iMessage for android?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's worth repeating Rob Phillips statement twice.

Yet I still stand by what I said. I’m not using WhatsApp and I’ve not once been asked to install it or had anyone inquire about how to contact me on WhatsApp. So either all of these people are paying to message me or they’re simply not paying for SMS messages. I’m thinking it’s the latter.

It’s occurred to me that you like to argue. This particular one is over now so you can move on.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I suppose that everyone has their own priorities.

It’s not about priorities and you know that. It’s about practicality. And if it’s practical for him and for others to continue communicating the way they do, then there should be no objections from others.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A majority of the people I regularly associate with have iPhones, and the few who don’t have unlimited SMS as part of their wireless plan which is somewhat standard here in the U.S. and use the native messaging app that comes preinstalled on whatever device they are using. With that in mind, iMessage for Android could be a good thing, but I doubt it would change the way my non-iPhone using friends text me.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I suppose that everyone has their own priorities.

Of course.

Before messages were unlimited I asked friends to use WhatsApp and they agreed. Now that it’s unlimited we haven’t used it in years. If you have someone using imessage that’s upsetting you then ask them to use WhatsApp and save yourself the aggravation :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have someone using imessage that’s upsetting you then ask them to use WhatsApp and save yourself the aggravation :)

Exactly. I have never had someone complain to me that using iMessage or SMS is somehow costing them money. It’s not that I don’t care (I’m not THAT big of a jerk) I am just assuming that they’re not paying anything extra to message me. If they are, they’re apparently okay with it so I’m not concerned about it.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it's worth repeating Rob Phillips statement twice.

I think I am missing your point.

iMessage uses data so it will use the persons LTE or WiFi connection to receive the message.

SMS will use their text message limit from the carrier (majority of people in America have unlimited automatically with their plan).

Again -- what is the issue?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think I am missing your point.

iMessage uses data so it will use the persons LTE or WiFi connection to receive the message.

SMS will use their text message limit from the carrier (majority of people in America have unlimited automatically with their plan).

Again -- what is the issue?

Because SMS is not free for everyone, and your correspondent may have to pay to reply to your message. I really really think that is clear from the posts above.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Because SMS is not free for everyone, and your correspondent may have to pay to reply to your message. I really really think that is clear from the posts above.

It’s up to the correspondent to notify the other off their costs and ask for an alternative way to correspond. So I agree with the post above: what’s the big deal.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It’s up to the correspondent to notify the other off their costs and ask for an alternative way to correspond. So I agree with the post above: what’s the big deal.

Well, I can see that nobody else cares about this so I suggest we all move on.

I have two more questions:
1. How would I know if someone sent a message to my Android phone using iMessage? It would arrive as an SMS or MMS (*), right?
2. What does iMessage do when you send a message to another iMessage user, and you have a cellular connection but you don't have a data connection (for example, when roaming)? Does it send the message an SMS, or wait until you have a data connection, or ask you what to do, or something else?

(*) if it was an MMS, it is unlikely to arrive.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

It is for most people though. If it isn't to that one person they need to let you know and all will be well. I can't worry about everyone I text and their message plan -- they have to tell me theirs.

I have a buddy at work who didn't have unlimited text for the longest. He told me the day I sent him one and after that I emailed him things instead of texting. Simple as that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, I can see that nobody else cares about this so I suggest we all move on.

I have two more questions:
1. How would I know if someone sent a message to my Android phone using iMessage? It would arrive as an SMS or MMS (*), right?
2. What does iMessage do when you send a message to another iMessage user, and you have a cellular connection but you don't have a data connection (for example, when roaming)? Does it send the message an SMS, or wait until you have a data connection, or ask you what to do?

(*) well, probably not an MMS.

If they send a text to a non-iMessage device, they use the classic SMS service. Not iMessage. This means they are using their cellular plan to send messages.
I hope this clears it for you.
iMessage only uses internet to other iMessage users.

2. That is a setting in the iMessage section. See the included screenshot.
57a7b00eba3d8575b80639815e6c78dc.png

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
If they send a text to a non-iMessage device, they use the classic SMS service. Not iMessage. This means they are using their cellular plan to send messages.
I hope this clears it for you.
iMessage only uses internet to other iMessage users.

Ok thanks. That confirms that I don't know any iMessage users. Well, I guess that's not quite a valid conclusion - it confirms that I don't know anyone who uses iMessage to communicate with me.

Can anyone answer my second question? What does iMessage do when you send a message to another iMessage user, and you have a cellular connection but you don't have a data connection (for example, when roaming)? Does it send the message as an SMS, or wait until you have a data connection, or ask you what to do?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks. That confirms that I don't know any iMessage users. Well, I guess that's not quite a valid conclusion - it confirms that I don't know anyone who uses iMessage to communicate with me.

Can anyone answer my second question? What does iMessage do when you send a message to another iMessage user, and you have a cellular connection but you don't have a data connection (for example, when roaming)? Does it send the message an SMS, or wait until you have a data connection, or ask you what to do?

I edited my previous post. The answer is in there under #2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods