iMessage for android?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've never understood the attraction to WhatsApp. Never used it or needed it. I use iMessage and sometimes Facebook Messenger. And Slack for biz.

Not since iMessage (2012). Before I only had 200 text/mo plan and would go over. WhatsApp helped with that, iPhone to iPhone.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't comment on the US, but in many countries SMS is paid per message, especially on cheaper tariffs. MMS (for picture messages) is often very expensive, and is never included in tariffs. A random British network I just checked out charges 40p (USD 0.57) per MMS. And in my experience MMS often doesn't work - European networks don't seem to bother setting it up any more even for use in the home network. I've never known MMS work when roaming (and would be very wary trying, as charges would be unpredictable).

Note this story about a British operator advising people to use WhatsApp or Skype instead of MMS: Three suggests you use WhatsApp or Skype instead of expensive MMS*
They don't even mention iMessage.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't comment on the US, but in many countries SMS is paid per message, especially on cheaper tariffs. MMS (for picture messages) is often very expensive, and is never included in tariffs. A random British network I just checked out charges 40p (USD 0.57) per MMS. And in my experience MMS often doesn't work - European networks don't seem to bother setting it up any more even for use in the home network. I've never known MMS work when roaming (and would be very wary trying, as charges would be unpredictable).

Note this story about a British operator advising people to use WhatsApp or Skype instead of MMS: Three suggests you use WhatsApp or Skype instead of expensive MMS*
They don't even mention iMessage.

So it's fair to say things are much different in different parts of the world, which is why I don't use WhatsApp and you do.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Why would anyone use iMessage? Why not WhatsApp? Or just good old SMS?

Because its on the iPhone and why not? It takes no more work or effort to use iMessage over SMS. The phone itself switches between the two automatically depending on the receiving device. You can send high-res photos, videos, etc over it as well. Delivery receipts, read receipts, typing indicator just to name a few of the features. On top of that, iMessage is encrypted end-to-end so there cant be any eavesdropping on your messaging and saying between any of the participants.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Dbf8085, That may not be the case in Brazil, or South Africa, or Ukraine, or Spain, or Qu?bec, etc.

Also, that doesn't guarantee international SMS/MMS is free.

Lastly, iMessage allows you to sent almost everything at a high quality. MMS, not so much and what's supported out of the box is heavily dependent on the client software on the device.

Velvet G

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Android user here. The big difference and why iMessage might be a better solution for everyone is that when my iPhone friends send videos, the video quality is destroyed and it's a tiny, pixelated mess. If the same video is sent by email, it's perfect. I'd be fine looking into iMessage and even paying for it if it is offered. I think a lot of others will too since Hangouts never really took off. I'm about as Android as they come but for texting, I use Textra.

I saw some other comments about people leaving Apple for an Android device if iMessage comes to Android. I don't really see that happening all that much. People who love their iPhones tend to love the ecosystem for a reason. Same way that Android users love the way Android works.

It would be nice to have a unified messaging app. Personally, I don't care who makes it as long as it works. iMessage just does. Props where they're due.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone I know paying for SMS messages for probably ten years.

My previous AT&T plan didn't have unlimited SMS and was limited to 200 SMS messages. I got rid of it last year when I migrated away from Unlimited Data. I now have unlimited SMS.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Caught up a little late on the keynote and didn't hear/see a mention of iMessage for Android. Rumor that didn't come to pass i suppose.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll never use another Google messaging platform because they have too many to the point that getting even Android users to use the one you want is as bad as getting them to switch to iPhone (sometimes worse, in my experience).

Also, you never know when they'll decide to reinvent the wheel.

Hangouts suffered the same faults as Skype. They tried to do too much with one app, and it ended up smelling like a freemium offering with built in advertisements for other (or commercial) services/components.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts suffered the same faults as Skype. They tried to do too much with one app, and it ended up smelling like a freemium offering with built in advertisements for other (or commercial) services/components.
I've got Hangouts and it works ok for what it is -- basically instead of AIM at work when we're all spread out in different parts of the state/country.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The following quote is from Walt Mossberg's piece on WWDC and Apple. You can find it on The Verge as I don't want to link outside of here.

When I asked a senior Apple executive why iMessage wasn’t being expanded to other platforms, he gave two answers. First, he said, Apple considers its own user base of 1 billion active devices to provide a large enough data set for any possible AI learning the company is working on. And, second, having a superior messaging platform that only worked on Apple devices would help sales of those devices — the company’s classic (and successful) rationale for years.

It's pretty much what I figured.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
The "help sales of those devices" is fine when you are in a growth phase, however iPhone is not. By taking this position, the very real risk is that other competing services go over the top and make Apples Messages irrelevant. I'm moving more and more to WhatsApp/Skype/FB Messenger, just to ensure that I can have the basic functionality of group chat with my friends, who don't all use iPhone.

I'd like to suggest that Apple should step up it's game and open Messages to other platforms (at least Android and Windows desktops), however I'm not sure it would make any difference at all, little to none of my friends who are on Android would install the app anyway, so this would be a wasted effort.

Don't get me wrong, the default always on and reliable blue bubble Messages are fantastic, however that excludes me from communicating with over half of my friends in a group chat. This was painfully evident the other day when we were arranging a dinner, all were iPhone users bar two, as a result the Message that was send out was sent to each person individually, no group chat, and the sender didn't understand this, she thought that everyone would see all of the replies. The result was that half of us went to the wrong venue and were 30 minutes late.

Our solution, move to WhatsApp.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That's pretty good that's what I figured I'm happy with that

Armchair CEO rant incoming;

I remember reading Issacson's biography on Steve Jobs in which they spoke about iTunes being on Android. He said they were ready to develop it and he scrapped it eventually because "Why do I want to make Android users happy". In a sense I think it was wrong because it's a service that makes money for the company so furthering it to other platforms is a no-brainer. But in the case of iMessage, why does Apple want to make Android users happy? Where is the revenue for iMessage, ya know?

Over the years I think the "blue bubble" unintentionally became something popular. Just look at memes online regarding "green bubbles" and you'll see what I mean. Apple is probably better off keeping iMessage as iDevice exclusive as long as it has luster.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods