo app looks somewhat confusing, and the lock screen has some cool tricks, but when pulling the phone out of your pocket there looks to be some accidental app triggering with this Auto display feature. There was bigger innovation when iOS 7 was announced in 2013.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Although I was at work during the keynote, I will view it later. Having said that, I have iOS 10 installed on both my iPad and iPhone and thus far, things seem to be going well. The battery isn't rapidly draining and the device itself isn't heating up or anything. So far so good. I don't have a problem with the Messages app because the additions aren't necessarily in the way, at least not for me. I doubt I'll use the numerous gifs, etcetera, but I don't mind them being available, especially for those who'll use them often. The speed of the UI is noticeably fast, and everything seem to work. Hopefully, they will continue to work...:cool:...We'll see.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

It's sad to see Apple move in this direction. The iMessage update is kinda like the Facebook message app, the photo app looks somewhat confusing, and the lock screen has some cool tricks, but when pulling the phone out of your pocket there looks to be some accidental app triggering with this Auto display feature. There was bigger innovation when iOS 7 was announced in 2013.

It's a delicate balance considering the wide range of people using iMessage. I honestly won't know which features I'll use and which ones I won't until I have iOS 10 running on my phone. If they aren't in my way they won't bother me anyway.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

It was.. idk boring & nothing exciting. I like the new look of apple music that's really it

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

My thoughts are the OS is better on the phone once you get a feel for it than you see on a keynote. The UI refinements are superb.