Who’s states / countries are starting to open up?

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Understandable everyone wants to get the hell out of the house however if some states goes into it too fast and without a solid plan it could cause a serious spike in cases and jam up the ICU wards and set things back to where this all started . Be Very careful .

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I’m in California and not yet: in fact beaches were closed after last weekend because people simply can’t stay cooped up.

I must admit, I totally get people who won’t stay in anymore: I type this from a disgustingly privileged position and I’m fully aware of it: I have space I can call my own and as such I get to walk in the fresh air and I can only imagine what life must be like for those who live in apartment buildings or whose houses are stuck right next to each other, it must be hell.

I actually find myself agreeing with Sweden:
Maybe it’s because my man and I were both sick, REALLY sick with all the listed symptoms, we got better, we both relapsed and got better again, and though we haven’t been able to get tested, we’re pretty sure we both have at least some immunity.

Most scientists believe that the virus is here to stay and that, as with the flu, we will have to live with it or die, and that until there is a vaccine or a cure, herd immunity is our best shot.

I have siblings in Europe who are both immune compromised so the fear is very real, but even they say that unless they can catch it and recover, they don’t hold much hope to beat this thing.

I have no opinion on whether or not to reopen here in the states, because so far I’ve been really lucky and I can’t imagine what it must be like to fear touching or breathing anything for fear of dying.

I do wish for antibodies tests for everyone: I feel that this is key to guiding the powers that be on how to reopen.
Though as far as silly things like hair appointments: I’ll shave my head smooth and bare before I put my hairstylist at risk.

Happy immune function, everyone.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
For most of the US, it's much too soon. Hong Kong had a second round of infection that rivaled the first.

Do you happen to know if the new cases surfaced in people who had already caught it and recovered or if they were (for lack of a better term) “coronavirus virgins”?
I’m curious about this because so far no one knows if catching it and recovering offers any kind of immunity 🤷🏻*♀️

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Do you happen to know if the new cases surfaced in people who had already caught it and recovered or if they were (for lack of a better term) “coronavirus virgins”?
I’m curious about this because so far no one knows if catching it and recovering offers any kind of immunity *

I’m not sure if they know but they do say you can catch it twice so imagine it was both.
There is no right answer here. We need to come up with a new way of living, at least for a while. We need to open businesses eventually but can’t go back to it being a free for all. There needs to be a compromise.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I urge you to follow the information at who.int. There have been some reports of reinfection, but I am not currently able to identify or verify sources.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
My perspective here on an island with a fairly high population density and essential one industry ( Tourism & it's supportive services plus government and administrative services) is that caution is worth its weight in gold. Any carelessness borne out of cabin fever could easily topple & overwhelm our medical infrastructure 'for good'. My wife is hypertensive, I am a controlled diabetic, also hypertensive. We are both mid-late 60's.... From Monday there will be relaxed curfew / lockdown ie it will be 8PM to 6 AM -no 'off property' activity except very limited and specified essentials. Now it's 24 hrs /day fairly restrictive, police enforced. Daytime will permit medical visits, pharmacy, limited shopping at businesses which reopen, which will be few. Our shopping is one shopper / household (alphabetical) each having a morning (7-11) and an afternoon (1-4) per week ie I am Tues afternoons & Friday mornings. National ID with picture needed to verify name for entry to grocers, banks or any name scheduled service. Banking is one day/week if Teller services needed but ATM's relatively unrestricted. Beaches are closed until Monday then only open 6-9 AM. No alcohol sales, no 'day / name restriction' for small grocers / bakeries. 6 ft social distancing and masks mandatory outside of one's home. Supermarkets may accept 75 in store, smaller grocers 50, small shops 3 -ie 2 shopping, one in cashier line. Very little hoarding ever happened simply in the people can't afford to financially -it's simply the IF one prioritized an item to get lots of, one then had to forego something else. Most businesses & employers strictly work from home.
SO - it's tedious but workable if not for too long. It's been 6 weeks & I expect a few things will be relaxed at 2 week intervals going forward but no normalcy until probably Aug or Sept. Hurricane season in approaching too but doesn't really 'spin up' until August. Our economy really couldn't be worse off but care is needed in the utmost to protect our medical resources so let's take our time.

Last edited:

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
My perspective here on an island with a fairly high population density and essential one industry ( Tourism & it's supportive services plus government and administrative services) is that caution is worth its weight in gold. Any carelessness borne out of cabin fever could easily topple & overwhelm our medical infrastructure 'for good'. My wife is hypertensive, I am a controlled diabetic, also hypertensive. We are both mid-late 60's.... From Monday there will be relaxed curfew / lockdown ie it will be 8PM to 6 AM -no 'off property' activity except very limited and specified essentials. Now it's 24 hrs /day fairly restrictive, police enforced. Daytime will permit medical visits, pharmacy, limited shopping at businesses which reopen, which will be few. Our shopping is one shopper / household (alphabetical) each having a morning (7-11) and an afternoon (1-4) per week ie I am Tues afternoons & Friday mornings. National ID with picture needed to verify name for entry to grocers, banks or any name scheduled service. Banking is one day/week if Teller services needed but ATM's relatively unrestricted. Beaches are closed until Monday then only open 6-9 AM. No alcohol sales, no 'day / name restriction' for small grocers / bakeries. 6 ft social distancing and masks mandatory outside of one's home. Supermarkets may accept 75 in store, smaller grocers 50, small shops 3 -ie 2 shopping, one in cashier line. Very little hoarding ever happened simply in the people can't afford to financially -it's simply the IF one prioritized an item to get lots of, one then had to forego something else. Most businesses & employers strictly work from home.
SO - it's tedious but workable if not for too long. It's been 6 weeks & I expect a few things will be relaxed at 2 week intervals going forward but no normalcy until probably Aug or Sept. Hurricane season in approaching too but doesn't really 'spin up' until August. Our economy really couldn't be worse off but care is needed in the utmost to protect our medical resources so let's take our time.

Fully agree , take care my friend .

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ohio is beginning to open up, albeit very slowly as I eluded to in my previous post. Dental offices and Veterinarians opened on Friday, but they have strict protocols to follow. Some stores are opening up soon, but again, there will be strict protocols to follow. There is a huge outcry from hair/nail salons to be allowed to open, as well as restaurants. Our Governor has formed committees with people from those industries to figure out the best and safest way to do this. This takes time. I am on the fence about this. I don't want to come back too soon and then go on "lockdown" again, but it will be so nice to be able to see friends and family. Thank goodness for FaceTime and HouseParty, and other similar technology.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Here in Michigan we have opened construction, landscaping, auto industry starts next week, but still no restaurants, auto or motorcycle dealers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice