What are your thoughts on Apple's iOS 10 announcement?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

My thoughts are the OS is better on the phone once you get a feel for it than you see on a keynote. The UI refinements are superb.

I haven't watched the keynote, but I agree that the UI refinements are superb.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site

I watched it at work on my iPad. I did catch him mention about sending a heartbeat through iMessage. I bet we might see a heart rate sensor on the next iPhone. Still disappointed in the lack of upgrade to the camera shutter.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I watched it at work on my iPad. I did catch him mention about sending a heartbeat through iMessage. I bet we might see a heart rate sensor on the next iPhone. Still disappointed in the lack of upgrade to the camera shutter.

Could be a hardware limitation. Just guessing though.

Yeah, we'll see in September when the phone itself is actually updated.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

I'm sad that mail/calendar/reminders didn't get any real love, it's time to add snooze support and a better integration between (especially reminders/tasks). If Apple aren't prepared to move this forward, they should allow us to change defaults to Spark/Airmail/etc.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm sad that mail/calendar/reminders didn't get any real love, it's time to add snooze support and a better integration between (especially reminders/tasks). If Apple aren't prepared to move this forward, they should allow us to change defaults to Spark/Airmail/etc.

Good points. I use Fantastical for my calendar and reminders but it would be nice to see some progress made in Mail.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Excited about being able to finally remove those stock apps I don't ever use! Aside from that, we'll see.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site

I, for one, am hugely disappointed. Each year it's getting harder and harder for me to justify spending so much money on a smartphone. What Apple has shown today can be summarized in two statements:

a) we've run out of ideas so let's make crazy things
b) China, China, CHINA!!!!! ME WANT MORE CHINA!!!

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site

I, for one, am hugely disappointed. Each year it's getting harder and harder for me to justify spending so much money on a smartphone. What Apple has shown today can be summarized in two statements:

This was all software updates for current devices, you won't be paying anything for it.

What iOS 10 will bring for the iPhone 7 is unknown at the moment and I guess they hide it from the SDK at the moment.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

What iOS 10 will bring for the iPhone 7 is unknown at the moment and I guess they hide it from the SDK at the moment.

Good point -- we'll have to see what the "hidden" features are when the new phone arrives.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I understand, but when is the last time anybody blew our minds? The smartphone market is reaching maturity. There's only so much more we can expect our devices to do. They had to slow down at some point and obviously "some point" came a year or two ago. You can always jump ship but you'll be waiting for the next incremental update just like the rest of us.

There's really no need to upgrade annually unless there's a new feature that you absolutely must have. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple extended their new product release cycles out past one year in the near future. I don't think it'll happen this year but maybe after next year's 7s/8 release.

This was all software updates for current devices, you won't be paying anything for it.

Very good point.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

Excited about being able to finally remove those stock apps I don't ever use! Aside from that, we'll see.

This is what I'm most excited about too. Hopefully this will eventually lead to Apple finally allowing us to set default apps for mail, music, etc.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

From what I've seen, iOS 10 is going to add a nice amount of tweaks to an already great device experience. Some I'll use (widgets, notification interaction) and some I won't (most of the messaging updates) but the whole package will make iOS better. I know some are excited about the ability to uninstall unused Apple apps as well. I think there's a little something for everyone.

I do like larger emoji for some reason

#dontjudgeme

Last edited:

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

Of all the announcements, I think iOS 10 had the most to offer and most to get excited over. Taken as a whole, I found WWDC to be somewhat underwhelming, but iOS has some features like messages that I'm looking forward too

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm wondering about privacy. It seemed like so much information is accessible from the lock screen without needing a password. Maybe I missed something.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm wondering about privacy. It seemed like so much information is accessible from the lock screen without needing a password. Maybe I missed something.

I noticed that too. I assume you can disable what is accessible from the lockscreen but, like everything, there's a trade off. You lose convenience when you turn things off.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I thought that exact same thing. im honestly not that worried about it personally but I can see that being a huge concern for some people.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

There was no "wow thats awesome" moment. Just a bunch of features that I've seen on other devices that I'm excited are finally making their way to the iPhone. I'm looking forward to the Music revamp, iMessages enhancements and lock screen changes.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Underwhelming. I feel like as of late Apple has gotten very stale across the board. They still dominate my tech life as I own from a watch to a Mac, but, just nothing exciting going on. I know Android isn't having any huge things going on either. I guess I've just come to expect something exciting from Apple.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

I read the sentiment about Apple being stale and resting on their laurels. I get how someone would feel that way being someone who has spent their fair share on both sides of the proverbial aisle. I must say though, I'm pleased that they don't always rush to be 1st to market with new features yet spend time implementing those features and having them function seamlessly on the initial release!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73