I'd be interested to know why IS rank iMessage and Facebook Messenger above WhatsApp. WhatsApp's end to end encryption should be very secure. Assuming you trust the closed source implementation of course - this is true of iMessage and Messenger too. Maybe it's because WhatsApp uses phone numbers? Other theories are welcome!
    No idea. I would have thought iMessage would be higher.
    06-19-2016 04:09 PM
    No idea. I would have thought iMessage would be higher.
    May I ask why? I would have expected iMessage to be lower rated than WhatsApp. After all, it falls back to SMS which is not particularly secure if you're worried about eavesdropping, and can be subject to legal intercept. Otherwise, they are both fairly similar, with end to end encryption specs that look good, but no way to confirm the quality and accuracy of the implementation.
    06-19-2016 04:48 PM
    May I ask why? I would have expected iMessage to be lower rated than WhatsApp. After all, it falls back to SMS which is not particularly secure if you're worried about eavesdropping, and can be subject to legal intercept. Otherwise, they are both fairly similar, with end to end encryption specs that look good, but no way to confirm the quality and accuracy of the implementation.
    Because of the apple vs FBI case after that you'd think iOS is very secure
    06-20-2016 10:29 PM
    Because of the apple vs FBI case after that you'd think iOS is very secure
    It ended because the FBI got access to the iPhone.
    anony_mouse and gg22 like this.
    06-20-2016 10:39 PM
    Those are two different types of messages. The iMessages you send are secure, but if you're not connected to the Internet, then SMS messages are sent NOT iMessages. It falls back to SMS for convenience, but there's a settings for the messages app that allows you to disable sending as SMS if you are already sending iMessages. Your security is only compromised if you chose to let your iMessages fall back to SMS.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-20-2016 10:41 PM
    Those are two different types of messages. The iMessages you send are secure, but if you're not connected to the Internet, then SMS messages are sent NOT iMessages. It falls back to SMS for convenience, but there's a settings for the messages app that allows you to disable sending as SMS if you are already sending iMessages. Your security is only compromised if you chose to let your iMessages fall back to SMS.
    OK, so any theories why IS rate iMessage as having higher security than WhatsApp (the opposite conclusion to the EFF)?
    06-21-2016 07:24 AM
    Exactly. Using an unknown vulnerability.
    06-21-2016 07:25 AM
    OK, so any theories why IS rate iMessage as having higher security than WhatsApp (the opposite conclusion to the EFF)?
    I'm sure they're considering iMessage to iMessage messages which has the encryption.
    06-21-2016 07:40 AM
    I think we can all conclude that both messaging platforms are very safe.
    Please stay on topic.
    06-21-2016 07:43 AM
    I'm sure they're considering iMessage to iMessage messages which has the encryption.
    Yes I acknowledged that above. So any theories for IS's stance?
    06-21-2016 07:46 AM
    I think we can all conclude that both messaging platforms are very safe.
    Please stay on topic.
    This is absolutely on topic. iMessage is only interesting to Android users if it brings something new to their platform. Improved security over other communication platforms could be that something. We're exploring that potential.
    06-21-2016 07:50 AM
    This is absolutely on topic. iMessage is only interesting to Android users if it brings something new to their platform. Improved security over other communication platforms could be that something. We're exploring that potential.
    No problem. Just making sure we don't venture off too far.
    06-21-2016 11:57 AM
    That has yet to be proven.
    06-23-2016 07:00 AM
    Unless they confiscate your phone, the FBI won't be seeing your iMessages.
    06-23-2016 08:52 AM
    Because Apple made it that way. As far as I know, no one has cracked iMessage.
    06-23-2016 08:56 AM
    Unless they confiscate your phone, the FBI won't be seeing your iMessages.
    That's pretty safe to say. I think that will become even more true with future iOS releases.
    06-23-2016 08:57 AM
    That's pretty safe to say. I think that will become even more true with future iOS releases.
    Now we all just need to cover our front-facing cameras like Zuck.
    scruffypig likes this.
    06-23-2016 10:01 AM
    Now we all just need to cover our front-facing cameras like Zuck.
    I put a little piece of scotch tape over just the camera lens so at least the video would be really blurry.
    06-23-2016 07:40 PM
    I put a little piece of scotch tape over just the camera lens so at least the video would be really blurry.
    did you test it so you know it's blurry?
    scruffypig likes this.
    06-23-2016 08:29 PM
    I remember there used to be an app that everyone was scared about. They said a cat called Angela was actually a person watching you through the FaceTime camera. Soon it will be Steve Jobs ghost haunting any android user that dares to use iMessage or FaceTime on their android phone.
    06-23-2016 09:10 PM
    Because Apple made it that way. As far as I know, no one has cracked iMessage.
    True - but as far as I know, no-one has cracked WhatsApp either. So I still wonder why IS rates iMessage as having higher security than WhatsApp. I'm not attacking iMessage, just curious.
    06-24-2016 06:46 AM
    True - but as far as I know, no-one has cracked WhatsApp either. So I still wonder why IS rates iMessage as having higher security than WhatsApp. I'm not attacking iMessage, just curious.
    It could be that IS issued their recommendations before Whatsapp started using end-to-end security?
    06-28-2016 08:48 PM
    It could be that IS issued their recommendations before Whatsapp started using end-to-end security?
    Perhaps you're right.

I find it interesting that we're discussing IS's security recommendations in this way.
    06-29-2016 04:18 AM
    How does someone SMSing me cost me money? Honestly, I know hardly anybody using WhatsApp. Where do you live? I'm wondering if usage varies a lot by location.
    It costs *them* money to SMS you!!!!!! You are not the only party affected by your use of iMessage.
    07-13-2017 04:42 AM
    Doesn't cost me anything
    Do you see any problems with that statement?
    07-13-2017 04:43 AM
100 1234