Long-time Android user gets an iPhone 5s (long post)

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I've been using Android for about 3.5 years, starting with the Droid Incredible in May 2010. I decided to get an iPhone 5s for work, because.... well, why not? :) I'm not one of these people who have had any real issues with Android, as I normally stick with Nexus devices and stock Android. Anybody who says stock Android has performance issues on a good phone like the Nexus 4 is either lying, or grossly misinformed. My Nexus 4 right out of the box is EVERY BIT as smooth as the 5s is, but, hey... that's not why I'm posting here :) I'm just saying that I am not one of these disgruntled Android users, and I have rooted & installed custom roms, so I am well aware of what Android is capable of.

The first thing I noticed about iOS is that, while it is definitely limited in some ways vs Android, it tends to lay things out how I would normally use them anyway, and I get out of the box what I would normally have to install 3rd party apps or launchers for to get the same functionality on Android. And a lot of times, it's the little things that make the most difference. Like the contact favorites list is presented as a list, rather than the weird grid view that Android uses. Even though I didn't want to, I had to upload images to my Android phone, even for people I didn't have pictures for, just to keep from accidentally dialing the wrong person in my favorites list. Notifications on the lock screen is another thing I LOOOOVE! I haven't seen a lock screen widget on Android that is as good at this as iOS.

I also like having the 'unread count' numbers over app icons, something you don't get on stock Android either. And unlike Google Now on Android, I've found that dialing contacts using Siri actually works reliably, and the camera... well, the iPhone wins hands down :) And the lightning connector... being able to plug it in from either orientation is worth whatever markup Apple is charging for these cables, IMO. I haven't played with the do not disturb mode, but that's another thing stock Android doesn't have that I really wanted, and this is DEFINITELY not something I wanted to rely on some janky 3rd party app for, which could force close and leave my phone in silent mode.

I've only had the phone for about a day, so I haven't had a chance to play much with apps. But I DID have a chance to play with Google Voice. And, although it's not as tightly integrated as it is in Android (which I thought would be a deal-breaker), I find its layout to be cleaner than the Android version, and it seems good enough to be used as the primary dialer. And since my phone contacts are synced with Google, I don't have to keep up with separate contact lists.

Am I saying that iOS is for everyone? Hell no :p I have friends that would be absolutely miserable with it. They install custom roms almost nightly, use tasker for all kinds of automation, have NFC tags strewn all over their houses, etc. Fortunately, I have no need for any of that, and I find that I'm pretty happy with the iOS stock keyboard as well. I got out of the custom rom thing over a year ago... you can do some awesome stuff with them, but everybody has their priorities, and that just isn't mine anymore.

Am I going to switch to iPhone as my primary phone? Not sure yet. There's still a couple of deal-breakers, such as the inability to wireless tether. However, an initial Google search indicates there's a hack or two floating around to do this without jailbreaking, so I plan to look into that. And although I don't really need a full-blown file manager like Android has, I need to look into ways of transferring music/photos/etc to/from the PC without needing iTunes. Apple does good stuff sometimes, but iTunes is not one of them :p Also, this phone feels damn tiny compared to the ones I'm used to. I know Apple isn't all about options, but they really need to get on board with bigger phone sizes.

But as a work phone, I think it's going to do just fine :)

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
"inability to wireless tether"... if you have the feature as a part of your service plan, it's as easy as going to Settings>> Personal Hotspot>> and turning it on...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the initial review and welcome to iMore. Hopefully, the iPhone 5S will become your daily driver, but if not, no biggie. It's all about finding what suits consumers best. Anyway, take care and have a great weekend....:)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. If you need help use the search tool found here: Search iMore If you can't find what you are looking for just ask. That's why we are here. Again Welcome to iMore and enjoy your stay!

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Tethering is only related to your carrier plan.

Actually, it isn't. There are quite a few ways on Android to wireless tether without rooting, irrespective of whether or not you're paying your carrier more money to use data that you're already paying for. On my Nexus 4, I just hit a button that says 'wireless hotspot' :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Without a doubt enjoy your new 5S as many new members like yourself and even seasoned members are. We are happy to have you hear and wish you the best. Thank you for the great opinion on your new phone. :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely of that same camp where as I grow older, I feel like I have less desire to tinker. I know that feeling really well.

It's good you took that step to try iOS and I hope you experience much more wonderful things as you discover this fresh new plateau!

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It continues to baffle me why Telcos have an issue with how people choose to use their data. If I want to tether my phone so I am browse the web on my ipad or laptop, it's my choice, plus at the end of the day, I am still paying for it, and not using any more data than initially allotted.

That said, I hope you enjoy your spanking new 5s, and don't hesitate to approach us if you need to figure out how to perform a particular task. :D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore community. If you need help with anything, just ask.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So far, after using the iPhone 5s for a few days, I've only ran into one major aggravation... why do so many app devs on iOS seem hellbent on not letting the user change their default notification sound? So far, Facebook is the only app I've seen the does. Even the pager service that we use at work (Pagerduty.com) has an iPhone and Android app, and if you look at the settings for each one, you see the iPhone version (on the left) has one glaring, and annoying omission:

pagerduty.jpg

Google Plus and Google Voice, though not quite identical to the Android versions, have the same limitation on iOS. So, what gives? Is there like a hidden panel for notification sound in Settings that I'm missing, or something?

JSHidaka

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So far, after using the iPhone 5s for a few days, I've only ran into one major aggravation... why do so many app devs on iOS seem hellbent on not letting the user change their default notification sound? So far, Facebook is the only app I've seen the does. Even the pager service that we use at work (Pagerduty.com) has an iPhone and Android app, and if you look at the settings for each one, you see the iPhone version (on the left) has one glaring, and annoying omission:

View attachment 40224

Google Plus and Google Voice, though not quite identical to the Android versions, have the same limitation on iOS. So, what gives? Is there like a hidden panel for notification sound in Settings that I'm missing, or something?

Welcome to Apple world, sadly they don't let you customize many things(or none at all) like android let you...

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. This is to best place to find out anything you need to know iOS based. Enjoy your new device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amyleslo

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Such a really nice and great informative post.After read thread post i have gain lot of experienced related to iPhone App and Development.Thanks for share with us.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro