How can I prevent my Instagram account from being hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selibish

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I often face the fact my Instagram accounts are hacked. What could be the reason? And how do I find out who is doing this? How to protect accounts or there is no 100% way?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hacking Instagram account

I often face the fact my Instagram accounts are hacked. What could be the reason? And how do I find out who is doing this? How to protect accounts or there is no 100% way?

Please contact Instagram Support. They would be the best source of information regarding this matter. Thanks.

https://help.instagram.com

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest you enable two-factor authentication on your Instagram account, and make sure you use unique strong passwords everywhere.
https://help.instagram.com/566810106808145

And practice proper password hygiene, which is simply put: long, random and unique passwords for each service and device, two factor authentication everywhere, never reuse passwords. And use a password manager :)
iCloud Keychain is a good starting point if you use only Apple devices. There are others as well such as 1Password, KeePass, etc.

Selibish

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I knew that you could even order a hacking service, but I didn't think it could be that easy. I have turned all available protection methods. Hope this helps to protect my account better.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I knew that you could even order a hacking service, but I didn't think it could be that easy. I have turned all available protection methods. Hope this helps to protect my account better.

I don't have Instagram. But I see many on Facebook who claim to have been hacked. But that's not the case. It's copycats, who take whatever personal info one shows publicly, and creates a copy of an account. In those cases, there's nothing one can do, except ignore it and warn friends not to friend the copycat. Changing the password does nothing.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't have Instagram. But I see many on Facebook who claim to have been hacked. But that's not the case. It's copycats, who take whatever personal info one shows publicly, and creates a copy of an account. In those cases, there's nothing one can do, except ignore it and warn friends not to friend the copycat. Changing the password does nothing.

You can also report the account as fake.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know why accounts are hacked and who orders such services. Is this ordered in order to sell such accounts later?

Welcome to iMore. I have no idea why this happens, but I do know that it’s wrong… stealing always is!

It’s sometimes just to make money like you have hypothesized [mention]Serugert [/mention].

I recently listened to this podcast episode about one such case… https://overcast.fm/+PMNd2EI5o

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't even know why accounts are hacked and who orders such services. Is this ordered in order to sell such accounts later?

Actual hacks are rare. Most of the time it's a copycat. The best thing to do on Facebook, is don't make anything public. The less they see, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711