Why would anyone use iMessage? Why not WhatsApp? Or just good old SMS?
    I mean with most all carriers giving unlimted texting anyway why not use SMS. No worry about whos is using what app just send it and forget it
    06-11-2016 05:33 PM
    Why would anyone use iMessage? Why not WhatsApp? Or just good old SMS?
    Because its on the iPhone and why not? It takes no more work or effort to use iMessage over SMS. The phone itself switches between the two automatically depending on the receiving device. You can send high-res photos, videos, etc over it as well. Delivery receipts, read receipts, typing indicator just to name a few of the features. On top of that, iMessage is encrypted end-to-end so there cant be any eavesdropping on your messaging and saying between any of the participants.
    robertk328 likes this.
    06-12-2016 12:03 PM
    If this happens, the next Galaxy Note will be mine.
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-12-2016 08:18 PM
    Dbf8085, That may not be the case in Brazil, or South Africa, or Ukraine, or Spain, or Qubec, etc.

Also, that doesn't guarantee international SMS/MMS is free.

Lastly, iMessage allows you to sent almost everything at a high quality. MMS, not so much and what's supported out of the box is heavily dependent on the client software on the device.
    06-12-2016 08:22 PM
    Android user here. The big difference and why iMessage might be a better solution for everyone is that when my iPhone friends send videos, the video quality is destroyed and it's a tiny, pixelated mess. If the same video is sent by email, it's perfect. I'd be fine looking into iMessage and even paying for it if it is offered. I think a lot of others will too since Hangouts never really took off. I'm about as Android as they come but for texting, I use Textra.

I saw some other comments about people leaving Apple for an Android device if iMessage comes to Android. I don't really see that happening all that much. People who love their iPhones tend to love the ecosystem for a reason. Same way that Android users love the way Android works.

It would be nice to have a unified messaging app. Personally, I don't care who makes it as long as it works. iMessage just does. Props where they're due.
    06-13-2016 10:24 AM
    Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone I know paying for SMS messages for probably ten years.
    My previous AT&T plan didn't have unlimited SMS and was limited to 200 SMS messages. I got rid of it last year when I migrated away from Unlimited Data. I now have unlimited SMS.
    06-13-2016 03:39 PM
    Caught up a little late on the keynote and didn't hear/see a mention of iMessage for Android. Rumor that didn't come to pass i suppose.
    06-13-2016 05:12 PM
    Kinda disappointed this wasn't announced today. Oh well, I'll wait for Google's allo
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-13-2016 06:43 PM
    I'll never use another Google messaging platform because they have too many to the point that getting even Android users to use the one you want is as bad as getting them to switch to iPhone (sometimes worse, in my experience).

Also, you never know when they'll decide to reinvent the wheel.

Hangouts suffered the same faults as Skype. They tried to do too much with one app, and it ended up smelling like a freemium offering with built in advertisements for other (or commercial) services/components.
    06-13-2016 06:55 PM
    Hangouts suffered the same faults as Skype. They tried to do too much with one app, and it ended up smelling like a freemium offering with built in advertisements for other (or commercial) services/components.
    I've got Hangouts and it works ok for what it is -- basically instead of AIM at work when we're all spread out in different parts of the state/country.
    06-13-2016 07:09 PM
    Rumors squashed!! Thank god. Keep iMessage and FaceTime on Apple devices! One leverage Apple has going to their devices
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    06-16-2016 02:35 PM
    The following quote is from Walt Mossberg's piece on WWDC and Apple. You can find it on The Verge as I don't want to link outside of here.

When I asked a senior Apple executive why iMessage wasn’t being expanded to other platforms, he gave two answers. First, he said, Apple considers its own user base of 1 billion active devices to provide a large enough data set for any possible AI learning the company is working on. And, second, having a superior messaging platform that only worked on Apple devices would help sales of those devices — the company’s classic (and successful) rationale for years.
    It's pretty much what I figured.
    06-16-2016 07:06 PM
    The "help sales of those devices" is fine when you are in a growth phase, however iPhone is not. By taking this position, the very real risk is that other competing services go over the top and make Apples Messages irrelevant. I'm moving more and more to WhatsApp/Skype/FB Messenger, just to ensure that I can have the basic functionality of group chat with my friends, who don't all use iPhone.

I'd like to suggest that Apple should step up it's game and open Messages to other platforms (at least Android and Windows desktops), however I'm not sure it would make any difference at all, little to none of my friends who are on Android would install the app anyway, so this would be a wasted effort.

Don't get me wrong, the default always on and reliable blue bubble Messages are fantastic, however that excludes me from communicating with over half of my friends in a group chat. This was painfully evident the other day when we were arranging a dinner, all were iPhone users bar two, as a result the Message that was send out was sent to each person individually, no group chat, and the sender didn't understand this, she thought that everyone would see all of the replies. The result was that half of us went to the wrong venue and were 30 minutes late.

Our solution, move to WhatsApp.
    06-16-2016 07:58 PM
    The following quote is from Walt Mossberg's piece on WWDC and Apple. You can find it on The Verge as I don't want to link outside of here.

