iMessage for android?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think we can all conclude that both messaging platforms are very safe.
Please stay on topic.

This is absolutely on topic. iMessage is only interesting to Android users if it brings something new to their platform. Improved security over other communication platforms could be that something. We're exploring that potential.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This is absolutely on topic. iMessage is only interesting to Android users if it brings something new to their platform. Improved security over other communication platforms could be that something. We're exploring that potential.

No problem. Just making sure we don't venture off too far.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
May I ask why? I would have expected iMessage to be lower rated than WhatsApp. After all, it falls back to SMS which is not particularly secure if you're worried about eavesdropping, and can be subject to legal intercept. Otherwise, they are both fairly similar, with end to end encryption specs that look good, but no way to confirm the quality and accuracy of the implementation.

Because Apple made it that way. As far as I know, no one has cracked iMessage.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I remember there used to be an app that everyone was scared about. They said a cat called Angela was actually a person watching you through the FaceTime camera. Soon it will be Steve Jobs ghost haunting any android user that dares to use iMessage or FaceTime on their android phone.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Because Apple made it that way. As far as I know, no one has cracked iMessage.

True - but as far as I know, no-one has cracked WhatsApp either. So I still wonder why IS rates iMessage as having higher security than WhatsApp. I'm not attacking iMessage, just curious.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How does someone SMSing me cost me money? Honestly, I know hardly anybody using WhatsApp. Where do you live? I'm wondering if usage varies a lot by location.

Kicking a very old post, but here goes:
WhatsApp is quite popular in countries other than the U.S.. It’s the number 1 service in the Netherlands for example

The person you are corresponding with who doesn't have iMessage is the one sending SMS's. The fact you use iMessage rather than WhatsApp costs them money.

I'd rather not reveal where I live, but my WhatsApp correspondents are Android and iPhone users. Apart from the cost, iMessage doesn't work well when you're messaging non-iPhone users (or iPhone users who have disabled iMessage) because you can't send and receive pictures, videos, etc.

If you’re an iMessage user and send a text to a non-iMessage user, you use the classic way of texting, same as the person on the receiving end. I guess what I’m trying to say is that using or not using iMessage doesn’t change anything in this case.

I live in The Netherlands and texting has been free for over 3 years now on most carrier plans to national numbers. And since a month it’s even free to text EU numbers.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It costs *them* money to SMS you!!!!!! You are not the only party affected by your use of iMessage.

Since you’re resurrecting this conversation that has been dead for over a year...The cost of others to message me is not my concern. I know tons of people happily using iMessage, a bunch using SMS because they’re on another platform, and have never been asked to use WhatsApp by anybody. Seems I’d be pretty lonely in the messaging world if I were using WhatsApp.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Since you’re resurrecting this conversation that has been dead for over a year...The cost of others to message me is not my concern. I know tons of people happily using iMessage, a bunch using SMS because they’re on another platform, and have never been asked to use WhatsApp by anybody. Seems I’d be pretty lonely in the messaging world if I were using WhatsApp.

I’m on WhatsApp. If you’re not satisfied with the amount of texting on iMessage, I’d say, feel free to hit me up on WhatsApp

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
True, but you’re not in the U.S. Even so, you still happily use iMessage.

I prefer it over WhatsApp, really.
When you send photos and videos on WhatsApp, they get heavily reduced in quality and resolution to reduce data usage, and there is no setting to change this, unlike in iMessage.
That’s why I always use emails or if applicable, iMessage to send those kind of media. And I made it an habit to demand from others to do the same unless it’s not an important video or photo.