What are your thoughts on Apple's iOS 10 announcement?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, although it doesn't answer the first question that comes to my mind: What if I need to do something that needs an app that I've uninstalled? For instance, what if I removed Mail and then needed to send an email? How does that work? From what I've read there really isn't a clear answer.
Reinstall the app via the App Store.
The common sense thing would be for iOS to allow users to set another default app, but we know what Apple thinks about that!
I think it would work in the same sense as the 3rd party keyboards. Some things will remain native to iOS. Still, for the most part, the apps that people will be removing from view will be apps that they flat out will not ever use. Think about it. Those who currently use 3rd-party counterparts have been quite happy with their arrangement and the native apps have been placed into a folder and basically forgotten. The only difference now is the fact that they can remove those apps from view.

jhails

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Despite the faster watch OS, I'm still not buying one until it does something useful. iMessages updates are ok if your into that stuff. I suspect the catch up to Android novelty factor will quickly fade.

Sharing across devices might be useful if it works. File system updates might prove to be the most useful change of everything I saw.

Enjoyed Bosma's presentation!!

JPrime44

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

Not sure why people don't like forward progress with iMessage. Keeping things the same and letting them get stale is a recipe for disaster and will have people jumping ship. I am excited for the changes!

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Based on the info below, it doesn't sound like I'm getting my storage space back. So, what's the point of 'deleting', or should I say, hidding the app?

"To re-download a built-in app, you go to the App Store and search for it like any other app. The difference is though, if you tap the get button to re-download it, it doesn't actually have to download any data. It just switches the app back on."

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it would work in the same sense as the 3rd party keyboards. Some things will remain native to iOS. Still, for the most part, the apps that people will be removing from view will be apps that they flat out will not ever use. Think about it. Those who currently use 3rd-party counterparts have been quite happy with their arrangement and the native apps have been placed into a folder and basically forgotten. The only difference now is the fact that they can remove those apps from view.

Makes sense.

RobDevereax

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I feel that Apple should've spent more time on their key board options. I wish they would've given us the option of a dark keyboard for typing, and the ability to swipe the words rather than type. The ability to use one-handed mode, and a built in thumbs only keyboard would've made the experience that much more amazing!! The lock screen as well should've had the ability to create a locking pattern, along with the weather, and steps taken as you walk on the lock screen for health conscious people. In addition, the ability to write your name on the slide to unlock button would've been neat. Finally, a guest screen to allow people to use your phone and not look at your private information should have been created by now. I could go on and on, but it's just a matter of time.

Nocticis

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Raise to wake and changes to the notifications is awesome, though I wish spotlight did more, like read my email and show me upcoming bills, like Google Now does but keeping that info on the phone.
I like the photo additions, but not big into pictures, so yeah.
Apps being open to developers is great though I'm sure limited. For example if I say "Hey Siri, play Top of the line by Rittz, it'll open Apple Music." (Of course) but I don't think you saying "Hey Siri, play Top of the line by Rittz on Spotify," would work like it does on Android phones. Likewise, I don't think you can get directions to a place using Google Maps using Siri either.
iMessage stuff... Meh. Just more bloat. Wouldn't surprised if if by iOS 12, that a lot of that stuff is silently removed. Honestly they should have just kept iMessage as it was and expanded it to Android. Done.
Wished dark mode came to iOS
Would like Apple to give attention to other apps like GameCenter podcast and calendar
Don't like the new news icon. I use that app every day and accounts for 19% of my battery life usage almost every week.

ron.roberts2

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I was underwhelmed. I wish Apple would let go and let the user customize the device. That is one area that I feel Android kills iOS at. Apple feels that they know how a user wants or should use a device. Let me make the device how I want it. I would love to see Widgets on the Home screen. If you take out the iMessage update, wow did they blow a big opportunity to make iOS 10 something big. I feel each update keeps getting less impressive. They are making me really consider jumping ship to Android. At least Google is doing some pretty big things. I have always been an Apple fan but man is it tough to stay loyal when the innovation is just not happening.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Reinstall the app via the App Store.

Makes sense. Still, I'd like the ability to use Google's own Gmail app and have it open when I click an email link rather than the stock app.

Not necessarily a game changer for me, but it would be nice nonetheless.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Not sure why people don't like forward progress with iMessage. Keeping things the same and letting them get stale is a recipe for disaster and will have people jumping ship. I am excited for the changes!

True story. If the changes aren't in the way who really cares whether or not they're present in the app?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

It's not really forward progress. It's just playing catch-up to other platforms who use these annoying "features." The screenshots of the new iMessage are already activating my claustrophobic senses.

"Keeping things the same" is what you assume some of us want. I'm all for enhancing it in ways. Sending money to someone, for example. But it's the other things that are out of my control that I don't like, unless I just completely turn off iMessage which isn't something I want to do because I use it every day to sync between my devices.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site

"...activating my claustrophobic senses" - LMAO! I totally get this.

It's not really forward progress. It's just playing catch-up to other platforms who use these annoying "features." The screenshots of the new iMessage are already activating my claustrophobic senses.

"Keeping things the same" is what you assume some of us want. I'm all for enhancing it in ways. Sending money to someone, for example. But it's the other things that are out of my control that I don't like, unless I just completely turn off iMessage which isn't something I want to do because I use it every day to sync between my devices.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Rest in peace, spelling, grammar and punctuation. People will do nothing but write out emojis as their language and we're all going to the hot place.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

It's a delicate balance considering the wide range of people using iMessage. I honestly won't know which features I'll use and which ones I won't until I have iOS 10 running on my phone. If they aren't in my way they won't bother me anyway.

The thing is that the people receiving the new messages need to be on iOS 10 in order to receive the messages, or they just won't deliver.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Rest in peace, spelling, grammar and punctuation. People will do nothing but write out emojis as their language and we're all going to the hot place.

I blame autocorrect and the increase of usage of tech in HS to the decrease in my spelling abilities. I used to be able to spell out words just by hearing them, now it's the autocorrect on my MBA.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like people are really blowing this iMessage thing out of proportion. I'd imagine it wont be in your face. If you want to use those features cool. If not, don't. Only time I'd imagine you'd be presented with it in that case is if someone is sending you content that calls on those features?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like people are really blowing this iMessage thing out of proportion. I'd imagine it wont be in your face. If you want to use those features cool. If not, don't. Only time I'd imagine you'd be presented with it in that case is if someone is sending you content that calls on those features?

That's exactly what I'm throwing a hissy-fit over. I barely tolerate the stuff people send me now so once they catch wind of they can do even more, it'll be more in my face.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro