Hi Everyone

Eli_B

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone..I'm Eli.

Some of you might know me from the CrackBerry forums, because I own a few BlackBerry devices (a phone and the tablet).

However, tonight, I am the proud owner of an new device.

Back in 2007, I bought the very first iPod touch. It served me very well over the years, and it lasted me from 2007 until 2012. I have been wanting to get another one for a while, but I never got around to it.

So, I did what any good person would do in order to do research on Apple devices. I went to the Apple store. The one I went to was on 5th Ave. in Manhattan.

When I got there, I asked a lot of question to many people to find out as much as I could about the new iPod and the iPad Mini.

Two hours later, I made my decision and I am now the proud owner of an iPad Mini in white..the wifi only 16gig version.

The thing I found really cool about this device while playing with it is how incredibly THIN it is. I was comparing it to my PlayBook(which I also really like) and it's really a featherweight. It's amazing.

Siri was nice to play with as well (I had some fun with it).

However, the thing that I found really cool was when an Apple employee showed me that if you swipe out to either side on the keyboard, it SPLITS into two. That was a really nice feature...especially in Landscape mode..and since I have a blog and like to write, that feature will be very useful to me.

Anyways, I rambled on long enough. Tomorrow..er..later today.. I will set everything up and look forward to getting some great use out of it.

I guess the one question I have is this: I JUST did an update for 17 of my apps via the app store in iTunes. These are all apps that I bought and used on my 1st gen iPod.

Will they work on my iPad mini or will I have to either buy or download newer versions? Does anyone know?

Thanks

-Eli

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, sir. Hopefully, you'll enjoy your time here as you did at CB. :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That iPad mini is a gateway device... soon, you'll be into iPhones... and maybe even get yourself a Mac.

Welcome to the cult. :D

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and please ask anything you need to know. There are alot of very IOS tech savy people here.

Eli_B

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for the very warm welcome.

Truth be told, I grew up on an Apple II GS (back in the late 80s and early 90s) and then had a Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 w/ docking station (Anyone remember those..?)

I actually would like to get myself another mac eventually....just have to save myself a bit of money.
So my first impressions of the iPad Mini are wonderful. I really like using it. It's a wonderful device.

I was kind of surprised that when I opened some of my programs, that it opened up small instead of big (like Skype, for example) and I had to push the 2x button to make it bigger. When I did tho, it came up a bit blurry.

I also have a game...Chaos Rings (great game for those who have not played it..it's very much like final fantasy)....that's an iPod version only. If I put it on my iPad, will it open up small too?

My final question is: I can't get free upgrades to the iPad version of any program, can I..? I need to buy them all over again..?

Thanks..
-Eli

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello Eli, welcome to iMore hope you learn/share a lot and have fun around.
As you already discovered some iPhone/iPod only apps (the ones w/o the + symbol) will open on iPads because they are compatible, but won't open full size and will look "blurry" and show the 2x option, because they are not optimized.
Hope that helps a bit. Good luck! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen