New to iPhone from Android

jefbystereo

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Well technically it isn't me, but my wife ordered an iPhone 5s at my recommendation (I probably will too once my contract is up). We have only had android so far so I wanted some advice from those who are big users of google services (gmail, maps, and hangouts in particular). I have been searching but havent found concrete answers on if you get Gmail notifications or hangout chat notifications without the app being open. Any ideas or threads or articles I can take a look at?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Well technically it isn't me, but my wife ordered an iPhone 5s at my recommendation (I probably will too once my contract is up). We have only had android so far so I wanted some advice from those who are big users of google services (gmail, maps, and hangouts in particular). I have been searching but havent found concrete answers on if you get Gmail notifications or hangout chat notifications without the app being open. Any ideas or threads or articles I can take a look at?

Gmail, Maps and Hangouts both have sent me notifications while closed or not in focus. You should be fine!

On a side note, welcome to the dark side!

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore. I don't use Hangputs but no problem getting notification from gmail and maps while apps are closed.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

jefbystereo

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, the phone arrives in November unfortunately since she ordered gold so I'm reading up in the meantime. Glad to hear about notifications, as you can see I am an iOS newb.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, and thank you for introducing yourself to us. If you haven't already, please take a moment to view our Community Rules & Guidelines HERE, and If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you again, and take care…:)

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore Community jefbystereo :biggrin: Your wife is gonna love her new phone and after you play with it you will want one too :laughing:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all most important please allow me to welcome you to your and your wifes new home...iMore where you are going to love it and find everything you will need to know in these forums. Why not try this forum to strat off with for your Gmail questions. Google and Gmail - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

In the case that you don't find the exact answer, Please post back and let us know and together we will all find the answer the best we can for you. Also you can go to our Blog side and click on How to...go to the search and put in a few keywords to see what you get. How do you think I do it... Just kidding you but it is a handy tool to find answers if we are not around. Once again Welcome and enjoy yourself.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore ,

If you need help use the search tool found here: Search iMore

If you can't find what you are looking for just ask. That's why we are here.

Again Welcome to iMore and enjoy your stay!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

You will find all the Google Services you know and love are right here on the iPhone, complete with notifications. You can install iTunes on your computer and browse the App Store while you wait for your iPhone to arrive.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Welcome to iMore and I hope your wife will enjoy her 5S when it arrives. As others have said, you should have no problems with GMail or Hangout notifications while the apps are not open.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Gmail notifications work fine for me. Gmail, maps, etc don't work as fluent on iOS than on android though. They work fine, they do. But you'll notice that there are, how do I phrase, "missing holes" when using google services with iOS. You might just like the stock mail, maps, and safari apps that come along with the iPhone. Just throwing that out there. But welcome to the forums! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner