The night before last, I couldn't sleep, so I was checking things out on my iPhone- weather, mail, iMore, Facebook, and then Instagram. I started scrolling, and suddenly a video was playing, and the volume blared into the room, startling me, and worse, waking my husband, who has issues sleeping. Needless to say, I was livid, and my husband was NOT HAPPY!

So I spent time yesterday, surfing around, trying to figure out how to disable videos from automatically playing. I found an article here on iMore, but it didn't seem to work. So in desperation (ok, I admit I'm exaggerating a bit) I am posting this query in hopes that someone here will have a solution.

I am attempting to cover all bases- I have tweeted to Instagram on Twitter, and am currently drafting an email to Instagram support.
    02-12-2020 09:20 AM
    As far as I know respects Instagram your wishes in regard to audio.
    If you open the Instagram app and don’t tap on a video, it will play muted.
    Once you tap on the video, audio will sound.
    Once you switch to another app and switch back to Instagram, videos will be muted again until you tap it.
    02-12-2020 10:08 AM
    As far as I know respects Instagram your wishes in regard to audio.
    If you open the Instagram app and don’t tap on a video, it will play muted.
    Once you tap on the video, audio will sound.
    Once you switch to another app and switch back to Instagram, videos will be muted again until you tap it.
    This makes sense. I was definitely scrolling, so when I came across the video, it started to play automatically. I guess I could turn my volume down when I open the app. Thanks!
    02-12-2020 10:41 AM
    This makes sense. I was definitely scrolling, so when I came across the video, it started to play automatically. I guess I could turn my volume down when I open the app. Thanks!
    You won’t have to. Videos play without sound unless you tap on the video.
    I’d say, try it out now, while everyone is awake.
    02-12-2020 11:06 AM
    You won’t have to. Videos play without sound unless you tap on the video.
    I’d say, try it out now, while everyone is awake.
    I just tried it and a video played with sound without me tapping on it!
    02-12-2020 11:18 AM
    I just tried it and a video played with sound without me tapping on it!
    Oh that’s weird.
    Annie_M likes this.
    02-12-2020 12:57 PM
    @Annie, you may have to change something in the settings within Instagram. Check there.
    Annie_M likes this.
    02-12-2020 01:29 PM
    Annie try muting a video and then totally closing out IG. It’s supposed to stay on your last setting.
    02-12-2020 02:00 PM
    That may have done it! Thanks!!!!

(and thanks to everyone else)
    Tartarus and wenrob like this.
    02-12-2020 02:03 PM
    With the new changes in Instagrams over recent past, there isn't a way to stop auto playing of videos (like it is possible in Facebook). You can still go to your Profile > Settings > Account > Mobile data Use and turn ON the "Use less data" option. Although it doesn't stop or change anything. More so if you are on Wifi then nothing happens either. For the sound in videos, you can tap on any video to mute it and subsequent all videos will remain muted. You can try to close Instagram and launch it back to check if videos still remain muted or not. For me it does
    05-13-2020 03:18 AM
    With the new changes in Instagrams over recent past, there isn't a way to stop auto playing of videos (like it is possible in Facebook). You can still go to your Profile > Settings > Account > Mobile data Use and turn ON the "Use less data" option. Although it doesn't stop or change anything. More so if you are on Wifi then nothing happens either. For the sound in videos, you can tap on any video to mute it and subsequent all videos will remain muted. You can try to close Instagram and launch it back to check if videos still remain muted or not. For me it does
    Thanks for the tip!
    05-13-2020 12:36 PM
    You can't stop them from automatically playing, but if you mute one, they all stay muted until you unmute.
    05-13-2020 01:42 PM
    You can't stop them from automatically playing, but if you mute one, they all stay muted until you unmute.
    I will give that a shot! Thanks!
    05-13-2020 02:53 PM