Help decide. Thanks.

anon(8172934)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone! So we have decided to gift an iPhone to dad on his birthday. Our budget is about $520. iPhones are costlier in our country ( 5S is $900 here owing to the dollar conversions and duties. Not wise for us to spend that much on any smartphone ). Considering that dad hardly uses browsing, doesn't listen to much music and never watches movies on the go ( seldom videos ), we are confused which one to settle for: a 16GB iPhone 4 ( it is still available here for $425 ) or an 8GB iPhone 4S? The iPhone 5 has been unfortunately discontinued and the iPhone 5S is way beyond our budget. 5C is not an option since he is not a fan of plastic. Besides, he predominantly uses business and knowledge related and time management apps on his current smartphone. Will an 8GB 4S be sufficient? And this will be the first time he shall be using a touchscreen phone.

Your suggestions will be genuinely appreciated. It shall be a surprise gift for him. Thanks for your time!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you stuck on getting him one brand new? I'd buy a mint condition used iPhone 5 before going back to the 4S...and with the recent releases, I would imagine the iPhone 5 on the private market would be at or under your budget. It's a better investment right now because it's still a relevant phone (since the 5c still uses it's guts).

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Are you stuck on getting him one brand new? I'd buy a mint condition used iPhone 5 before going back to the 4S...and with the recent releases, I would imagine the iPhone 5 on the private market would be at or under your budget. It's a better investment right now because it's still a relevant phone (since the 5c still uses it's guts).

+1 agreed. Look in our Marketplace section and u may find what you're looking for in your budget

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
4s sounds fine, but there might be performance hicups down the road as the OS gets updated and the 4s ages. Have you considered a BlackBerry Q10? it doesn't sound like he needs the large screen and he might enjoy the physical keyboard.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
First of all, welcome to iMore. The 4S is a great device. I agree with Sean and rdiddy about the iPhone 5. Thinking a year down the road that would make more sense.

anon(8172934)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Even if we were to find an iPhone 5, a brand new will set us back by 750dollars. And we just can't gift him a used cell. Because he changes his cell once in 3 years. And he is not ok with used goods when it comes to electronics. Nothing against using used goods. Just that his requirements result in that conviction. He never has used a used gadget. And it shall be his first touchscreen phone. I know it sounds weird. But, I totally understand what you mean by the 4S' hardware falling behind a year down the line. A risk of getting outdated.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Even if we were to find an iPhone 5, a brand new will set us back by 750dollars. And we just can't gift him a used cell. Because he changes his cell once in 3 years. And he is not ok with used goods when it comes to electronics. Nothing against using used goods. Just that his requirements result in that conviction. He never has used a used gadget. And it shall be his first touchscreen phone. I know it sounds weird. But, I totally understand what you mean by the 4S' hardware falling behind a year down the line. A risk of getting outdated.

I can appreciate that. The 4S is still a great phone...but I think you'll start to see it get overwhelmed with function as updates to iOS 7 come in...the device is over 2 years old now, so it's tech life is growing a bit long in tooth.

To be honest, I'd still check the private market and see if someone has a new, unopened iPhone 5 at a discount. Surely there has to be some, and less than $750 (even at the premium rate you pay, I can't imagine a cheaper price not being out there).

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I understand what you're saying. The 4S is a wonderful device and runs the current iOS fine. But if he keeps his phone for 3 years just keep in mind the 4S is already 2 years old. Good luck!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I as well Welcome you to iMore as everyone else and also can get where you are going with your thoughts here. Even though I have a 4S until my 5S get shipped to the Apple store to pick up I could not have gotten a better phone over these 2 years but the 5 would be the smart more as Sean and others have indicated. Best of luck to you and welcome again to iMore and Mobile Nations.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5 would be the only option I'd consider to be honest. With the way apples upgrading their os the 4s won't handle iOS 8 very well. If you want a phone that's gonna last as long as you say I'd get the 5 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone! So we have decided to gift an iPhone to dad on his birthday. Our budget is about $520. iPhones are costlier in our country ( 5S is $900 here owing to the dollar conversions and duties. Not wise for us to spend that much on any smartphone ). Considering that dad hardly uses browsing, doesn't listen to much music and never watches movies on the go ( seldom videos ), we are confused which one to settle for: a 16GB iPhone 4 ( it is still available here for $425 ) or an 8GB iPhone 4S? The iPhone 5 has been unfortunately discontinued and the iPhone 5S is way beyond our budget. 5C is not an option since he is not a fan of plastic. Besides, he predominantly uses business and knowledge related and time management apps on his current smartphone. Will an 8GB 4S be sufficient? And this will be the first time he shall be using a touchscreen phone.

Your suggestions will be genuinely appreciated. It shall be a surprise gift for him. Thanks for your time!

My first question is: what is he using now and what does he like/dislike about it? Find something that fits those needs/wants rather than a particular model.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore ,

If you need help use the search tool found here: Search iMore

If you can't find what you are looking for just ask. That's why we are here.

Again Welcome to iMore and enjoy your stay!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, welcome to iMore and thank you for seeking advice from the members of our great community. Having said that, the device given by SeanHRCC and the others are spot-on. The 4S is a heckuva device and probably my all-time favorite iPhone to this point, however, if you can get an iPhone 5 within your price range, get it. The 4S is now 3 years old, but I'm speaking in terms of technology. If the device will indeed be used in the manner you stated above, then the 4S will get the job done.

anon(8172934)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Hope you enjoy this nice community. :) I agree with Sean above. You would be better off looking for a discounted iPhone 5 as this will run better for you with iOS 7 and it will be capable of running at least one more big update without issues. I know some places are still selling the 5 until their supplies run out.

Indeed some places are selling it till their supplies run out. However, it is way beyond the budget. Minimum by $150. Is there any option that one cannot upgrade to iOS8 if ever it were to release for the 4S?

anon(8172934)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
First of all, welcome to iMore and thank you for seeking advice from the members of our great community. Having said that, the device given by SeanHRCC and the others are spot-on. The 4S is a heckuva device and probably my all-time favorite iPhone to this point, however, if you can get an iPhone 5 within your price range, get it. The 4S is now 3 years old, but I'm speaking in terms of technology. If the device will indeed be used in the manner you stated above, then the 4S will get the job done.

Terrific. Thanks a lot! It shall indeed be used in the manner stated above.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Indeed some places are selling it till their supplies run out. However, it is way beyond the budget. Minimum by $150. Is there any option that one cannot upgrade to iOS8 if ever it were to release for the 4S?

You don't necessarily HAVE to upgrade to the newest iOS version (iOS 7), and because the 4S would have been shipped on iOS 6, you could easily just keep it like that. To be honest though, iOS 7 runs fine enough on the 4S to where I would certainly suggest upgrading to it.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
probably not of much value, but I wouldn't categorically rule out the 5C because he 'doesn't like plastic'. I think he would be pleasantly surprised about the feeling of the 5C, feels premium and not at all plastic. And as a device it's just a big leap forward from the 4S. Therefore my vote goes to a white 16GB 5C. Sleek, 'forward thinking', maybe just about affordable?

anon(8172934)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, great news. We have decided iPhone 5C 16GB. It released here on 1st November. Thanks everyone for your time again!

My sister owns a Galaxy S3.
I own a Galaxy Note and Lumia.
Mom uses a Nokia C1 I guess.
With whatever limited time I have had with iPhones of my cousins, friends and demo units at stores, iOS is the most beautiful and simple OS ever with the least hiccups. I shall be hopefully shifting next year. Windows keeps on becoming boring and Android keeps stammering and its flagships are huge. I hope Apple never creates an iPhone over 4.5 inches. 4 inches is very good. As for now, we are all excited that dad will be using an iPhone after coming from his 3.5 years old Nokia E72. Yup, as I said, he changes every 3 to 4 years. Wouldn't be surprised if that frequency reduces to 2 years once he becomes a supposed 'fanboy'.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner