iMessage for android?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Armchair CEO rant incoming;

I remember reading Issacson's biography on Steve Jobs in which they spoke about iTunes being on Android. He said they were ready to develop it and he scrapped it eventually because "Why do I want to make Android users happy". In a sense I think it was wrong because it's a service that makes money for the company so furthering it to other platforms is a no-brainer. But in the case of iMessage, why does Apple want to make Android users happy? Where is the revenue for iMessage, ya know?

Over the years I think the "blue bubble" unintentionally became something popular. Just look at memes online regarding "green bubbles" and you'll see what I mean. Apple is probably better off keeping iMessage as iDevice exclusive as long as it has luster.

THIS.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to have a unified messaging app. Personally, I don't care who makes it as long as it works. iMessage just does. Props where they're due.

That would be WhatsApp. In my opinion it offers all the same advantages as iMessage and its cross platform. The nice thing about iMessages is that it's baked into the messaging application. There is no side application that you must use. Your phone determines whether to use iMessage or regular SMS. So that'd be the only draw back. But aside from that WhatsApp is great. I use it regularly.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Rumors squashed!! Thank god. Keep iMessage and FaceTime on Apple devices! One leverage Apple has going to their devices

Thank god?! Really? Why would an iUser care if Android users got an iOS application? I don't think our experience would be ruined at all. I don't really need my iPhone to have "leverage". I'll enjoy my device just as much. It's all about what the best device is for YOU. People use these phones as status symbols. They are just smart devices lol.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp does not appear to be safe from various forms of malware and hackery, and is now owned by one of the arch data amalgamators of all time. I tried it because my kids had it and deleted it because it was a bit unreliable and I felt uncomfortable with it. I really like iMessage and it will send a sms to those who don't have it,so good enough for me.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I mean with most all carriers giving unlimted texting anyway why not use SMS. No worry about whos is using what app just send it and forget it

The point, as I wrote elsewhere, is that:
1. When you're communicating with a non-iPhone user, iMessage uses SMS (which is not free for everyone in the world) or MMS (which is expensive for a lot of people, and for many it simply doesn't work).
2. WhatsApp can be used by pretty much all smart phone users, and allows text, picture and video messaging. And BTW, it also provides quite good voice over IP too.

But we're going round in circles now. As I said, I was just surprised to hear of iMessage being used as I currently have an Android phone and I very rarely get SMS's, and never MMS's, even from iPhone users. Almost all my text/picture messages, and an increasing proportion of calls, go via WhatsApp. Indeed, this trend is driven by the iPhone users I know. :) As some say, maybe it varies from country to country.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
WhatsApp does not appear to be safe from various forms of malware and hackery, and is now owned by one of the arch data amalgamators of all time. I tried it because my kids had it and deleted it because it was a bit unreliable and I felt uncomfortable with it. I really like iMessage and it will send a sms to those who don't have it,so good enough for me.

As of April 5, 2016, WhatsApp has a score of 6 out of 7 points on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's "Secure Messaging Scorecard".

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
61b1ae559045f5ac75038b3495c64516.jpg

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd be interested to know why IS rank iMessage and Facebook Messenger above WhatsApp. WhatsApp's end to end encryption should be very secure. Assuming you trust the closed source implementation of course - this is true of iMessage and Messenger too. Maybe it's because WhatsApp uses phone numbers? Other theories are welcome!

No idea. I would have thought iMessage would be higher.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
No idea. I would have thought iMessage would be higher.

May I ask why? I would have expected iMessage to be lower rated than WhatsApp. After all, it falls back to SMS which is not particularly secure if you're worried about eavesdropping, and can be subject to legal intercept. Otherwise, they are both fairly similar, with end to end encryption specs that look good, but no way to confirm the quality and accuracy of the implementation.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
May I ask why? I would have expected iMessage to be lower rated than WhatsApp. After all, it falls back to SMS which is not particularly secure if you're worried about eavesdropping, and can be subject to legal intercept. Otherwise, they are both fairly similar, with end to end encryption specs that look good, but no way to confirm the quality and accuracy of the implementation.

Because of the apple vs FBI case after that you'd think iOS is very secure

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Those are two different types of messages. The iMessages you send are secure, but if you're not connected to the Internet, then SMS messages are sent NOT iMessages. It falls back to SMS for convenience, but there's a settings for the messages app that allows you to disable sending as SMS if you are already sending iMessages. Your security is only compromised if you chose to let your iMessages fall back to SMS.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Those are two different types of messages. The iMessages you send are secure, but if you're not connected to the Internet, then SMS messages are sent NOT iMessages. It falls back to SMS for convenience, but there's a settings for the messages app that allows you to disable sending as SMS if you are already sending iMessages. Your security is only compromised if you chose to let your iMessages fall back to SMS.

OK, so any theories why IS rate iMessage as having higher security than WhatsApp (the opposite conclusion to the EFF)?