It's pretty much what I figured.
    That's pretty good that's what I figured I'm happy with that
    06-17-2016 06:29 AM
    That's pretty good that's what I figured I'm happy with that
    Armchair CEO rant incoming;

I remember reading Issacson's biography on Steve Jobs in which they spoke about iTunes being on Android. He said they were ready to develop it and he scrapped it eventually because "Why do I want to make Android users happy". In a sense I think it was wrong because it's a service that makes money for the company so furthering it to other platforms is a no-brainer. But in the case of iMessage, why does Apple want to make Android users happy? Where is the revenue for iMessage, ya know?

Over the years I think the "blue bubble" unintentionally became something popular. Just look at memes online regarding "green bubbles" and you'll see what I mean. Apple is probably better off keeping iMessage as iDevice exclusive as long as it has luster.
    jaleelhamid likes this.
    06-17-2016 03:32 PM
    Armchair CEO rant incoming;

I remember reading Issacson's biography on Steve Jobs in which they spoke about iTunes being on Android. He said they were ready to develop it and he scrapped it eventually because "Why do I want to make Android users happy". In a sense I think it was wrong because it's a service that makes money for the company so furthering it to other platforms is a no-brainer. But in the case of iMessage, why does Apple want to make Android users happy? Where is the revenue for iMessage, ya know?

Over the years I think the "blue bubble" unintentionally became something popular. Just look at memes online regarding "green bubbles" and you'll see what I mean. Apple is probably better off keeping iMessage as iDevice exclusive as long as it has luster.
    THIS.
    06-17-2016 03:37 PM
    It would be nice to have a unified messaging app. Personally, I don't care who makes it as long as it works. iMessage just does. Props where they're due.
    That would be WhatsApp. In my opinion it offers all the same advantages as iMessage and its cross platform. The nice thing about iMessages is that it's baked into the messaging application. There is no side application that you must use. Your phone determines whether to use iMessage or regular SMS. So that'd be the only draw back. But aside from that WhatsApp is great. I use it regularly.
    gg22 likes this.
    06-17-2016 04:00 PM
    Rumors squashed!! Thank god. Keep iMessage and FaceTime on Apple devices! One leverage Apple has going to their devices
    Thank god?! Really? Why would an iUser care if Android users got an iOS application? I don't think our experience would be ruined at all. I don't really need my iPhone to have "leverage". I'll enjoy my device just as much. It's all about what the best device is for YOU. People use these phones as status symbols. They are just smart devices lol.
    ladyc0524 and gg22 like this.
    06-17-2016 04:03 PM
    WhatsApp does not appear to be safe from various forms of malware and hackery, and is now owned by one of the arch data amalgamators of all time. I tried it because my kids had it and deleted it because it was a bit unreliable and I felt uncomfortable with it. I really like iMessage and it will send a sms to those who don't have it,so good enough for me.
    06-17-2016 05:25 PM
    I mean with most all carriers giving unlimted texting anyway why not use SMS. No worry about whos is using what app just send it and forget it
    The point, as I wrote elsewhere, is that:
    1. When you're communicating with a non-iPhone user, iMessage uses SMS (which is not free for everyone in the world) or MMS (which is expensive for a lot of people, and for many it simply doesn't work).
    2. WhatsApp can be used by pretty much all smart phone users, and allows text, picture and video messaging. And BTW, it also provides quite good voice over IP too.

But we're going round in circles now. As I said, I was just surprised to hear of iMessage being used as I currently have an Android phone and I very rarely get SMS's, and never MMS's, even from iPhone users. Almost all my text/picture messages, and an increasing proportion of calls, go via WhatsApp. Indeed, this trend is driven by the iPhone users I know. :-) As some say, maybe it varies from country to country.
    06-19-2016 10:24 AM
    WhatsApp does not appear to be safe from various forms of malware and hackery, and is now owned by one of the arch data amalgamators of all time. I tried it because my kids had it and deleted it because it was a bit unreliable and I felt uncomfortable with it. I really like iMessage and it will send a sms to those who don't have it,so good enough for me.
    As of April 5, 2016, WhatsApp has a score of 6 out of 7 points on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's "Secure Messaging Scorecard".
    06-19-2016 11:52 AM
    As of April 5, 2016, WhatsApp has a score of 6 out of 7 points on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's "Secure Messaging Scorecard".
    ...this is one higher than iMessage.
    06-19-2016 12:03 PM
    ...this is one higher than iMessage.
    They use true double end encryption. Very, very safe.
    06-19-2016 02:52 PM
    06-19-2016 03:20 PM
    I'd be interested to know why IS rank iMessage and Facebook Messenger above WhatsApp. WhatsApp's end to end encryption should be very secure. Assuming you trust the closed source implementation of course - this is true of iMessage and Messenger too. Maybe it's because WhatsApp uses phone numbers? Other theories are welcome!
    06-19-2016 03:28 PM
100 1234