Help me convert

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello, all. I'm looking into a new device and I need help in choosing.

Any type of help be greatly appreciated.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Vic and good luck with your search for a new device. I've learned that a search often starts with a want or a need. Once you figure out which of the two it is, go from there. If it is a need, the choice is almost always easier because needs are specific, but if it's a want then YOU will have to decide why YOU want it. I recommend you go down to your nearest Best Buy store and take a look with ALL of the devices they have on display and then decide which one best suits YOU. Again, good luck with your search. ;)

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Loving the feedback and thanks for taking a Blackberry user into the family.

I am looking into the IPhone, Motorola, Note3 or 4, Sony Xperia Z3, and Droid Maxx.

I need great battery life and simplicity.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
We don't convert people, not a cult or religion. That said, good call on abandoning the sinking ship. Out of the phones you listed, I'd pick either the iPhone or the Xperia Z3

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Well built phones in my opinion, but app selection is horrible.

I'm hitting too many buttons just to get to certain things on my phone as well. I need something that is simple and intuitive.

vsnlweb

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I am looking into the IPhone, Motorola, Note3 or 4, Sony Xperia Z3, and Droid Maxx.

Posted via the iMore App for Android[/
QUOTE]

IPhone 6 plus it is then... I am getting great battery life and I am a pretty heavy user... I usually get somewhere around 7 - 10 hrs usage and 18 + standby... Unless I'm in ****ty area with weak signal, then it drops a little. But every phone does that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If you need a no nonsense phone which should ALWAYS work with a stable operating system, I would suggest to go for iPhone 6 or 6+

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I just lest the Apple store and I really enjoyed the plus. I think the 4.7 screen is just too small.

Thanks for the advice.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
ROFL, your avatar is fitting for a Blackberry user :p

You need to ask yourself what it is you want. iOS is not simplistic but it is intuitive. It is also RELIABLE. You won't have any stuck processes in the OS itself. You will have greatly coded and native apps and you will have a great ecosystem where all devices work together.

Android you have customization but the OS is not always reliable and if you are using the skin Touchwhiz on Samsung phones then it laggy. With Android comes crashing, not the best always in app quality and the OS has some nasty wake locks and phantom processes that drain battery when idle.

Windows Phone, well, they are gearing up for Windows 10 now and they'll be focusing on that. If history is any indicator, you will lose a lot of needed functionality just like people did going from WP7 to WP8. It also took WP8 at least a year and a half to become decent; I haven't really looked at it in depth lately.

Blackberry is now focused on enterprise. They outsourced their consumer apps to the Amazon app store and it doesn't sound native app development is going to go anywhere except maybe in the enterprise area. You will be essentially running the Android runtime on your BB and it will introduce all the issues of Android along with some new not so great surprises given its not native. While BB is not done yet, it is my impression that they are slowly twirling down the drain. I admire those that are sticking with it even if I don't admire their cultish attitude.

If you want more information about switching from the Z10/Android ask because I've and a lot of others have been down that road

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Here is an unbiased opinion of both the android and iOS systems because I own both I feel I can let you in on my personal experiences with both.

The iOS works! It's clean, and to the point with what some and most people really need to do in the run of a day. The camera on the 6 is all around good I wouldn't call it amazing or anything but it's a cell phone so if you require more than what an iPhone could offer I'd suggest a DSLR camera. When it comes to user friendliness and everything just working perfectly together iOS wins the cake there is very minimal bloat ware on the iPhone so it doesn't require a ton of ram to make the thing move. You will here some uneducated people out there steer you towards android because of specks which have their merits but if the phone doesn't require the ram a galaxy does to run just as fast or faster why use it? Most apps run better on iOS and I find for the ones I use are paid better attention to as far as updates and what not is concerned.

On to the android ( galaxy s5 in my case ), has more customization options then iOS so if you are the tinkering type who likes to play around and set everything up on your phone everyday all day just because you can then this phone may be for you. It has a great camera in bright light conditions but doesn't seem to be as good as my iPhone 6 in low light. I find the os to be a little unpolished and not as smooth and buttery like apples. If you wanted to have an android software that matched the iphone in terms of smoothness I'd go nexus as it is the only "true Google android" around which is made by Google with Google software. Many of the other android makers over bloat the phones with too many options. Which some people can put up with to get the endless supply of tinkering bells and whistles. The screen in my opinion is great on the androids I'm not going to compare it to Apple because android phones tend to be a lot brighter with higher contrast and apple tends to use a more natural approach.

Me personally I love my iOS system. I can plug my galaxy in for a day just for something new and I can't wait to get home to put it away again and carry on with my iPhone. It does e mails great, texting is second to none, and no bs lagging and having to mess around. The most important part to me honestly which serves little value to really anyone is I love how on iOS the icons are all even and everything looks just clean. The android looks a bit sloppy and disorganized for my eyes. Hope I could help with this, and good luck on finding the phone that's right for you. Android makes some nice phones out there

timmy95

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Well I have used Android, iOS, and am currently using a Blackberry. If you need specialty apps then Apple would maybe be better, but for a basic communication device, I have had a lot better experience with my Z30. And I can easily go 2 days on one charge. Good luck!

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I have used Android, iOS, and am currently using a Blackberry. If you need specialty apps then Apple would maybe be better, but for a basic communication device, I have had a lot better experience with my Z30. And I can easily go 2 days on one charge. Good luck!

I, too, am a Z30 user. Love the phone, but app selection is the worse I have seen. A Lot of the Android app do not work well, either. BlackBerry WORLD, TOO EXPENSIVE. Plus, the way the company is just worried about business enterprise and leaving the average consumers out is not what I want.

Passport is a horrible looking phone, so I don't see this being the savior of the company.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

For a basic communication device, buy a flip phone for $30. No point wasting money on a Blackberry to accomplish the same things. If you want a smartphone, then spend the money and get one that actually expands the functionality of the phone. You need an ecosystem to do that, which you aren't going to see with a BB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro